1. eNewsletter Sign Up

The Un-official Trans-Ohio Trail (TOT) Thread

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by Rudderfeet, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Rudderfeet

Rudderfeet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While technically it doesn't cross all of Ohio, the Totally Awesome Trail Rider's Trans-Ohio Trail (TATR-TOT) loops through the southeastern half of Ohio in 11 segments comprising 1100 miles of tarmac, gravel and dirt roads. There are an additional 55 miles of challenge sections for more experienced riders.

Huge credit goes to @swingset for assembling the original version before he abandoned us for the lovely state of Texas - he did a tremendous amount of work to put this together. @FireDog45 and I (@Rudderfeet) are now the uber-stewards of the route, but we're actively looking for riders who can check a section two or three times a year to provide ride reports and edits.

Before you download and use this route, PLEASE consider these few words first. Most of this route covers public roads, but there are several "grey areas" near remote residences and private property. PLEASE be respectful with your speed, abeyance of property rights, watch out for children, pets, livestock and crops and generally just don't be a dick.

Also note that as of late March 2020 government response to the COVID-19 virus has closed bars and restaurant seating (carry-out still permissable). Gas stations and grocery stores remain open. Many state and national camp grounds and parks are also closed - please see each for the latest status.

IMPORTANT: This is NOT an official route, sanctioned activity or guaranteed track - if you use it, it's at your own risk, accepting the consequences of misuse. No warranties are expressed or implied and no refunds will be given.

If you would like to adopt a section, please reply to the thread and Steve and I will gladly add you to the list. Thanks again and enjoy some of the best Adventure riding Ohio has to offer!
    • Section 1: Gaan to TWVT
      • Steward: @625SXC
      • Distance: 141 miles
      • Notes: TBD
    • Section 2: Mt. Vernon to Walhonding
      • Steward: @mpenner
      • Distance: 56 miles
      • Notes: Clear as of 3/27/2020 except for gravel in spots
    • Section 3: Walhonding to Zanesville
      • Steward: @Brett Berisford
      • Distance: 100 miles
      • Notes: The washout on Twp Rd 58 in the Woodbury Wildlife Area has been repaired. The 2-3 mile section where the washout was is more of a 4x4 trail than a road, but it is open and with caution, it’s big bike passable.
    • Section 4: Zanesville to Glouster
      • Steward: @oldgezzer
      • Distance: 155 miles
      • Notes: Road closure, but don't panic! - see track for easy bypass. Essentially Newburn Rd between Wood Rd and Goshen Run Rd (close to the village Chesterhill) has been closed by Marion Township (Morgan County) and there is a cable across the road. The area from Zanesville to Portersville doesn't have any issues as of 3/10/2020.
    • Section 5: Glouster to Zaleski
      • Distance: 33 miles
      • Notes: Utah Lake gate is still closed (Wayne National, sec-5 WP120). Coal Run Rd (WP232 to WP334) can get muddy with a few "ATV" holes scattered along the side of the road but it's still big bike passable with caution. Convenience stores remain open with fuel and most restaurants along the route have carryout, as of 3/20/2020
    • Section 6: Zaleski to Nelsonville
      • Distance: 48 miles
      • Notes: Atkinson Rd (Zaleski State Forest sec-6) is closed at WP09 but there is enough room to go around the slip for now (see pictures in post 40). Convenience stores remain open with fuel and most restaurants along the route have carryout, as of 3/20/2020
    • Section 7: Nelsonville to Laurelville
      • Steward: @Dirty Titanium
      • Distance: 85 miles
      • Notes: Free and clear as of 3/4/2020
    • Section 8: Laurelville to Oak Hill
      • Steward: @Dirty Titanium
      • Distance: 70 miles
      • Notes: NOT all clear as of 3/6/2020. There's a bridge closed on Antioch Rd that looks like it's not reopening soon. On a small bike it would be easy to get around the block, but not so much on something large - see post 30
    • Section 9: Oak Hill to Proctorville
      • Steward: TBD
      • Distance: 50 miles
      • Notes: TBD
    • Section 10: Proctorville to Marietta
    • Section 11: Marietta to East Liverpool
      • Stewards: @Wyocrawler and @XMtnman02193
      • Distance: 197 miles
      • Notes: Most of it is clear as of 3/27/2020, but Davis Hill Road is pretty rutted out badly - in the wet, one might want to avoid it on a big bike.
    Change Log:
    • V19:
      • Changed Peggy Sues to Newcastle Farmhaus
      • Incorporated previous Wills Creek Bypass into main route and converted previous section to Challenge - Wills Creek
      • Added road closure on section 4

Attached Files:

steveb126, GAS GUY, CBBaron and 8 others like this.
  2. Brett Berisford

Brett Berisford Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First post!
    I can commit to the Walhonding to Cochocton section, its only 10 - 15 minute ride from my house to any point on that section. I’m on sections of it often and can easily ride it twice a year or more. There are a few other inmates here that are on it as much or more than me, so no feelings hurt if they want it.
    I realize the official segment doesn’t stop at Coshocton and goes to Zanesville, I just don’t find myself on the section south of Coshocton that much, but can run it once a year if needed.
    Rudderfeet and FireDog45 like this.
  3. oldgezzer

oldgezzer Country Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking this on, much appreciated.
    Count me in for the Amesville sections 4,5 and 6...
    FireDog45 and Rudderfeet like this.
  4. oldgezzer

oldgezzer Country Rider

Oddometer:
    Do we post road/route problems, closures here? Or send you a "direct" post...
  5. FireDog45

FireDog45 What should I do today...?

Oddometer:
    I'd say post them here so all can see in case we're a bit slow in getting the file updated. At least that's my thought...
    Rudderfeet likes this.
  6. Rudderfeet

Oddometer:
    First, thank you! I think road/route posts here would be fine, that way others can track changes a little more in real time while we edit the file and get it posted.
    FireDog45 likes this.
  7. FireDog45

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I just updated the file to reflect a re-route in the Wills Creek area. The former bypass is now on the main route and the section that was bypassed is labeled as as a challenge. Locals have been going around the bridge at the west end but I didn't want to make that the main route.

Rudderfeet likes this.
  8. oldgezzer

oldgezzer Country Rider

Oddometer:
    *road closure*
    Section 04 Zanesville to Glouster....
    Waypoints 4124 to 4143...Newburn Rd between Wood Rd and Goshen Run Rd (close to the village Chesterhill) has been closed by Marion Township (Morgan County) There is a cable across the road.
  9. 625SXC

625SXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can keep an eye on section #1.

do I get a badge... or a sash or anything?
    Rudderfeet and FireDog45 like this.
  10. Wyocrawler

Wyocrawler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can take the southern half of section 11, Marietta to I-70 if someone can take the north, I-70 to east Liverpool.
    FireDog45 likes this.
  11. FireDog45

Oddometer:
    The new version has road closed markers at each end. When you get a chance can you confirm I got it right

Rudderfeet likes this.
  12. XMtnman02193

XMtnman02193 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beat me to it i can help that section some also. I ride to Woodsfield often in the summer to the fiancés house. Comes within two miles of her house.
    Rudderfeet and Wyocrawler like this.
  13. Wyocrawler

Wyocrawler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gotta be faster than your elders
    Rudderfeet likes this.
  14. Rudderfeet

Oddometer:
    upload_2020-2-29_10-34-38.jpeg
    TripleTriples likes this.
  15. oldgezzer

oldgezzer Country Rider

Oddometer:
    The Goshen Rd end flag is correct...you have Wood Rd closed at SR550? Newburn is closed at Wood, about 1/4 mile down Wood from SR550. Newburn is about a half mile long...I know...clear as mud...:fpalm

SR550 onto Wood Rd to (R) onto Westland then (R) onto Goshen then (R) to Hoffman...bypassing Newburn...a workaround :snore
  16. Dirty Titanium

Dirty Titanium Mostly Pedaling

Oddometer:
    I can take 7 and 8, I'm on them somewhat regularly anyway
    FB_IMG_1582994840242.jpg
    GAS GUY, rbsride365 and Rudderfeet like this.
  17. B-Mac

B-Mac Aged Beef Supporter

Oddometer:
    Musky Bucket H3 Service rd. Gone?:confused
  18. FireDog45

Oddometer:
    I intentionally moved the west marker to the intersection of 555 and Wood Rd in the hopes that it would pop up before the turn. That way you could continue on 555 and pick up the route further south at Wolman Rd.

19. FireDog45

Oddometer:
    Help me out, I'm not familiar with that.

BTW I added the Muskie Bucket to the file but it won't be put out until there's more updates. If you've never been to it and you follow the section 4 track you won't miss it (I know you've been there B but wanted other less grizzled folks to be aware :D)

B-Mac and Rudderfeet like this.
  20. oldgezzer

oldgezzer Country Rider

Oddometer:
    Good idea and it makes sense....that's why your doing what your doing and get the big money. (I didn't even have the correct state highway number...duh...)
    Thanks for ignoring my ignorance :fpalm