The USA on 40 bucks a day...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Vance, Oct 20, 2004.

1. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    Yo, big man. Try the "Standard Upload" feature instead of the "Drag and Drop".
    If they have the security set correctly the "Drag n Drop" won't work as it requires ActiveX (iirc).

Looks like the girls got those baby blues, eh? :thumb

You gonna let us thow a bon voyagee lunch at Alices?

What's your ETD?
  2. Vance

Vance On my meds...

Oddometer:
    Hey man! Well, me and Tekillya_John are taking off for Mexico on the 16th and meeting up with the Lone Rider crew in Mulege on the 17th. Bubba is thinking of going as well, and Dick wants to meet us that morning (the 16th) for breakfast in Los Gatos (would love it if you showed up for that...) No solid plans yet. All of the other days, I am up for anything. I'm just sleeping in my empty apartment with my camp stuff. [​IMG]

I'll email you...
  3. ARRRGGGHHNUT

ARRRGGGHHNUT ARRGH! Rider

Oddometer:
    have fun man!!! Me and Bubba are leaving on the 10th to go to this shindig we will get back in a week later...:freaky http://www.rockypointrally.com.
  4. Vance

Vance On my meds...

Oddometer:
    AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

Damn that looks fun! Wish I could afford it...

Have a bitchen time you guys!
  5. GotMojo?

GotMojo? Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are one lucky bastard Vance! I sit here at my office desk staring at all the paperwork I need to do and wonder how the fock I can get away from it...forever :lol3

Have fun and stay safe!
  6. Vance

Vance On my meds...

Oddometer:
    Thanks Terry....prolly see you towards the summer! :-)
  7. tekillya_john

tekillya_john Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hay Vance looks like you are able to upload pix. Cool, Were going to have a great time.
  8. osii

osii Disgruntled Time Traveler

Oddometer:
    Vance,

You are now officially a FreeMan.

Welcome to the club!
  9. Vance

Vance On my meds...

Oddometer:
    My first traveling snafoo...

Well…due to bureaucratic bullshit, I just got screwed out of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>Mexico</st1:place></st1:country-region>. There was a glitch at the bank with my child support in September (I always pay…) so the child support services automatically sends out a notice to the California DMV to suspend my license as of today.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

I yell and scream at child support services and tell them “I am going to <st1:country-region><st1:place>Mexico</st1:place></st1:country-region> and have to have it! You got your money! Give me my license back!” So the girl gives me a sheet of paper to carry in my wallet so that if I get pulled over, the cops will know I am in process. I take said paper to the DMV and tell them of my situation. They say “oh, well it could take 3 weeks for us to get that notice from Sacramento” so they confiscate my “bad” license and give me a permit to drive and staple it to the notice from child support services showing that I can drive pending the official notice from child support services.

<o:p></o:p>

<st1:country-region><st1:place>Mexico</st1:place></st1:country-region> won’t take this. They need valid DL and Birth Cert or Passport. I have my Birth Cert.

I am so pissed. Really sorry I won’t be able to ride down with you John. I will keep going back to the DMV weekly and I am working with the Santa Clara branch supervisor…so maybe I will get to meet you down there before the event is over.

Just had to vent….FUCK![​IMG]

My Aunt needs help with her house anyway...I'll just stick around and help her out in between trips to the DMV. I am having such a hard time looking at 2 brand new Anakees sitting against my wall...waiting to go....[​IMG]
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  10. Queen

Queen Happy Camper

Oddometer:
    To paraphrase from "St. Elmos Fire"...it ain't an adventure till somethin' gets broke! Glad it's just a short delay for you and after hearing your saga I guess the DMV in EVERY state sucks!
  11. osii

osii Disgruntled Time Traveler

Oddometer:
    Vance,

This is an excellent excuse to get an out of state DL sometime along your travels. My florida license seems to be immune from west coast moving violations.

And it's only a small set back. Of course now that you're homeless it can really suck.

You are welcome to come over here and ride the piss out the Sierra's until the next big storm. Mi Casa Su Casa.

I think I'm gonna have to blow off Baja too since a friend is coming into town until the 14th, and I have to go to Utah to pick up my new trailer after that, and I might as well get moved out of here and hit the road for real Dec. 1. If I can get packed up and out of here in time, I'll do the LA-Barstow-Vegas thing.

Mike
  12. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    You don't have a passport? How come?
  13. Techfiend

Techfiend High Priest of Duh

Oddometer:
    So my wife and I go out last night for an anniversary dinner to "The Firehouse" in Old Sacramento. We get in there and what is on the wall? A HUGE GODAMN GIANT painting... of Vance. I shit you not bro, this painting could have been done off of a photograph of you. Alright, so in this one you have 4 legs and a little bit more fur (the painting is of a centaur) but the face is perfect. Freaked me out a little, like you were looking over at me going "Dude, why aren't you riding?"

Next time you're in Sacramento we'll have to cruise over there for some wine, cheese and dessert (the main courses are freaking expensive) and you can check it out for yourself!
  14. Vance

Vance On my meds...

Oddometer:
    Cause the last time I was in Europe was when I was 21 (19 years ago)

Sparticus...I just might ride by and say hi before you split. I got one good slab ride left in the D607s...(it is so hard not to put those Anakees on. I tried to order the Scorpions from SWmototires.com, but they were OOS on the front...and I thought I couldn't wait.)

Techfiend...Why aint you out riden? hahaha :-) Hope to see you at the ....oh yeah..you are going Sunday...I'm going Saturday.

I got so pissed at the DMV that I was considering an IronButt ride the day I get my license back to Key West. 3,450 miles just as quick as I could. Then I checked the camping rates in Key West...($65.00 to $85.00 for a tiny motorcycle camp site inland at the campgrounds![​IMG])
  15. JamesJWeg

JamesJWeg "Speedy"

Oddometer:
    Vance, just get the passport, I got mine in three days once.

James.
  16. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Try AAA and see if you can get an International DL.
    Just make the call.
  17. Gorilla King

Gorilla King Dobar Skorz! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup, pay a little extra and they will expidite.
  18. Vance

Vance On my meds...

Oddometer:
    Lone Rider...I'll give that a try Monday...thanks...(wouldn't they want to see picture ID to start the process though??)

Gorilla...could do that too I spose...just screws with my budget a bit...and I don't know if I could get a passport without picture ID to start with either?? I have a YMCA card with my pic on it...but that's it, other than the DMV temporary thingy.

I knew I shouldn't have handed my lic. to that rep. What a dumbass. I betcha Mexico would not even have checked into the validity...just looked at the pic.

It's just that the letter from them said that I would have to have a new lic. issued and turn in the old. That alone, takes about a week in a perfect world!
  19. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Go to NV or AZ and get a DL. Should be a same day deal. Screw CA.
    Pick some low traffic county like Mohave in AZ and your insurance will drop also. Use some motel's adress if you need to.

Just a few ideas....
    Again, screw CA.
  20. danbrew

danbrew GSAdv.com

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I guess handing over the old license wasn't a smooth move. Lesson learned. It's actually tougher getting a driver's license in most states if you don't have a prior license than it is to get a passport. It's still a pain in the ass to do it quickly - you're gonna need certified copies of your birth certificate and all that. See the link below.

http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/get_first_apply.html