The Virginian's Meanderings

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by The Virginian, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Hey Eric, I believe your story.
    A friend of mine was a deputy, broke his toes on his right foot and couldn't ride with us for several weeks. He said he dropped his toolbox on his foot. Found a witness that verified his story. One additional fact was added by the witness though. Seems he was distracted by a sweet young thang strutting by in a short skirt!!!.....
    kpinvt, minimac, villageidiot and 3 others like this.
  2. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    That's how I met the Blonde... um, short skirt, not broken toe. Seems to be working out, so far.
  3. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay, time for a few updates on what's happening at Casa de Redneck...

My parts finally came in for the GTS to repair the tip over damage, so let's get to it!

Holy guacamole! I had to tear the scoot down quite a bit to to replace the edge guard molding. I ad to remove the glovebox to remove the floor board. This was a rascal of a job to stretch that molded piece around the gooseneck of the bike.
    [​IMG]

Disconnect all the wiring for the fuse box, electric trunk release and USB charger to permit me to swing the pet carrier out of the way.
    [​IMG]

And finally the floorboard.
    [​IMG]
  4. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here' a look at the business side of the bike under the floorboard.
    [​IMG]

You also had to remove the side skirts and in this pic you can see the US version has the reflector drilled and mounted. I'm going to keet the reclector off and eventually replace the other side skirt as i like the clean look.
    [​IMG]

I mounted up the new edge guard and I was about a half inch too short on hiding the end of the molding so I got to redo it again.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When I removed the skirts I also had to remove the rear tail lamp assembly. It never ceases to amaze me how much dirt and grime get underneath the tail light.
    [​IMG]

I forgot to mention that when I was disassembling the scoot I dropped a bolt for the glove box assembly that's hidden underneath the horn cover. It hit my toe and jettisoned across the garage never to be seen again. After 45 minutes of searching for it I threw in the towel so off to the shop to order 1 lousy bolt has cause this repair to come to a screeching halt.
    sro99, MYUMPH, CaptnJim and 1 other person like this.
  5. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I was reinstalling the skirts there are many rubber receptacles for the skirt to plug into. I use 303 Rubber seal protector for years and it performs great, I highly recommend!

Final assembly of the rear end of the bike and in this pic you can see the reflector missing on the left side. As soon as i get the missing bolt I'll button it up and be back on the road.
    [​IMG]

The front fender I'm going to have a shop install as you have to drop the whole front end to install. I have an appointment next week to get this done. FWIW, I called one Vespa shop and the quoted 1 hour labor, I ask the service write to ask a tech as I think you;re under estimating your quote of around $100 bones. He came back and said yeah it is a big deal the new quote is $550. Holy mackerel, talk a bout a pendulum swing way to the other side! So I called the next dealer and they quoted $220 to install, cool sign me up.

That's it for today. I shove another beater on the lift that I should mention but I'll write about that one tomorrow as I'm beat, I've been wrenching for about 10 hours today on 3 bikes.

(more to come)
    sro99, MYUMPH, CaptnJim and 6 others like this.
  6. Rusty J

Rusty J Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Removing the headset (handlebar covers) first makes it a lot easier, but takes additional time.
    CaptnJim, DandyDoug and The Virginian like this.
  7. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wholly cannoli , and I got frustrated just installing a plug and play UBS outlet.
    I thought about replacing the curry hook with a nice metal one from SW.com until I saw Robot's video .Needing to remove the glove box to do it ??
    Nope I'll keep the plastic one until it fails.
    At least the Virginian has a lift table to work on :-)
    CaptnJim and The Virginian like this.
  8. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay, here's the latest scooter project. I have a nephew that wants to try his hand at scooters. So after many discussions he opted for a 50cc scoot and wants to do it on the cheap. (who doesn't?) I originally found a Metropolitan but it was well weathered when I went to see it and in disrepair at it price range I took a pass.

Next I found a Ruckus in disrepair not running at somewhat a handy price. I had to venture in towards D.C. to look at it which if you live in these parts is a mess fo sho!

The deal on this scoot is the folks daughter used it on campus going to University of Maryland. Brought it home and it got parked in the backyard where it sat for 3 years. It will not start now and (hopefully) will make a good project scoot to resurrect for my nephew.

Sold! Another scooter adventure to get another person on 2 wheels in the wind.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got it home and finally got some time to crawl allover it and see what I'm dealing with.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rusty J, black 8, MiniBike and 6 others like this.
  9. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    First item of order was to knock the stink off of it so I hit it hard with the pressure washer using a de-greaser.
    [​IMG]

Throw it up on the lift and let's find out how bad...
    [​IMG]

I pulled the panels off and it seems some critter was was storing winter's food in there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's 100% bone stock so that's a good point to start from.
    [​IMG]

Bad gas and totally varnished.
    [​IMG]

Looks like some mouse was mealing on some of the wires, luckily no core of the wires have been compromised, just the outer shroud.
    [​IMG]
    black 8, MYUMPH, sro99 and 1 other person like this.
  10. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Air filter is not too bad.
    [​IMG]

Pic doesn't tell the story but the oil is coal black.
    [​IMG]

I pulled the gas tank and there was more surprises underneath.
    [​IMG]

The spark plug is tired.
    [​IMG]

Fuel filter is shot.
    [​IMG]

Coolant is shot.
    [​IMG]
    black 8, simbaboy, MYUMPH and 8 others like this.
  11. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    i dont have too much ruckus experience.....

i repaired one for a guy, 26000 miles, original belt/rollers. i swapped in some 1 gram less Dr pulley sliders, and a new OEM belt, and he said it picked up 8mph.

theyre a pokey little bike, but also fun as hell
  12. beRto.

beRto. -----

Oddometer:
    That looks good... I think it will clean up very nicely! (Also, I never realized the Ruckus is liquid cooled.)
    sealsam and The Virginian like this.
  13. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    So it appears I have my work cut out for me on this project. On the surface and in no particular order I need to do or replace the following:

- Oil change
    - Fuel Filter
    - Coolant flush
    - New spark plug
    - New jets and rebuild carburetor or new carb
    - Seafoam the dickens outta the gas tank or replace
    - Replace all fuel lines
    - Air element
    - Replace fuel pump
    - Replace both brake levers
    - And some miscellaneous crush washers, gaskets, and tidbits.

Here's a good pic of the carburetor.
    [​IMG]

I flushed the coolant and take a look at this, it came out green.
    [​IMG]

Then turned tan? What the heck?
    [​IMG]

And remained separated? Thoughts anyone?
    [​IMG]

Changed the oil. Gotta love the ease of maintenance of an old GY6 Honda motor!
    [​IMG]

The oil screen was not congested and cleaned up for reinstall.
    [​IMG]

Finally took a peek at the CVT. Wow, it was dirty. I cleaned it up and will dig into that when I get the motor straitened out first.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Parts are on order so I buttoned her up and set her to the side till I get some supplies. Actually she's cleaning up nicely imo!
    [​IMG]
    Rusty J, black 8, MYUMPH and 4 others like this.
  14. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now I have never really wrenched on a GY6 so please folks chime in with tips and advice, it would be most appreciated.

I took the carburetor off and dissembled it. The jets were all clogged and for kicks and grins I cleaned them up and slapped it back together. I shot some starter fluid on the intake and she fired right up. Woohoo! First time in 3 years. But! Running rough as a cob and barely at 25% of it's red zone.

So there ya have it. That's what's happening at Casa de Redneck this week. Thanks for looking in on my meanderings!

Eric
    Rusty J, black 8, MYUMPH and 6 others like this.
  15. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:

Agreed! I sure wish you lived close by Colby! I could use a good tech's eye on my crappy work.
    You're not alone! I had no clue that it was water cooled as well. I was looking all over to find the radiator! lol I'll take a pic of it next time I tear it down.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Eric
    MYUMPH, sro99, sealsam and 1 other person like this.
  16. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    you been at it long enough, you know whats right or wrong. me, I'm just an anal prick.
  17. Wolfeboats

Wolfeboats Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow. That's going to be one sweet scooter when you get done. Already looks good.

You've got a lucky nephew. Does he already know how to ride?
    Rusty J, MYUMPH, sealsam and 2 others like this.
  18. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope, I'm going with him to take the beginners MSF class. I asked the parents that sold me the scoot if they made their daughter take a m/c safely class. They said no, she was only going to to ride on campus. Right!!? That's why it has 3500 miles on it all on campus. Lol It all worked out for their daughter so all is good.
    black 8, MYUMPH, sro99 and 2 others like this.
  19. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    eric,

sometimes coolant will separate/coagulate if its not regularly warmed up to tempterature, also coolants don't always mix.

run straight water in it and flush it out a few times.

as for the gas tank, fill it up with coca cola, not the knock off RC cola, or kroger brand, but real coca cola and let it sit a few days, then slap a length of chain in it and shake like hell, rinse, and repeat. it ought to come good after one or 2 cycles.
    MiniBike, MYUMPH, minimac and 4 others like this.
  20. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great advice, this remedy I have never heard of. Thank you!
    sealsam and villageidiot like this.