The vintage Montesa Cota mini-bike thread

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Brewtus, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    For that amount of scratch you could get a nice modern one. But I'm sure some Mecum moron will "invest" in it, much to the pleasure of the Mecum moron selling it. :csm
    Huzband and Norman Foley like this.
  2. Solarflares

Solarflares Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fuck me. Didn’t realise I’d put this on the “homeless” forum.
  3. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Nope, not at all. 172s have a place here, even over-restored, Calvin Klein-priced museum pieces. The asking price is a bit insane, or just about right for Mecum Auction boobs.
    Huzband likes this.
  4. Solarflares

Solarflares Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Boobs and auctions? Ah yes. Celebrititties are now selling their old breast implants at auctions to raise money for charities.
    But $5k won’t get you much. Maybe a nipple?
    Agree , it’s surprising what a bit of nostalgia , and a shit-load of inheritance - does to prices of long forgotten junk.
    If parents did the right thing , and simply spent all their money enjoying themselves , then we wouldn’t have all this bollox.
    Don’t even ask me what a Ferrari pedal-car goes for nowadays!

Mind you , times are changing. Before , middle-class children would be deprived of the gifts of things like expensive trials bikes , top electric guitars , designer clothing etc.
    These are the idiots that , when they inherit - make up for lost time , and buy that shit they always wanted when a kid. Add a little mid-life crisis to the equation , and they now outbid each other over the most terriblist shit ever known.
    The good thing was that we seldom had robberies and mugging. Poor kids just accepted their status , and would dish-out spurious beatings instead - if you invaded their patch. A poor kid walking around a decent area , would inevitably be challenged pretty quickly by any adult , as to what they were doing. Rich kids were generally left alone , unless they had a cute sister - in which case you’d hang around her like flies , since they generally were pretty mixed-up and “easy”.
    If you wanted something - you worked for it.

But now , the middle-class buy their kids all the stuff. It’s no wonder the crime-rate is out of control. Scum wander the streets unchecked , grabbing phones , trainers , jackets etc. They even target remote trials venues mid-week , and mug younger riders of their bikes. It’s a pick and mix sweetshop for the deprived - who , if caught , will get a suspended sentence and probation. Home insurance now covers the lost items - and we all pay for it with our inflated premiums. Thanks a lot , you mis-guided twats.
    There does seem to be a slight shift against youth-materialism, and hope for the future perhaps. But then again , it could be because kids are shit-scared to own anything - in case they are killed for it!

Anyway , back to tits........

https://www.ok.co.uk/celebrity-news/523310/katie-price-auctions-off-old-breast-implants

https://www.google.com/search?q=celebrity auctions breast implants&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-m

Or if just one tit is enough.....
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...breast-Star-auctions-single-implant-eBay.html
  5. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Took the bitsa-Cota for a ride in the truck today (Who wants to go for a ride? Wanna go for a ride boy?) to Roswell, NM. Met up with @jberg98n where he dragged his very nice MR50 out so's we could put eyeballs and measurin' sticks on them to see of an MR lump would work. Didn't take long to realize...YES!

20190327_091918.jpg

We got to wondering if the Cota tank would fit on an MR frame...

20190327_094810.jpg

:nah

The search is now officially on for an abandoned MR50 roller! :evil
  6. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Heh heh heh....

20190712_095958.jpg
    jonnyc21 and Huzband like this.
  7. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spent too much time in WEST Texas.
    Huzband likes this.
  8. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    :fpalm
  9. Ymirtrials

Ymirtrials Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ummmm....neat :scratch
  10. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Just wait.... :evil
  11. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Yup as depicted above, found an MR50 derelict. It came out of Washington, @Portlandtyist was nice enough to store it for a while, and it came here thanks to a Team New Mexico member who brought it back from the Oregon National. :thumb I went to Albuquerque Friday to pick it up, get a lot of errands done, then spend Saturday with some of my League teammates prepping some TY80s for the second half of the MWVTA season -

20190713_170600.jpg

Came home this morning, and immediately started planning -

20190714_103150.jpg

Hmmm, just curious if the piston is in good shape....

20190714_112054.jpg

Aww, who needs piston rings anyway? :lol3

More to come....
  12. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Not that I'm ready to build the engine in the MR50 donor just yet, but I did decide to pop off the stator cover and see how much play the crank had in the cases. Found the flywheel nut loose, removed it, gave the flywheel the slightest of tugs and it came off in my hand (good thing, I wasn't sure I had a puller for this one). Peeked inside and....

20190714_124145.jpg

Yeah, no points. Gotta love donor bikes!! :rolleyes

Went to work on some TY engine bits afterward. This thing can wait a while. :lol3

More to come....:thumb
    jonnyc21, Norman Foley and Huzband like this.
  13. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    So I was pretty bummed when I measured the Mister Fitty fork tubes to find out they wouldn't fit into the Cota's sliders, 25mm for the Fitty forks, 27mm for the Montesa's. Durnit. :(

Wait.... 27mm? Aren't YZ80 forks 27mm?

20190716_143452.jpg

Heh heh heh.... :evil
  14. Portlandtyist

Portlandtyist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Update on the Cota49 project. We were about to toss the whole shebang into our local Willamette River due to the fact that we could only get spark less than 3% of the time. Pulling our hair out and asking all our friends (Brewtus one of them) for any tips, pointers etc... We realized that the “new” replacement points had faulty insulators which grounded them most of the time.
    So now, hopefully last time, flywheel is torqued and we are sorting out some cable issues. Learned much in the process.
    jonnyc21, Huzband and Brewtus like this.
  15. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    It's practically assembling itself! :lol3

20190723_082256.jpg
    Buschog, jonnyc21 and Huzband like this.
  16. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Getting closer. Lopped off the Cota's upper engine hangers, and it looks like the MR lump will tuck in nicely. Time to start mocking up the ride height, and start working on some engine mounting plates.

20190723_121124.jpg

A plasma cutter shore would be nice.... :shog

More to come. :thumb