The Virginian's Meanderings

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by The Virginian, Jun 11, 2017.

1. The Virginian

The Virginian YouTube n00b

Oddometer:

The only thing I'm hesitant on with your application is powering the Garmin with v3.0 charger. In my case it works for my Samsung Note 9 and my cameras. So you may want to ask that question on a Garmin forum and I'm sure you'll get a speedy reply. Assuming the Garmin can be charged via 3.0 or even a v2.0 yes, it will easily power both devices. I doubt you would get this question answered if you call Garmin as they tend to be pretty ornery in customer service.

Basically, there's (I think) 2 wires that you snip off that transfer data via USB, snip them off. You only need the power leads and you're golden.

Here's a Youtube video on how to splice a USB cable and it's fairly simple if you have a small soldering iron. Just seal it up nice so it's waterproof, heck even encapsulate it in silicone and wrap with electricians tape.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Eric
    Rusty J and Ride2Live/Live2Ride like this.
  2. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not where I can search for it right now but there is a big thread on the Garmin 395/396 and using Garmin with USB. FWIW, there is a cable you can get that will not trigger data mode when plugged into USB. I think I'd try that before I started messing with the wiring. Cable cost is something like $15. Then you will know it your USB port will properly support your Garmin. Worse case scenario that it won't give enough power to charge while in use you'll have a spare charging cable that can be plugged into a more powerful USB charger.
    The Virginian likes this.
  3. Wolfeboats

Wolfeboats Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Garmin nuvi worked fine with a cable I found in my junk drawer - regular USB male end and micro USB male end.
  4. cdwise

Oddometer:
    Every Garmin I've owned used a mini USB.
    beRto. likes this.
  5. Salth2ofish

Salth2ofish Ride on scooter peeps

Oddometer:
    T
    That seems to me like it would be the hardest part of planning road trip. Where Are the fuel stations . guess that’s part of the fun of it. But really, kinda boggles my mind.
    DandyDoug and The Virginian like this.
  6. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    So it appears that Mrs. Sandy Claws did hook me up for Xmas and I had a new helmet under the tree this year. :clap The HJC RPHA 79 ST Forvic helmet, some designer I've never heard of? But! I love the color scheme with the gray ghost and it was on closeout. It came with a pin-lock shield with it which I have never seen before. In the past I always had to order one for $30 to $50 bones. Also the finish is metal flake which is cool.

So, I'll be rock'n this helmet this year on the Vespa. I have retired 3 of my helmets this year as they're getting long in the tooth and I want to say helmet manufacturers recommend replacing helmets every 5 years. Might be a good time to look at your helmet and spring for a new one, it's cheap insurance when your head hits the road at 60 mph/96 kph. Buy the best that you can afford!

Features:
    • Advanced P.I.M. Plus (Premium Integrated Matrix Plus) construction: carbon fiber and carbon-glass hybrid fabric for enhanced shock resistance
    • Intake and exhaust top vents for maximum air circulation
    • Rear vent switch for easy control of air flow
    • Anti-fog smoke tinted sunshield deploys quickly
    • RapidFire shield replacement system: quick, tool-less shield removal and installation
    • Emergency cheek pads removal
    • Multicool interior with advanced anti-bacteria fabric provides enhanced moisture wicking and quick drying
    • Crown and cheek pads are removable and washable
    • HJ-26 anti-fog lens prepared shield
    • Includes anti-fog insert lens
    • Glasses-friendly EPS design
    • DOT and ECE approved
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    klaviator, OldCoot, kpinvt and 11 others like this.
  7. Ride2Live/Live2Ride

Ride2Live/Live2Ride On the road again Supporter

Oddometer:
    You deserve this. Well done Mrs Claus
    16873, DandyDoug and The Virginian like this.
  8. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love the color scheme on your new helmet .
    I usually just go for plain white or silver, but that one catches my eye.
    If I had not just purchased a new HJC symax 11 ( or what ever they call it ) I would be buying a standard full face , the one I have is very noisy.
    Mrs Claws got it right :-)
  9. cdwise

Oddometer:
    I plan on replacing my oldest Nolan’s with the new replacement for the n44 before the cannonball.
    Rusty J and The Virginian like this.
  10. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    TBT - Throw back Thursday
    '09 HD XR1200 build that I did and was hitting up the Tail of the Dragon and the Smoky Mountains Circa '17
    [​IMG]
    klaviator, 16873, kpinvt and 9 others like this.
  11. black 8

black 8 motography memories...

Oddometer:
    I miss that bike... looking back I should not have sold it. Thanks for the throwback Eric...

DSC00017.jpeg
    klaviator, 16873, MYUMPH and 2 others like this.
  12. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    That was a super fun bike and I had a build thread here if any interest. Note the jacket I had made in that photo form HD and the Marlboro Man movie. I've had that jacket for 20+ years. :lol3 I'm glad you enjoyed the post Rudy as I've been busy so not too much to write about. My Wide Glide is in a thousand pieces in the garage now getting a new bars and heated grips.
  13. black 8

black 8 motography memories...

Oddometer:
    I'm definitely checking that out...
    16873 and The Virginian like this.
  14. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's one of the best looking Sportster's I've seen .
    Now tell us which were you , Harley or The Marlboro Man :-)
  15. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Harley of course, he had the cool jacket! :photogI had that jacket custom made by Z Custom Leathers out of Huntington Beach, CA. Back then it was hard getting HD pirate gear that had armor so I went with a racer's jacket with armor and trimmed it out like you see. I believe Z Custom Leathers originally made the jacket for the movie and already had the patches. Subsequently, Z has made/repaired many of my riding gear over the decades. I always try to vote with my dollar to the small guy in business whenever possible.

10 hours labor to install that drag bars, thread/hide all the wiring and install heated grips. I will never do another job like that one again. Simply put, it sucked... 37*F/2.7*C today so let's give it a go shall we? :vardy:vardy:vardy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the last non scooter post on this thread, just super happy to get this task off my work bench and onto the next one.
  16. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    For those of you that ride in very cold weather I thought I would throw this out there on your radar. Every year on the infamous Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales are going on I check the usual places that I buy my gear at for decent sales. I decided to upgrade my base layer this fall, Freeze-Out Warm'R shirt and britches. All I can say is wow! This ain't your grandpa's long johns. Wind chill was in the 20s today and they outperformed my expectations! I'm not going to win any fashion shows rocking these when I'm getting dressed but they're worth the coin in my opinion.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And some more parts showed up for the CRF!
    [​IMG]

I have come to really enjoy winter here in VA as I finally take a step back and get to work on fun projects that keep me motivated when I choose not to ride much this time of year.

Total miles for '19 22,507/36,221 kms. I hope to have another good year in 2020.

Thanks for stopping by and reading.

Eric

PS: The pinlock is amazing on the new helmet. Zero fogging on the face shield today which was an anomaly for me.
    klaviator, kpinvt, Rusty J and 3 others like this.
  17. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve had Adolf do a full suit for me
  18. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    He does amazing work this jacket has over 400k on it. Pardon the bugs and slag on it as I'm gearing up to condition and clean all my gear. I paid all the money for this jacket and it has outlasted them all. I believe I got what I paid for.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    klaviator, cabanza, kpinvt and 2 others like this.
  19. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    MYUMPH and The Virginian like this.
  20. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer

Oddometer:
    Love that effin Black Cherry!