The Unofficial 2010 Paris Dacre Thread (team formation and logistics)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Thraan, Dec 13, 2009.

1. juames

juames Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer:
    Looks like Team-KLR is starting to come together...:thumb
  2. Mr. C

Mr. C I need more bike time!!

Oddometer:
    Welcome aboard! I think we are allowed a maximum of 5, but I am not sure. I will need to look into it. If we keep going like this, I sure we could try for team KLR1 and KLR2!!
  3. juames

juames Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer:
    It's a good thing we have 6 months...My KLR is ready to go, I just have to myself in shape!:lol3
  4. scholz

scholz bush league

Oddometer:
    I'm in if there's still room, or if we need to start up two teams!
  5. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Keep this thread for team members selection and ask your question of Osteo in the Rally Connex thread in Vendors, to keep all the info in one place so Osteo doesn't have to reply to the same questions over and over....

Your post and his reply will be moved and merged in Vendors.
  6. Kosmol

Kosmol .

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I would be interested in joining if there is still space left on the team. KLR, with all mods, ready to go. If not, maybe starting a second team?

cheers
  7. osteo

osteo Motion is Life

Oddometer:
    Thanks Gadget Boy, I really was trying to not get sucked into answering here, but I enjoy reading the banter and thoughts on the event as much as anyone else...

D
  8. Mr. C

Mr. C I need more bike time!!

Oddometer:
    Wow, this team is really gathering some steam! Again, I think we are only allowed 5 per team, but having a team a and b would be pretty cool as well!

If there are more people looking for a team, you might as well speak up. It looks like this is the place to build the teams.

Unfortunately, I have never done this event, so we will need to wait for the second application date. Hopefully we will get in!

Where abouts are you from Kosmol?
  9. tarzan30

tarzan30 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi we are looking for 2-3 team mates who would like to try and finish the P2D. We are from the Ottawa Area and will proably have a vehicle for support.

The team we are trying to build does want to finish this event. We are looking for "a few good men!"

We want to share the cost of the support truck. We would like someone who would be local so that we can meet... have a couple pints and discuss things but are will to have remote people as well.

We would like to be somewhat competitive but not crazy. We want to finish is the key.

We have currently an xr650R and a DR400 on the team. Let me know by PM what you ride if your willing to share some of the cost of support and if you are experienced or not.

We are by no means pros but dont really want to put in a team with a real mix of abilities. We would like people who have ridden dirt and could mabe teach us a thing or two!

If this sounds interesting please let me know by PM and we can disscuss.

Thanks in advance

Tarzan
  10. xrayboy

xrayboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am thinking about doing this event but I don't have a team. The last post makes me wonder what experiences others have had in putting together teams from the internet when you have never met the others and are not sure on skill levels. For those who have done this with mismatched team mates, is it like a black diamond skier spending the day with a friend on the bunny hill? How do we judge the skill level of others? Pictures of my bike stuck in the mud? References? Picture of scars?

Dan
    XR650L
  11. tarzan30

Oddometer:
    very interesting!

I am not sure i guess you need to take the persons word for it?

Some group rides where everyone is welcome to go i find that a few people end up waiting alot for the more junior riders. For those days it is fun but for an event i dont think it would be.
    I was more wondering about the attitude of the person and not so much about proving the skill. if you want to go fast and finish, or are you out for a sunday ride

For those who have put together team over the web i am also interested in how it worked out!

12. shipwrek12001

shipwrek12001 Shipwrek

Oddometer:
    I think it is just like that, Black diamond guy on the bunny hill... NOT ME!! I'm on the blue circles hill...:evil Where it is the most fun for everyone....:freaky Inevitably it will be like these two smily face guys. Same guy always picking up the other.

The unfortunate part is that you are so tired and frustrated by the end of the day pulling someone along, you won't have much to say to each other when it is over. It is suppose to be fun.

I think, like minded people with common size of bikes would be the best way to put something together. that way there is no expectations left out. Get out and ride a few times together to see how things will shape up before the event. This way you know what to expect and you can accomadate any issues. I Think......:D
  13. Groves

Groves Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sure there is sufficient time in the spring prior to the event to meet up and get a few rides in with potential team mates.
    I hope to anyways!

14. Captain Quest

Captain Quest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You said it, I am hitting the gym, your physical endurance will play a very important role in trying to finish.
  15. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    A lot of good points there.
    Ideally you want to ride a bit with everyone to make sure that weaknesses are identified and taken care of. Nothing worst than a slower(or faster) rider in the team.....makes a big mess out of things.....
  16. SteverinoB

SteverinoB EstebanarinoB

Oddometer:
    That is up until your group is flagged off at 0400. Best everybody be on the same page in terms of ability,machine prep and expectation. Be honest with yourself and the other team members. If the expectation was/is to "Just Finish" the event without too much carnage make sure you're not riding with Stephane Peterhansel and he thinks your all riding for the Championship of the World. It happens. Very important that everyone knows what the day's objective is before you start. I've ridden this event twice and you will have LOTS to contend with. No need to waste valuable energy on non productive drama, its going to be a very long day and you will need to have your wits about you.

Good luck to everyone who starts and I hope you all have a superfine ride. It really is incredibly satisfying to cruise into Dacre after 14/15 hours in the saddle and being completely wasted.

Cheers...Steve
  17. Captain Quest

Captain Quest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Steve for shareing your wisdom.

I hope to experience the 3F's...Fun-Fear-Finish
  18. tarzan30

Oddometer:
    So True!

Thanks Steve.

Maybe my comment about just to finish may be wrong. We want to be competitive and hopefully finish! Then to use a trailer park boys acronym ... then we will get drunk as ..... haha:freaky

any takers?
  19. osteo

osteo Motion is Life

Oddometer:
    All good wisdom above, good luck to you all :freaky :freaky

And as Steve Br said, it is:

[​IMG]

Here's a few pic's from 2006

And 2008

D
  20. tarzan30

Oddometer:
    i may be wrong but don't we need all team members registered around first week of march?

Where i live there will proabably be snow still:eek1

no time for pre registration rides for me!