The Unofficial 2010 Paris Dacre Thread (team formation and logistics)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Thraan, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    The official thread would be by the RallyConnex guys in the vendors subforum.

This thread is for us to talk about the event, give folks a place to get a team organized. Any specific questions about the event should be directed to the RC guys in the other thread.

I'll post a link to the official thread when I find it.

All I know so far is that on June 26th 2010 the Dacre Dualsport Challenge is on! Entry spots are always limited and always book up really fast. You want to have your team organised before the entry opens in early March.

So who has done it before, and are you going to do it again?

And the $64,000 question: Are you going to finish it this time? :ear

Edit: Official thread info below

Date: June 25th-27th, 2010

Start: Burford Fair Grounds (located 10min south of Paris), Ontario
    Lunch: Kinmount (TekRider Manufacturing), Ontario
    End: Dacre, Ontario
    Distance: ~750km
    Fee: TBD (will be posted by Feb 13th)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538663

2. Mr. C

Mr. C I need more bike time!!

Oddometer:
    I am interested in setting up a team. I would like it to ne a KLR team, since the other teams will need somebody to make fun of!! :D

I am new to this sort of event, so I would like to team up with people interested in finishing rather than people who are really eager to win the whole thing.

Although a KLR team would be nice, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to setting up a mixed team.

Let me know!
  3. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Mr C. I too ride a KLR. It's a fine machine and in the right hands could certainly finish. I think a couple of KLRs may have finished in 2008.

The idea of a team all riding the same bike is a good one. Common tools and spares can be shared across the team. A team is three to four riders, and they have to ride as a group, arriving at checkpoints within a couple of minutes of each other, so being familiar with your riding partners and all being comfortable at the same pace is helpful. Allows you all to settle into a rhythm.

How much experience do you have? The trick for this type of event seems to be minimizing stops and riding a constant 8/10th pace for the entire day. The bike needs to be in tip top shape. There is a tech inspection the day before the event where the guys will go over your bike in detail.
  4. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    I'm in!! :)
    On a bike 950 though so may not finish depending on trail conditions. This will be my first time and I have a few questions.

How many usually finish?

Having spoken to others who have done the event they were disappointed that the offroad sections aren't mandatory. They said they were knee deep in mud and off to the side they see all sorts of bikes skipping the section. Is this allowed?

Isn't this event supposed to resemble a day in the dakar rally (or so I read before), sounds like much more of a long ass enduro course?

Anyways, looking forward to it, see you folks in June.
  5. Mr. C

Oddometer:
    I don't have much experience with events such as this, but have been riding my KLR for about 3 years now. I have done the Labrador loop and been up to James Bay, so I am OK with gravel and challenging roads. I don't ride THAT much dirt, but believe that I can hold my own.

When it comes to the inspection, what exactly are they looking for? I keep my bike well maintained, but I should start preparing anyway.
  6. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the idea is to have the rider go through some of the challenges of a day of the Dakar - an early start, a long distance to cover, need to navigate it (via GPS), checkpoints you have to hit, a real cross section of Ontario dual sport terrain.

The first couple of times the event was run, there were only three or four people finished. One team basically. Last year a few more finished. People are getting more serious about how they approach the event. It is not easy to finish.

Editor 'Arris from CMG has run the event three times now I think, and writes up a good article about it each year.
  7. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    With the KLR there are a few things that I've found should be done for offroad riding like this. The t-mod for the carb so you won't bog down in deep water. Replace the stock wheel bearings with sealed bearings. I disassembled the rear suspension and greased the hell out of everything. There is a spot down there where water can get in and if it starts rusting inside it can be challenging to take apart. If you don't know what I'm taking about, I'll find a link to it somewhere. I put a reinforcing weld on the shift lever but still broke it three times before I upgraded to an IMS lever this fall. (Maybe I just can't weld very well). Serrated pegs because muddy boots on stock pegs can be slippery.

There are some essential skills too - you should have a tool kit and be able to fix a flat, change a fuse and duct tape bodywork back into place. I am happy to report that my KLR is again duct tape free.

As for the terrain - judging from previous years, some of it will be unmaintained concession roads, some fire roads, some pavement (unavoidable getting across 800km of Ontario without touching some pavement), but there is a lot of trail, and some of it will be pretty gnarly. You'll need to be standing up for most of the day. Stuff that you might not have much trouble with when you are fresh and psyched up for it, but with eight hours already on the clock it's tough to keep a focus and pace and you can get tripped up easily.
  8. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Hey Thraan, your saying 3 or 4 people out of a hundred finish? Wow! I guess its a let's see how far you can make it type of an event then, so be it, always up for a challenge, wish I had a nice small light bike with a comfy seat on it though :)
  9. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most people make it all the way to Dacre, they just have to ride slab to get there after they fail to make one of the checkpoints in time. :D

A nice small light bike with a comfy seat? I've never heard of such of thing! I think all the small light bikes use a short length of 2x4 as a seat. :huh

But how important is a seat anyway? You'd be standing up most of the time. Better to get bar risers and gel inserts for your boots. :wink:
  10. shipwrek12001

shipwrek12001 Shipwrek

Oddometer:
    I think in 08. Out of 125 bikes 20 or so completed the task, 75 or so made it to Darce. Some people will even beat you to Dacre but you'll never see them pass you. :huh
  11. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bailing to the paved route early gets you to the after party sooner. :deal
  12. Mr. C

Oddometer:
    I am happy to say that all of these items have been taken care of on my machine. I don't have the IMS shifter, but my stock one is welded up. I just may look into the IMS.

I look forward to the challenge, but as you say, a section that isn't too bad when you are fresh may become a monster when you are fatigued! It will be fun to see what I am made of. :toney
  13. dakarchef

dakarchef Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You better get in shape! I think fatigue takes out most. Trying to stay focused when your brain is fried with fatigue leads to injuries.
    I did an enduro this year on the husky. I learned a good lesson on how out of shape I am. I made it 122 km of 140km before I houred out. I'm now running three times a week and playing hockey twice a week. I hope to enter the P2D IF I can get in.... it sold out quick last year.
  14. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you can weld better than me, then the stock one is just fine! :lol3
  15. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found this article about the 2008 event.

<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->
  16. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    I can see the accuracy of the article.....:huh

FYI
    Team KABOOM was in the run for about 7 hours before our fearless leader lost control of his 420lb 100hp dirt bike up a goat path (wrong turn)resulting in a severely broken arm.
    After he decided to ride to the hospital by himself (talking about big balls too:bow ) the team proceeded to continue the run with the remaining members.
    About 1hr later is when I collided with our "other" fearless leader as I failed to see his "turn around" hand signal.....at about 80km/h.....or fast enough to flip his 950 a full 360 degrees with him on it :eek1
    After assesing the damage and realizing that I had broken my colar bone we decided to call it and rode my sorry ass to the hospital too. :bluduh

Just as a side note, up to that point Team Kaboom was very close to the leading team and gaining....

Would I do it again?

HELL YEAH!!!:thumb

Is the 950 the worst possible bike to do it with?

YOU BETCHA!!! :evil

Will there be a TEAM KABOOM this year defending their name?

:hide Stay tuned
  17. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    A small bit of friendly advice, change your name to Team Kafinish!!!

;)
  18. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wondered about that myself Alex. :thumb

So are Team Kaboom gathering at the batcave to plan their assault on the course and each other? :D
  19. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    Top Secret :evil
  20. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    I kinda thought that KABOOM wasn't a good name from the beggining :gerg