1. eNewsletter Sign Up

The Unofficial 2010 Paris Dacre Thread (team formation and logistics)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Thraan, Dec 13, 2009.

1. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    looks like a helluva lot of fun, I was working yet again
  2. Seth S

Seth S Will _____ for _____

Oddometer:
    Never the less, please keep routes out of the public view on the forums. The last thing we need are the few angry locals finding the routes and figuring out a way to cause problems for the future.
  3. MoBill

MoBill Smiles when says dat

Oddometer:
    Yah, it's recovered thanks to that and good ol' Tony willing to go take a peek. :D
  4. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe

+1

Not to mention that I'm pretty sure we all signed a waiver that said the routes belong to Rally Connex, and we're not going to share them....
  5. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, Seth, Flanny, I agree and I never share RC routes. I was just responding to the notion that routes on public roads might be closed to us.

Cheers!
  6. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you and Tony and FJ and Frank and Dennis and Terry and everyone else for sweeping. Not an easy job, but it is really nice to have the support when it's needed. :thumb
  7. dakarchef

dakarchef Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Early in the morning, just after the windy, hilly residental area, I had a young guy in a Honda pull out of his driveway and block my lane. I pulled up to his window and he looked pissed. He said "What is going on here, and how many more laps are you guys going to do? Can't you do it somewhere else? I kind of laughted and said it wasn't laps but there would be 100 bike or so go by and then it would be done. Told him where we were going and he was cool with it.

On the first road allowance we were stopped getting out teammate going again, right after the beginning. The person who lived next door was out yelling at us telling us to get off the trail or they would close it. He also called us a bunch of clowns! I have to admit, it was kind of a circus and we were the major attraction!

I agree with not posting routes as some would use it against us. We have all been on trails that people try to "Close" on their own using various obstacles.

What a great day!
  8. MoBill

MoBill Smiles when says dat

Oddometer:
    Any more pix?

Post a link to online albums perhaps?
  9. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I uploaded the few crappy pics I shot with my blackberry.

[​IMG]
    Nice headlights!

[​IMG]
    Nice Honda!

[​IMG]
    3:30am

[​IMG]
    4:03am

[​IMG]
    Dacre Parc Ferme

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Patrick Trahan and Kevin
  10. GPSAdventureTouring

GPSAdventureTouring A Lifetime of Adventure

Oddometer:
  11. ODSC-SlowPoke

ODSC-SlowPoke n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm new to posting here, but read this forum from time to time and have been following this thread.

Regarding the residents that were attempting to block the roads etc. It's unfortunate but it does happen from time to time...

OK - here's the deal:

When you are on a licensed, insured motorcycle, piloted by a properly licensed rider, obeying the rules of the road(this includes legal road allowances) and noise laws......There is absolutely nothing that they can do about it. In fact they don't even have a right to interfere in any way with the event or the participants.
    Any attempts they make to block or impair your way, or intimidate or harass you are subject to mischief charges, and in extreme cases, Harrassment charges, under Provincial and Federal laws.
    For the most part, from what I saw on Sat., everyone met the legal requirements, with the exception of speeding in some isolated cases.

In every single case on Saturday, based on the descriptions posted here, the affected participants were well within their rights to call the local or provincial police and file a complaint against any resident that was creating a fuss by blocking the road etc..
    In fact, for future considerations, I highly recommend doing so, especially in some of the more extreme cases.
    Our club, The Ontario Dual Sport Club has had similar issues with problem residents in a couple of our rides we've held in the last few years. We ran into a problem with one this spring who gave us a bunch of grief and I had enough. I simply wasn't interested in being bullied around by a severely disturbed woman. I called the local OPP and the officer that responded agreed that we had done nothing wrong and that she was subject to mischief charges.
    The only way our sport will gain true legitimacy is for the riders to make sure that they follow the legal requirements listed above and stand up to the malcontents of the world. It's the malcontents that get trails and riding areas improperly shut down, because they always make the biggest fuss to politicians etc.
    When we stand up to the malcontents and legally put them in their place, they'll go away and find some other target to harass. If you're legal and riding sensibly, you have done nothing wrong and have nothing to worry about. If someone harrasses you, stand up to them and/or have them charged - it's your right. Whatever you do, don't kowtow to them - it only gives them more power that they don't deserve.
    The issue isn't really about what they attempt to make it. It's really about them and their negative perceptions, attitudes & behaviors.

I did the ride on Sat. with the 'Ride on Time' team. We left at 4:07 am and rode a good steady pace until we were forced to end our day at KM 529 thanks to me and my severely watered bike. I didn't get to see any of the fuss as it must have been well behind us by the time it happened. We all had pretty quiet bikes and kept our speeds in check, so I doubt we woke anyone up early in the am.

It was a good event and I had fun despite the numerous problems that beset us. We didn't finish but have some good stories to tell.

Signed
    Brian Knechtel
    Ontario Dual Sport Club
  12. ThereisnoSpoon

ThereisnoSpoon High Enough

Oddometer:
    If you thought being showered with rocks when getting passed by a 950 was bad you should try following one for 15 hours. I'm new to GPS navigation so my teammates took over that job. I think I was behind one for the whole way except for about 4 miles.

One time on a gravel road the 950 in front of me kicked up a rock a little bigger than the mouse on my computer. I saw it coming at me in slow motion, you could even see the rotation on it. It really wasn't going that slow, it hit with such force that it broke my mirror behind the handguard.

[​IMG]

Those are the HDB guards and they're pretty beefy, but because of the way they're designed they have some give in the middle. On impact it sounded like you threw an empty beer bottle against a brick wall as hard as you could.

I was carrying a camera in my jacket pocket as well, that thing has dents in it too!
  13. ODSC-SlowPoke

ODSC-SlowPoke n00b

Oddometer:
    Lucky you had those handguards on- that rock would have likely broken your front master cyl. - or your fingers. Ouch!

Not sure what tires were on the offending bike, but any big bike that wears a Teraflex 150 is always to be given a long wide berth when gravel and loose stones are present.
  14. canadaler

canadaler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kudos to the Rally Connex team, great job...as always. :clap

Personal thanks to Dennis (Osteo) for patching up my Terraflex-modified leg (Terraflesh?) at lunch.

One pooched leg, one pooched engine...keys locked in the support truck...:baldy...not exactly a banner day for Team "Ride On Time."

Still, lots of fun, lots of stories and the old XT never missed a beat...aside from the battering I gave it with my crash test dummy antics. The thing is an absolute hoot to ride on the trails. I couldn't resist beeping my horn at the $60,000 team (2-HP2's and Dakar Honda 750) when passing them on the $800 XT. :wave
  15. osteo

osteo Motion is Life

Oddometer:
    This was emailed out to all the competitors, but I know there are some that have been following this thread that have helped either their buddies or in some other shape or form, so I am cut and pasting it here:

We'd like to thank everyone for participating in this years Paris to Dacre. Despite the morning rain, the course turned out to be very stable. I'm glad that we cut out a lot of muddy sections the week before (even though it didn't seem like it).

We are still getting lots of positive feedback from the various towns and gas bars we visited throughout the day. They are all impressed with the professionalism and respect shown by each of you. There were at least 2 residents on the route that thought we were doing laps of their house, but once it was explained that it was one big group of road legal bikes and it would be over soon, they relaxed.

As always, we encourage you to send in copies of your event pictures, or send us links to your pics. We will include them in our collections for everyone to view. http://picasaweb.google.com/rallyconnex/ParisToDacre2010# This link is also available on the RallyConnex website all the time. http://www.rallyconnex.com/photos.htm Just hit the Picasa link at the top of the page.

The Burford area news crew put together a little segment http://www.brantnews.com/news.cfm?page=news&section=read&articleId=8133

Participants are still chatting on Adventure Rider http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533163&page=29

CMG online will be writing up an article on the event. Stay tuned http://www.cmgonline.com/

Official Finishers
    Team Orange Crush - elapsed time - 13hr:15min
    Team FTV - 14:10 ( they were within 1 minute of Orange Crush at Bail 3, but had a flat in the last section)(there must be some pictures, because that's a long flat repair!)
    Valley Bomb Squad - 14:31 (team of 5! )
    BMA Bombers - 15:13
    Warren's Orange Inside Team - 15:17
    Fat Girl Racing - 15:27
    Africa HP2 - 16:52

Honorable mention to teams End2End, Explore the Bruce, Ibox Ivanna Feenish, Keep Calm and Carry On, Power Fist, Roll Me Away for having good overall timestamps at the checkpoints throughout the day, but either loosing a teammate or having to bail at Bail3. The other teams had various difficulties, ranging from injuries, blown clutch, watered out bikes, and generally soaked and tired.

Number of teams - 31
    Total number entered - 134 (on-line in mar6 to apr6),
    total number of registered starters - 106,
    number of overall finishers - 30,
    number of entrants to reach Dacre (bail or complete) - 78 + crew ,

These numbers are almost identical to 2008, but this years course had less of the level 5 sections (highest difficulty), and more of level 4. The morning rain storm played a huge part in reducing the numbers.

Thanks goes out to Patrick Trahan for joining us, participating, and presenting his insightful view into the world of professional rally racing (especially this years Dakar). The group in Dacre were thrilled to hear his view of the P2D, and his encouragement for those wishing to pursue even greater goals.

The fund raising for the Weekend to End Women's Cancers yielded $474.05. Thank You for your generosity. Now that the funds go to researching more than just breast cancer, your dollars will be saving even more lives. Congratulations to Chantal Cournoyer, the winner of the 50/50 card draw. Chantal has already informed me that her winnings went to her share of the support truck gas. Laura and Lynda truly appreciate the support they have received from all of you. For those of you who had an opportunity to meet Laura on a more personal note, she has assured me that she would like to handle "your packages" in future events.

An interesting statistic that may seem bias, but the numbers don't lie. Of those who began the 2010 P2D, 48% were on KTMs. Of those who finished the entire course, 79% were KTMs.

Also, coming in July, a special section in the eRag about P2D. Here's a link to the June edition http://issuu.com/scotiadallas/docs/june_2010_erag?viewMode=magazine , which contained some P2D preparation articles.

Our new friends from up north also have a blog page which is worth checking out. http://gpsadventuretouring.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=rr&action=display&thread=608&page=1

Don't forget that you can sign up for the Calabogie Boogie Dual-sport on-line with us. Mark off the weekend of September 11th and 12th. It will have a huge variety of trails to choose from. There are stock tire and aggressive routes to choose from. It is a 2-day event, which is based out of one location, so Logistics are easy. http://www.rallyconnex.com/calabogie.htm

Thanks again,
    The whole RallyConnex Team.
  16. misterkridered

misterkridered Red Rider

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

If you get in touch with HDB he will give you a replacement glass for no charge. Mine broke when I left it hanging out on a rail bed and hit a maple tree branch. He said I was only the second person to break one.
  17. yamafitter

yamafitter Old Cranky Guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not Toronto therefore off the edge of the world
    I also took the Shane Watts school last year but I decided to cheat and take care of logs this way.

[​IMG]

I was all set to sweep the northern section of the event this year but the weekend before I watered out the bike pre-riding at the Algonquin and to make a long & sad story short, I took out the bottom end.
    The bike was in no condition to ride and since there are no sweeps after the sweep, I had to bail unfortunately. I did use the Saturday to go over to the Ganaraska and take the volunteer patroller course.
    So if you are out in the forest misbehaving, remember the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
  18. osteo

osteo Motion is Life

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :lol3

D
  19. VetMXR

VetMXR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

This was my first Rally Connex ride, and my second off-road ride up in Canada (I also rode the Mazinaw last year). I participated as a member of Team Ibox-Ivanna Feenish (the goal for this ride was just to finish obviously). We started off with 5 members and ended the event in Dacre with only 3 (hence, we didn't get credit for completing the event as a team). However, 3 of us did indeed complete the entire route.

Our team consisted of 4 Canadian's on KTM EXC's and me on my Honda CRF450X. None of the team members had attempted this ride in the past, so we were not real sure on exactly what to expect. Prior to the event we discussed gas stops, and since the KTM's all had 3.2g tanks, I upgraded my tank from the stocker to an IMS 3.2g tank as well. This way we could coordinate gas stops further apart and together. We scheduled two stops prior to lunch and another two following lunch, which worked out fine.

Lighting was discussed prior to the event, but since I did not want to make a huge investment in new lights for just one ride, I mounted up my mountain bike lights up on top of my helmet and made sure I had a good charge on the battery. The setup worked out fine, especially since I had the other team members I could follow in the early morning hours.

We headed out at 4:21am, and passed quite a few teams right from the get-go. The pace was brisk, and at times a bit uncomfortable early on while trying to navigate our way around some of the other teams in the dark. We were making great time until one of the KTM's lost a shifter. A stop to find/fix set us back a while, and all those guys we past early on got right back by us. No worries, the goal this year was to just complete the route.

We had a few more setbacks prior to reaching the lunch stop. I had lost the rear brake on the CRF early in the morning, but still had plenty of front brake to make it to the first mandatory stop at the bike shop. I had replaced the pressure switch on the rear prior to coming to Canada, and the banjo bolt had loosened and I lost the fluid. The guys at the bike shop provided us with some new fluid (much thanks go out to them for the assistance and opening up early for us), so the bolt was tightened and the line bled prior to hitting the trail again. We finally rolled into the lunch stop 12:30 (about 1.5 hours late in my estimate).

The cold and wet took a toll on two of our members, and they decided to call it a day. The 3 remaining members of Team Ibox headed out at 1:00pm.

The next few hours went by uneventful, but the trail also started to become more challenging and fun. I don't have much experience riding in water or on Canadian Shield, and ended up taking few headers early on until I figured out just what to expect. After that the pace picked up and we started to find our groove.

We rolled into Camel Chute (or something like that) around 6:20pm, well before our cut-off time. We took a break, tighted chains on two bikes, grabbed a snack and a Gaterade, chit-chatted a while with the locals, then headed out at 7:10pm.

The last section was definitely a lot of fun. Kevin from RC had stated that this would be the most challenging section, and I really was wondering if I was going to make it through this section. However, I kept expecting the difficult part to come around the next bend, and the next thing I knew we were pulling into the campground in Dacre at 8:30pm. The section was nothing compared to the Killer Lake Trail that I rode last year at Mazinaw, which was a welcome relief!

All in all, this was a great ride. The Rally Connex group did a great job of organizing and executing the event. I met alot of great people and thoroughly enjoyed the event. Again, my thanks go out to Kevin, Linda and the rest of the RC crew; you guys did a great job. I look forward to riding the event again next time.

Dan Money
    VetMXR
    Detroit, MI
  20. ThereisnoSpoon

ThereisnoSpoon High Enough

Oddometer:
    I will get in touch with Paul, thanks!