1. eNewsletter Sign Up

The Ultimate Canol Thread:

Discussion in 'Canada' started by windquest, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Square1

Square1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Went to Ross River for gas and had a look at the ferry crossing to the North Canol.
    We had to leave that for a later time...

0824180931_HDR.jpg

0824180943_HDR.jpg
  2. BlackdogADV

BlackdogADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just posted under the general Canada section then just discovered this thread. This Is what I posted:

I know Canol road gradually deteriorates somewhere between Ross River and Norman Wells. From Ross River how close can I expect to get to Norman Wells? I'll be on a Husqvarna 701 and lightly packed. If I could make it to the Mackenzie River is there anyone at Norman Wells that could get me across?

I haven't read all 38 pages on Canol Rd but will when I get time. At this point I'm thinking that getting to the NWT boarder is all I'll be able to do. I'll be solo as all my friends have turned gay. Thanks
  3. BlackdogADV

BlackdogADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    For you Canol Road- Robert Campbell travelers be advised we have an excellent contact near Ross River. I stayed with them on my way to Prudhoe Bay last year and again on my Dempster trip this year.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/surprise-in-ross-river-yukon-territory.1257987/

They won't ask for anything but it would be good to bring a bottle of wine or bacon and eggs for breakfast as Jude loves to cook.
    dogon2whls likes this.
  4. The Maz

The Maz Clueless and lost

Oddometer:

Check this out. And maybe part of the next episode.
    eemsreno and Dogslobber like this.
  5. kegonlegs

kegonlegs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to pop your bubble but you would prob only get maybe half way to Norman Wells. The road really changes for the worst when you enter the NT. And to top it off you need to pack an equal amount of fuel to make it back to Ross. Ross to Mac pass is 232km, I haven't gone more than 10 km past the Game check. The day I was there a plane flew in from Norman to erect a big sign about the significance of the Canol. Camped up there the night before with a CBC radio host from Edmonton and a German man who hitched a ride up with Rudy the radio host. The German hitcher hiked the Canol to the MacKenzie river and was picked up by an Imperial oil boat. When I got an email from him he gave the low down on his trip and it took him 16 days. The older gent who was on the plane from Norman I believe his name was Alistar, he seemed very knowledgeable. Anyways this is an awesome ride and not to be missed. I have some excellent video footage of this big plane taking off from the game check landing strip and will try to get it on here.
    Fishenough and shuswap1 like this.
  6. northern

northern Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. BlackdogADV

BlackdogADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Much needed info here. Thanks!
  8. aquadog

aquadog Dude Buddha

Oddometer:
    The game check station (as far as I've been) and possibly as far as Caribou Pass is reasonable. I plan on exploring a bit further this year, so asked a buddy who bicycled it. Note, I plan on using my TJ Rubicon as I want to hang out and just enjoy the area for a while, and bring comforts! Thus, his response is geared to a capable 4x4. His comments are that even to get to the Lodge takes some rocky creek crossings. And:
    "Well, I reckon for sure to Old Squaw lodge (or whatever they call it now). You could, with little difficulty head past Old Squaw down to the old pump station that gets used as a horse corral that sits in the creek drains down to the Intga.

Depending on how much work you want to do, you could keep heading down to the Intga crossing. There is one side hill just past the old pump station with the horse corral that sometimes has a washout, sometimes not. Its only a short section, but it usually needs shovel work to get by. From there, its easy down to the Intga crossing.

The Intga wouldn't present much problem to a determined individual in a Rubicon, so really, Caribou Pass and the top of the Ekwi river would be as far as you could reasonably go. Once you start heading down the Ekwi, things get burly. Im sure you've seen the video the Land Rover guys put together of their trip? Coming back, once they hit Caribou pass, it was like being on the autobahn. Their video has a good sequence of the washout I spoke of."

Take it from there.....and I also outfitted for the Field & Stream trip, so had their info. Being old and fat, I won't try going that far. Check the swamp portions of the Land Rover video and consider that on a bike as well. The trail shelters noted in the CBC article above don't make the journey easier.

I watched the video above, note it only shows the easy part of the trail. Don't think it's all like that, or that road even exists anymore in some places.
  9. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:
    I think I've mentioned before that the Landrover group also did significant damage when they had to make their own trail on impassable sections of the road. They say that in the High Arctic a single footprint can take 50 years to disappear...the Canol is a long, long way from the High Arctic but it is still far enough north that the damage done will last a long time if anyone were to try and blaze their own trail. There are photos of the damage the Landies caused online somewhere...
    EightTwentySix likes this.
  10. aquadog

aquadog Dude Buddha

Oddometer:
    Exactly. Don't be a dick and damage the land.
  11. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    While i agree that pristine areas should be kept pristine, the Canol road is a far from pristine corridor in the middle of billions of square feet of pristine area. If it were the intention of the government to return it to pristine, then they should and would close it to all human traffic, foot or otherwise. But, they still allow access and by doing that it will result in "damage" by those attempting to navigate it. If you want to cherrish every square foot then that is your prerogative, but to vilify those who are legally attempting to navigate it seems a bit over the top.
    Deadly99 likes this.
  12. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:
    I think you need to re-read my post (if that's what you're referring to), particularly the bit about the Land Rover crew blazing their own trail when there was no road.

The government is actively discouraging motorized vehicles north of Mile 222 (the Yukon/NWT boxer) by taking out bridges and not maintaining the trail at all. The trail is the trail, yes, but everything else is not the trail and the damage can take decades to be undone. So stay the fuck off what is not the trail. If you're on a motorized vehicle and the ground isn't frozen and you come to a bridge that's out or an obstacle that you can't get around without leaving the trail then you've gone as far as you can. Turn around and go home.
    EightTwentySix and uncle m like this.
  13. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    When I was backpacking the Canol Heritage Trail I ran into a professor who was doing research about the long term impact of some human effects on the land. He was observing the changes made during the WWII pipeline project and what happens at intervals after that over time. I think the point was to more accurately gauge the effects of human activity on the land in a climate like this one which is good to know since there is some development in otherwise "untouched" areas. It was interesting to talk to him about it (especially since you don't meet many people in the wilderness). He carried a large caliber pistol as protection. He explained to me what an ordeal it was to get the proper permissions to do so. I noticed that some things did not deterioriate or disappear as quickly as they might further south. Perhaps that is because things are frozen more of the year than in some other places. :dunno
  14. djroszina

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_20181126-060550.png
    DaleE, Deadly99 and eemsreno like this.
  15. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some history of the Canol Road, well the first 12 minutes anyway:
    ACR, djroszina and eemsreno like this.
  16. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    try that same thinking in a stateside national park, there are severe consequences, why would it be any different above the 49th. i predict the Canucks would exhibit no sense of humor if a foreign national is found "attempting to navigate" off an established road or track.
  17. djroszina

Oddometer:
    Is the north Canol road in a Park? At least when the Range Rovers attempted it? Or is it government land where people like hunters routinely leave the road or trail to persue or retrieve game with their ATVs and 4x4s? Are there signs requiring motor vehicles to stay on trail?
  18. MitchG

MitchG Iron Collector

Oddometer:
  19. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:

No, not in a park. There is billions of acres of undisturbed land in "that area". I am sure a few tires tracks from people blazing trails is no big deal in the large picture of preserving the land. To me, its a recreational corridor and can be treated as such until such time as it is illegal to do so.
  20. BlackdogADV

BlackdogADV Long timer

Oddometer: