1. eNewsletter Sign Up

The Virginian's Meanderings

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by The Virginian, Jun 11, 2017.

1. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    How's Skeeter doing with that Ruckus? :ear
    The Virginian and CaptnJim like this.
  2. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    He's doing okay, he really isn't riding that much since the weather got cold. To date no incidents and the Ruckus is running like a champ. I will report when he starts riding it again in the spring. This kind of falls into the category of, "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it."
  3. minimac

minimac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You'll need to make that boy accompany you on a nice, long backroad tour and teach him what scootin' is all about!
  4. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Thanks for asking S.Ro.

Hanging out with a geezer isn't high on of list of things to do but I will try. :gerg

Back to the Gray Ghost... last month I received the recall notice for the brake. I'm jammed up for the next two weeks putting out other fires so I took a shot and called the dealer to see if Piaggio would cover a tow as the scoot isn't safe to ride at this point. They said nope, so I called and left a voicemail at Piaggio's customer care number and we'll see how this pans out. If not I'll make the time and get it down there for the recall.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm wrenching on the CRF and that project is about 95% done and ready for new adventures.

In other news I'm setting up a small scooter rally at Casa De Redneck this spring so chime in if you're interest and I'll keep you in the loop.
  5. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in for sure. !!!
  6. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    We're all the same age with a helmet on. :ricky :D
  7. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    I will attend if I can fit it into a busy schedule.

Between work and several scooter adventures, spare time is getting tight.

Bill
  8. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ki
    I'd be interested
  9. minimac

minimac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you think time is tight now, wait until you retire!
    BMWBUD, DandM, CaptnJim and 2 others like this.
  10. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can I get an Ahmen on that one.
    OldCoot, Rusty J and The Virginian like this.
  11. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    I am looking forward to testing your theory.
    minimac and The Virginian like this.
  12. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Now regarding the scooter get together, I haunt 3 forums. The challenge here is I can host roughly 16 folks, a bunch of campers so to post this up to the entire ADV forum is just too much let alone two other forums. My thoughts are May 1st through the 4th, the first weekend in May. If we get down to crunch time we may have to slide the weekend back based on weather. I live on a lake so if any of you are kayakers, it might be a win if you tow your bike and kayak down and do some exploring of the 17 mile lake. I will ping a few members to lead some different rides based on interest. Think, Jamestown , Monticello, etc.

I will keep a rolling list and tag each person that states "I'm in" or a "definite maybe" and update this thread as we go. @sro99 and @jon_l , if you boys want to catch a redeye for the weekend, you two can grab whatever I have in the garage. So no excuses, cost of flying and some meals while riding is it. @CashCow please shoot this across the bow of Ken for me. I owe you two boys a tall beverage. @conchscooter Burger run time, I'll have the G&T ready for ya. Any of you hoodlums from CA want to have a go, chime in and I'll save a bike for you. @MYUMPH I know you won't be able to stay for the weekend but maybe you can come down for a ride and meal with the gang on you Burger 200 or Z125! @ysrebob Bob, we would love to have you and you would make a great guide for your neck of the woods.

This will be primarily a scooter run but motorcycles are more than welcome. I will clear out the garage and we should be able to get most of the scoots/bikes in the garage each night. What's unusual about this offer is you will forfeit some privacy, think slumber party. One room has 4 bunk beds, so if 4 of you are in there and 2 snore, I can't help you. Capice? What you lose in privacy you gain in hanging out with 10 to 20 like minded folks to discuss the finer attributes of what we do. Have all the beverages you want and no worries on getting back to a hotel.

We provide breakfast each morning and fruit and water to stow in your tank bag for the road. All other meals are on you, so pizza, Chinese or the like and send someone to go get it, or we all convene at a restaurant and pig out. I'll post a list of GREAT roads to enjoy, many attractions to ride to and see if any interest, and provide links so you can do your due diligence if you so desire. We will provide all linens (wash cloth, hand towel, bath towel, sheets, pillows) for up to 16 folks. I have 3 full baths but only 2 are up for grabs, sorry my bathroom is mine!

So as this list grows and folks commit it may reach a cap and I'll have to cut it off. Campers are always welcome over and above the 16 cap.

In
    @DandyDoug - lower bunk
    @jon_l - lower bunk
    @minimac - Air mattress reloading room
    @tastroman - Bed in the loft
    @ysrebob - in for Saturday, not staying
    @MYUMPH most like will pop in for a ride, not staying

Definite Maybe
    @OldCoot

(more to come)
    Chillis, sealsam, Rusty J and 6 others like this.
  13. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have fun, I'll be on my way back from Germany that time of the year and as soon as I get back it will intense cannonball prep time.
    Chillis and The Virginian like this.
  14. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Wow Eric! What an amazing invitation! Unfortunately the commitments I have don't allow me to leave overnight. I'm happy to have 2 hours each day for a little ride to clear my head. :ricky

Thank you for thinking of me and I look forward to some great stories and pics from the weekend. :beer :clap
    villageidiot and The Virginian like this.
  15. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    My son, Sam is getting married on May 9, then Sarah and I are heading to Europe less than two weeks after that, so it looks like I will have to wait for the 2021 gathering.

Bill
    villageidiot and The Virginian like this.
  16. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very generous Eric. It is the day before my older son's birthday. I just texted my DIL to ask whether the party can be the weekend prior.

I want to say Yes.

Either way, thank you!

Jon
  17. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will definitely try to ride up for a couple hours to visit.
    The Virginian and Chillis like this.
  18. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good time for all Eric, we've seen your gatherings before.

This westerner is unable to attend but can't wait to see the report on this.

Cheers on this one my friend!:drink
  19. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    To think of 4 grown men in bunk beds and the snore fest!
    MYUMPH, DandyDoug and The Virginian like this.
  20. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm calling out for a bottom bunk, needing to use a cane I doubt I can hoist myself up to a top bunk anyway. :smile6