The Unofficial 2010 Paris Dacre Thread (team formation and logistics)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Thraan, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:

[​IMG]

You guys should do it. :thumb
  2. bkirby

bkirby DRZ400S

Oddometer:
    I've always thought about doing this ride. Sounds really cool. I was on a Yamaha WR250F which I figured was not really the bike for the ride. The last couple of years I've been on a DRZ400S with the usual dirt mods. Much better suited for this ride. I've been riding for the last 12 yrs, mix of club level harescrambles, a few Enduros, trailrides (Mazinaw is my current fav), working some events ie Algonquin TR, Cord Enduro, stuff like that. Current fitness level is crap but I'm planning on hitting the gym after xmas is over. I've always found it funny reading/listening about riders being tired..I work midnight shift and have many times worked all night, driven 3 hrs to an event, ridden said event and then driven home. Might be awake for up to 30 plus hours! It can be pretty rough but as long as you don't stop it's doable. Starting to think that I don't like doing 30hr days anymore:loco
  3. Pig-Pen

Pig-Pen (Formerly KTMike)

Oddometer:
    Precisely why I don't believe everything I read in the media. To the writers credit though, he didnt have much time to gather the facts and he spoke to me and Uber in Kinmount briefly, then ran off to interview other teams as they arrived at the lunch stop. Lots of short notes & names scribbled into a note pad, which days later needs to be weaved into a story, with rumours and here say swirling around at the end of the day its easy to see how the facts got distorted.

Hmmm, there will be some juggling of team members and likely a name change, but I certainly hope to take part again next year. I'll just be on a bike more capable of finishing. :norton

4. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    I've been thinking that maybe the Big KTM's are a the wrong choice for this event.:evil

So, at the top secret location the new TeamKAPOW has been testing....

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fqgwo_WdyRo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fqgwo_WdyRo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

DW
  5. shipwrek12001

shipwrek12001 Shipwrek

Oddometer:

Your day at the Paris Dacre Rally and being tired<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Really, It starts long before you get there. Maybe even now when your bike is gone to sleep for 6 months or so. We start talking here, Rally Connex feeds us a little dribble to get the ball going. Get you people thinking about it. The people, who have never done it, start thinking, can I do, should I do it. Its long, The people who have done it and completed it think, wow&#8230; should we do it again&#8230;. It is really long. Then there is people like me who really wanted to complete it and never did because of 8 minutes. Yes 8 min. stopped me from completing the rally. For 2 years now I think where I could of got those 8 minutes just to get past checkpoint 3. Cause once your past that, it&#8217;s between you and the terrain. Which by then is really bad and rough.
    [​IMG]<o:p></o:p>
    Hell ya were going! I want those 8 min back. <o:p></o:p>
    So its time to pick teams, So we squabble amongest ourselves trying to get a suitable team together before march which of course is check in time. What is it you want in a team, energy, reliant, carry the same frame of mind. A desire to complete or a desire to just see how far we get with no expectations. How are you getting there? More over that, how are you getting back? Which one of our friends can we get to drive for 2/3 days for just candy and chocolate bars? How will we keep him in the loop if you need to be picked up half way through the event? That is just a few things to think about.<o:p></o:p>
    So we pick our teams, get ourselves registered and it is only March. Start talking about prep. How well do these bikes really need to be. After all its only one day ride. Brakes, tires, chain sprockets bearings engine oil filters. This is a knobby tire event and I only get 2500km out of a rear tire. This route is 800km long, which is almost half the tires life. If we start with a half worn tire it will be finished at the hardest part of the rally. Ah&#8230; when you need it. But its only March, we still have 4 months till this event and a bunch of springtime riding to do. Poof it is now middle of June, the bikes need their prep for this. <o:p></o:p>
    The week before the event, every one is starting to rush to get the last minute items. That special tire you ordered is back ordered, your starting to question if all this effort is really worth just one day of riding. (yes it is &#8230;get packing) Now your starting to get the tent and stuff together as this is not the hotel event you think it is. It is Wednesday, your on the phone with all your buddies going over the need to get and what about that and this&#8230; Thursday night or Friday morning all the bikes get to the trailer&#8217;s house and start to get loaded. Going over the list checking it twice three times. Spares, did you get spares, do we need spares, how many spares. What is too much and what is too little? Ah- My head is going to bust! Ok draw the line will you! <o:p></o:p>
    For the people in Ottawa, that is a 6 or 7 hr drive to the farm. So we better get going about 7 or 8 AM. So there you are getting up, 530 or 6AM, shit shave shower cause that is probably the last time your going to do that for three days. May your way over to the ride down to Paris. Go over the load, the last minute stuff. Load the truck/car and off we go to the Rally. Following your gps to the farm you start to get car cramps, your wound like a snare drum.<o:p></o:p>
    You pull into the farm, take in the sites of all the bikes and trailers tents. It looks like a little city of bikes and tents. It 3 or 4 o&#8217;clock, Decide on where you want home for the next 24 hours. Unload the bikes, go to the sign in tent, get your ride package, go get your bike inspected. Now if you did your work properly. All is well, go line up your bike and you can rest until the riders meeting. Which is just after supper and it is about 530/ 6. riders meeting is at 7 or so. Go eat, check out all the bikes. Check the maps, oh did you get your gps loaded, did you get it back? Do the riders meeting, and now you can really rest. Go to the tent talk about the strategy. But didn&#8217;t you do that for 6 months now? So it is now about 9pm. The Sun is setting, your told the wake up bell will go off at 3am. Your already pretty tired, still wound tight. Try to head for bed and get some sleep. Toss and turn and now it is midnight before your asleep.
    Three hours later the bell starts ringing. You wake up to 200 hundred people milling about. You start taking down camp, find your riding clothes. Go grab a light snack. That knot in your stomach gets a little tighter. My start was #2 meaning we leave at 4:01AM with more than 100 bikes behind us. And many much better riders than ourselves. Ah- no pressure but that knot gets tighter and tighter. Its still dark out and last year was so foggy you couldn&#8217;t see 100 yards. <o:p></o:p>
    It is 3:55 am the bikes are starting to come alive one at a time, getting a bit warmed up before go time. The starters have now move into position. The first 3 or 4 teams start to saddle up. The green flag goes up, oh that knot is tight, 4 am this first team out of the gate, you can&#8217;t even see the end of the drive way. Off wee go, down the drive left out of there go about a km and make another left. Poof we over shoot the first turn and here comes the next team as you can see their headlights coming. Get the bikes around we lose a position and we are off. For real this time. <o:p></o:p>
    We drive, wipe the dew from the visors, the water is soaking into the jackets, gloves are starting to get wet. And it is only 4:15am. We drive for a hour, the knot is relaxing as you have other worries behind you, in front of you, losing your team mates in the dark. Thinking your riding with one of your guys. You find after a ½ hr of riding your not with who you thought you where with. Your team is lost or is it you are lost from your team. Whichever, remember that knot, well that&#8217;s back. From now where one of your guys show up and out of the dark comes the rest of the guys. The knot lessens, you can see by now, your soaked from the dew. Things seem to be moving along well. <o:p></o:p>
    Now for the next 16 hrs all kind of things will happen to some of us as a 125 people group. There are probably more stories of what happened to them than 125 people that took part. Organizers, support drivers, sweep riders, store owners, even the cooks and helpers have their stories.
    So we rode the rally, some made it, more didn&#8217;t, make it to the end. You stagger in to Dacre community center like a war ravished soldier. That knot you were carrying for the last week got raddled out of you from the last 800km&#8217;s trail. Did I mention wow that was long. Man you&#8217;ll be tired. 3 hrs sleep Friday 5 hrs on Thursday. 800km of off road riding, less than perfect sleeping conditions. And if your tent leaks even better. Thank god the food was pretty good and ample. What happens if you eat too much and get on a paint can shaker? <o:p></o:p>
    I hope this gives more than an idea about your day, When you go to Paris and ride to Dacre &#8220;Off Road&#8221;&#8230;<o:p></o:p>
    Oh ya were going, I have to find 8 minutes&#8230;&#8230;

<o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>
  6. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    You should find a team or put one together. Do you have a GPS? For experienced trail riders who are used to arrowed routes, the GPS thing can be a bit of a learning curve.

RallyConnex put on a free GPS clinic at Parker Brothers every spring. They might be doing it again this spring. Anyone who runs the P2D will have an advantage if they know how RC setup GPS routes. You can lose so much time by not reading the route correctly and ending up off course.
  7. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice write up! I liked the snare drum bit. I know it's not a race, not a competition, but you get in that mindset anyway and get wound up tight.

So did you ever figure out where to find the 8 minutes? Faster gas stops? Riding harder? Fewer breaks?
  8. shipwrek12001

shipwrek12001 Shipwrek

Oddometer:
    I could find 8 minutes anywhere in my day, one less smoke break, rest while driving not standing beside the bike, less energy drinks or more drinks... not sure about that one. One of our guys dumped it at 6 am. that took 60+ minutes to help him out as he broke a small bone in his foot. He made it to check point one!!

As you stand waiting for your turn to go and you see the green flag go up. tell yourself "this is not a race, this is not a race"
  9. osteo

osteo Motion is Life

Oddometer:
    thanks Shipwreck, that's the best 8min I've had reading in a long while!!! :thumb :thumb can I be on your team If I promise to only stop 50 times in the day?!!! After all, riding with that shit eating grin :grin all day is sure to attract bugs and we all know it can take a while to pick them out from the teeth every 30min! :lol :lol

D

10. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    awesome write up man!!!
    you forgot to mention the five 950's passing everyone like they were stopped, while whispering "it's not a race.....it's not a race"

:hide
  11. fasteddy

fasteddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Southern Ontario, Canada ( Niagara Peninsula )

Hmmm!! Reality check!!! :nono
    You didn't pass everyone now did you??:evil :evil :deal
  12. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Someone got in front of you to take this picture! :D
  13. fasteddy

fasteddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Southern Ontario, Canada ( Niagara Peninsula )

That was 2006, we swept the event that year, everyone was in front.
    :ear
  14. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    So having organised and having participated, having been there from the start, what's the big secret to finishing?
  15. dakarchef

dakarchef Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And ...... what IS the best bike for this ?:dunno
  16. wjohnb

wjohnb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ah, that pic of Ed and I. What memories!

Two years organising, one year riding in "Orange Krush". The only thing I can say is that I HATE FOG and fog with dust suspended in it is worse still!

Ed can lead in the fog again anytime!
  17. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    :evil :bow
  18. shipwrek12001

shipwrek12001 Shipwrek

Oddometer:
    I appreciate who passed who during the beginning of the rally. But dosen't it matter more what the end result was. Didn't most everyone pass you guys eventually? :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl I think so :D
  19. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure there is the "perfect" bike for this event. Someone who is 145lbs and 5'8" has a different perspective than a 225lb 6'4" rider. Someone who has done 25+ years of various dirt riding has a different style than a rider with 2-3 years of experience. However a newbie rider with tons of talent might do better than the experienced old dog with a beer belly.

As you hear over and over again, it's not a Race. Getting to the end takes determination, skill, luck and good planing.

As far as the bike, in my mind it needs..

* to do 250km's before needing fuel - this saves you valuable time
    * to do more than 100km/h without blowing it's head off - this allows you to make time on the easier sections
    * to be light enough to be picked up when dropped, over and over again in the slick, rutted sections
    * to be nimble enough to allow you to paddle in the deep sections, carefully traverse the deep water sections, possible stop on a steep rocky section and get going again
    * has an excellent headlight for the dark, foggy, misty start at 4am till sunrise
    * has the best DOT knobbies you can get - make sure they are "fresh"

I'd say there are many bikes between 250-690cc's that meet these requirements.

DW
  20. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    A question for the organizers...last one was from what I hear REALLY wet and was in July....this one is scheduled for June.....same track with the potential to be even wetter? Why not August when things have dried up? Just curious, thanks.