1. eNewsletter Sign Up

The Ultimate Canol Thread:

Discussion in 'Canada' started by windquest, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. eemsreno

eemsreno Super Tenere Rider.

Oddometer:
    Very Sad indeed
  3. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The trail will become a territorial park when the clean-up is complete ie. in the next few years. Nothing is set in stone yet but my understanding is that summer motorized use will not be allowed although it will allow snowmobiles in the winter. Given the amount of people who hunt up there (First Nation and non-First Nation) I wonder how well that will go over.

Thanks for posting those land rover videos I hadn't seen them before. Those dudes did a good job to get as far as they did. I recognize all of those tough sections they had to get through. Also FYI I am pretty sure their sign has been removed, it was there when we passed through in 2012 and we did not see it in 2018. It is possible we missed it but I was keeping an eye out for it,
  4. VF1000Fe

VF1000Fe Rubbermaid Renegade

Oddometer:
  5. kegonlegs

kegonlegs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    up until circa 2007, the Campbell looked more like a ranch road in sections than a numbered highway, and some areas were so narrow that vehicles could barely pass each other. the right-of-way was not cleared. i crossed that road for the first time before the YT started widening and improving the Campbell to accommodate impending mining activity, and stopped when i saw two women in their rental Honda who appeared to be having car trouble. they had a flat tire, had never changed a tire, and were counting on someone coming along the road to help them. they sat there for 6 hours before getting out the owner's manual and changing it themselves, and had just finished when i got there. i was the first person they had seen in six hours, either direction. they would only have to wait a matter of minutes now.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  7. CardiffKook

CardiffKook Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm confused.

Isn't the S. Canol Road manageable? I was thinking of trying it this June (weather permitting) on my loaded 1200 GSA as part of a tour Yukon/Alaska.

This post is talking about fording rivers with your own raft.

Am I just way off base here?
  8. BlackdogADV

BlackdogADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    South, no problem.
  9. snobear

snobear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    North Canol is where the rode becomes sketchy, south is fine
  10. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes the South Canol is doable on your GSA. Last year we rode it 5 days after it opened for the season in early June.

http://www.511yukon.ca/en/index.html Here is a link to the Yukon road conditions.
  11. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I understand that as long as it’s dry, the North Canol Road is a pretty easy ride to McMillan Pass (NWT border). If it’s wet, its a muddy morass, probably worse than the Inuvik-Tuk road it’s first season. After the pass, I think you can go another 20 miles or so before you hit a river crossing that will stop all but the most “persistent”.
  12. Fishenough

Fishenough Team Lurker

Oddometer:
    Ridden the south a couple times on street tires, Anakee's and more recent Battle wings. This section is very well graded making the only challenge being maintaining the 60 kph speed limit. Maybe with new Tkc80's on the KLR found it easy to stay at 100 kph most of the distance in the dry with no drama at all.
    CardiffKook likes this.