The Unofficial 2010 Paris Dacre Thread (team formation and logistics)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Thraan, Dec 13, 2009.

1. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    Absolutely:lol3 I think TeamKaboom was very surprised by the slow pace of the other teams in the first half considering that we were riding maybe 7/10's at best. We also knew that we would get our ass kicked in the last 1/3 when the conditions got gnarly. Our hopes were for a simple finish, not bragging rights. But hey, this is the internet so we can bench race a little.:D

We had quite a few "training" sessions all season leading up to the event so we knew each others capabilities and what the bikes could do. We also knew that we would have an advantage at the beginning do to our fast pace of over all travel on the dirt road sections and decent fuel range.

My broken arm was really a fluke, it was a low speed tip over on a steep, rocky goat path and a log just happened to be where my arm made contact with the ground causing the nice snapping noise we don't like to hear. Another 1 inch up my forearm and my armor would have absorbed the hit.

"If" that had not had happened, I'm almost certain we would have finished without using a bail. One of our practice sessions took us deep into terrain what Uber affectionately named "Fight Club". A trail better suited to moose, beavers and possibly tracked vehicles. It gave us the knowledge of just what happens when you've got the 500lb 950 stuck for the 6th time and how it takes a team effort to get out. I think we were all prepared for pulling, pushing and 160bpm.

As typical with any sporting endeavor, after the initial weariness wears off, you look forward to "the next time".:wink:

DW
  2. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    next time I'll make sure not to stop for smoke breaks every half hour...:bubba
    that gives us a fighting chance :dood
  3. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    Yup, took me about two days to get settled down after that event, kudos to Kevin and the gang for organizing a true world class event.
  4. Pig-Pen

Pig-Pen (Formerly KTMike)

Oddometer:
    :lol3...I saw you Diablo. You were having a breakfast at 3:30am which consisted of 3 RedBulls, 2 Powerbars and some Bananas....no wonder you were wound up for 2 days afterwards :norton:D

5. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    So how's your arm? All healed up and ready for "next time"? :thumb
  6. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    you forgot the half pack of Camel's :evil
  7. RumRunner

Oddometer:
    Yepp, never thought I would see someone eat half a pack of Camels.:huh

DW
  8. kahoon

kahoon who's yer daddy??

Oddometer:
    :rofl :lol3 :poser
  9. Motoaxe

Motoaxe Doctor of Misfortune

Oddometer:

Well.....truth be told.....the magic displayed with his goat far outdoes his camel antics.....or have i missed something??
  10. osteo

osteo Motion is Life

Oddometer:
    DW's reply is good... but I'll take a stab and be more specific... I'd say (as I am KTM biased!) - either a 530exc or the 690R, or the Husky's in the same displacement range, assuming you can get larger aftermarket tanks for them. But, the EXC needs the 14L tank installed otherwise the stock 9L will not cut it.

But again, I am biased! :wink:

Deadly - I'm not going to get into specifics as I may get in crappola from Gadget Boy for Spamming - all the details will come in due time. So, I will answer your question with a question... is the route for the Dakar the same every year? :wink:

D
  11. Groves

Groves Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was a good read, Shipwrek!

I really hope to be able to join a team this year for the event.
    I'm up for the challenge!
    :clap
  12. shipwrek12001

shipwrek12001 Shipwrek

Oddometer:

Thanks for that and thanks to the others that commented on the story. It was my very first ever organized motorcycle event.:evil My logic the whole time was, if a 950/990 can do with regular people riding them, I surely can do it.:lol3 If you can get the "it is not a race" in your head, you will do a lot better, be more relaxed. But the green flag and someone telling you when to go, sort of plays with your head about that.:huh

Very well organized event.. good Job Kevin, Lynda and crew
  13. shipwrek12001

shipwrek12001 Shipwrek

Oddometer:
    Told ya they'd feed us some dribble!!!!:rofl :rofl :rofl
    Hey osteo you sure you want to ride with me..... I'll refresh you.....Rock Hound, 1 km in...... ended my day???:cry :huh
  14. osteo

osteo Motion is Life

Oddometer:
    ummm... I politely retract my self invite! :lol3 :lol3 :lol3

D
  15. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmm.....our offroad route to RallyRaid......15 minutes into a 4 hour ride and you were out, done for the weekend. Starting to see a pattern here............
  16. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

:augie
  17. shipwrek12001

shipwrek12001 Shipwrek

Oddometer:

I think I should go back and be a lurker :hide :flush PeteZ should post his turn at me never showing to the Limerick Forest as well......:cry Sooooo, who wants to go to the P2D with me....:rofl Is there a chance to finish, better yet is there a chance to get started??
  18. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    The first section was fun, we would get passed by you guys on the dirt roads and then pass you in the woods:lol3 The last time we saw you guys was on the first Hydro line trail when one of you tipped over. It was a slow motion bit, but before the rider tipped over, his left leg was wagging all over trying to find solid ground and them BAM, down he went:rofl

I'm still trying to figure out why short guys ride big 950's off road, seems sadistic:lol3
  19. bkirby

bkirby DRZ400S

Oddometer:
    I see the pic above..so what did happen to your bike? I'm on a DR as well so I'm always on the lookout for problems and fixes.
  20. RumRunner

Oddometer:
    Most likely that was me:D I've become an expert at that move. Metinks me left leg is 3 inch's shorter than me right.:huh :lol3

[​IMG]

DW