The Virginian's Meanderings

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by The Virginian, Jun 11, 2017.

1. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rather then just adding onto my ride report on this scoot I figured I would just post a thread on the Vespa 946. Any and all are welcome to post anything you wish on this thread. Scooters (to me) are all about just having fun so come on in, I'll leave the light on for you.

If you wish to read the ride report it can be viewed here.

I'm creeping up on 3,000 miles quickly on the first month of ownership and thought I would post my experiences to date. When I got home from Austin I quickly cleaned her up because Bella was covered in bugs and grime in general. Later on in the near future I'll give her a proper detail. I used wheel cleaner on the rear rim as it had quite a bit of build up of brake dust and grim in general. Sprayed it on and hosed it off 2 to 3 minutes later. The clear-coat on the rear rim started to de-laminate almost immediately. :doh :eek7 <sigh>...

So I called up Moto Richmond and explained the issue. A very nice gal in service by the name of Rachel Ballard said bring it on by. So I motored on down there, roughly an hour away and spoke with Rachel. I explained that I most likely caused this to happen and I didn't expect it to be covered under warranty. She took a few cell pics and shot the claim off to Piaggio. It was approved for a new rim in less than an hour. I was shocked! :bow:bow:bow I made an appointment to have it installed the following week and there were no issues. I couldn't be more pleased. I guess once in a blue moon it pays to be honest!

And a few pics from Moto Richmond.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    BigCanoe, sealsam, 125uCrazy and 2 others like this.
  2. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    A couple of random pics on the way home from that day.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I stopped in a coffee shop in Mineral and they had keychains for sale and one was blue. lol No! I didn't buy it.
    [​IMG]

Love this time of year!
    [​IMG]
  3. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like I mentioned earlier I'm creeping up on 3,000 fast and the majority of those miles have been in the rain. So I want to detail the Vespa and get a peek at all the nooks and crannies to see if there's and surface rust or the likes popping up. Usually it's a small issue in the area that the VIN is stamped on the frame. We shall see...

I typically detail my bikes once a month. Get all the bugs off and in general get them looking sharp. It's also a good way to get an up close look at your bike for loose bolts or other issues that might crop up.

When I took delivery, Vespa 946 owners get a nice gift box that contains some goodies in there and the rear pillion seat. I asked AF1 to install if for my journey home thinking in a pinch I might need the real estate to Rok-Strap a bag to. In the end I didn't need it so I want to remove it at the I think the scoot looks better with the solo seat.

Here's a pic of the dual setup.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. HyperRetard

HyperRetard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thats a gorgeous scooter.

And seriously expensive, IIRC.
    The Virginian likes this.
  5. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's a down view of the section I'm going to remove.
    [​IMG]

First the leather seat pad.
    [​IMG]

Then the main seat and the inner shroud.
    [​IMG]

Yep, just as I thought, here's where the VIN is and I want to get that cleaned up right away.
    [​IMG]

What I use to halt rust/corrosion in it's track is ASF-50. Google this stuff, it's amazing! If you ride year round on salted roads, this stuff on your rims will fend it off nicely.
    [​IMG]

I cleaned up the stamped VIM and shot a small dose of ASF-50 into the cap then just used a Q-tip to apply to the area. Using the spray can for this application would crop dust the whole scooter. ;)
    [​IMG]

I'll check on it a year from now and I promise you it will look just like it does now.
    [​IMG]

While the seat is completely off I usually heavily wax the areas that are covered up from body parts that are hard to reach.
    [​IMG]

Here's a pic of the cast pillion seat which weights in at 8lbs 4 oz.
    [​IMG]
    cheapeto, sealsam and nomadicbrett like this.
  6. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep and yep but I found one at a very handy price. ;) Thanks for stopping by!
    villageidiot and HyperRetard like this.
  7. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would like to share how I detail my bike in hopes that it may help help someone. Specifically, I'll be using 3 items for the lions share of detailing.

- Poor Boy's Leather Stuff (for the seat and my leather gear)
    - Chemical Guy's Wet Butter Wax
    - Chemical Guy's Jet Seal
    [​IMG]

The leather stuff does a really decent job of getting stains off the light gray leather seat and conditions the leather as well. My leather gloves, coat and boots take a beating from road grim and bugs here in Va so I tend to got though this stuff on a regular basis.

The butter wax is greasy and easy on, easy off. Not very protective so I use the Jet Seal as a follow-up. They make a Jet Seal for matte paints as well. This stuff is amazing in the sense of putting a hard shell over your wax job and as a result the luster remains for many years to come.

These pictures don't really do it justice but you can see the reflection of the bottom of the seat like a mirror.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The paint is well protected and just pops now when you look at it. Here's a good view of the solo seat or as the Italian's call it Bellissima! Here's a good view of the solo seat for which I prefer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I finally got my misspelled tag sorted at DMV. Woohoo! ;)
    [​IMG]
    shinyribs, td63, thunderkat59 and 5 others like this.
  8. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Subscribed Eric.

Beautiful scooter!
  9. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of the scooters I sold, the Piaggio BV350 went to Alex and he resides in Philly about 1 mile away from Revzilla. He was doing to the BRPW camping trip this week and made a pit stop at Casa De Redneck and crashed here for the night. I got to catch up with him and hear about his adventures. He took a 3,000 mile trip through Egypt on a Sym 150 scooter and it was fascinating to hear about it. Hopefully he'll chime in here as he got to try out the 946 and I think he took a video.

On his way home to Philly!
    [​IMG]
    calmconviction and villageidiot like this.
  10. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jon! Ride that TU250X down here to your old stomp'n grounds and set a spell! ;)
  11. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice scooter, and a nice report. You got lucky warranty-wise on the wheel, because Ive heard other horror stories regarding those special wheel cleaners before.

The 946 does indeed look better (IMO) with the solo saddle as well.
    Im womdering where you buy the scooter "lotions" you speak so highly of....could you post a link? (I wouldn't be a bit surprised if CA doesn't allow these items to be sold here)

Having owned several Vespas old and new, and Piaggios I miss my ET-4 the most. Air-cooled, carbureted goodness!

Enjoy, gonna check you RR too.
  12. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here ya go! thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Butter wax

Jet seal
    Poor Boy's Leather Stuff
  13. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. HelloPitty

HelloPitty Motorbike Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    I really like the styling on that 946. I'm going to keep my eyes open for one. I would want the blue like yours or white.
  15. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just read the whole report. Awesome journey.

Way to take the time and make shit happen.
  16. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own

Oddometer:
    You actually LIKE carburetors? I don't believe I've ever heard anyone on here say that before.
    thunderroad01 and Hittman like this.
  17. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Four of mine are carbed, two fuel injected.
  18. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I dont like them to the exclusion of EFI....gotta roll with the times Jerry!
    (Ive had VERY few issues with carburetors in my riding/driving career, of over 40 years and even fewer with EFI.
    Im. Just. Saying.)
    The Virginian and villageidiot like this.
  19. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    That 946 is a fine looking scoot!
  20. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed. And the blue suits it better than the colors it was originally introduced in IMO.