The "what's Troy been up to" (over winter) thread...?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by troy safari carpente, Feb 1, 2011.

1. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente #501 Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Had a few PM's and text messages over the last few weeks from some concerned Oz inmates along the lines of; "whatchya' doin... lately?" :ear

So I thought I had better come on here and dispell the rumours that I had gone stir crazy with cabin fever and disappeared into a pine scented sauna with my laptop...

The truth is I've been busy screwing two Swedish beauties together and rolling around in the snow with them... :evil :deal

[​IMG]
  2. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Okay... okay... so you didn't buy that... did you?! :lol3 (well maybe Shmerel did... but we'll leave him back there on post one to his own devices for a while... eh?! :wink:)

Here's the two swedish beauties I've been screwing together; :deal

[​IMG]
  3. Curryinahurry

Curryinahurry Born 2 Ride

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap

Way to go Troy!!

I want ALL the dirty details!! :deal

Cheers

Bala

PS: Fuggen Freezing in Sydney as well :lol3
  4. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    HUSABERG FE450 "Rallye lite" build thread... :D

[​IMG]

In february 2010, Kent Turesson of KEVA MOTOR AB in Hässleholm Sweden asked me if I would mind helping him put a two rider effort together to compete in the 2011 TUAREG Rallye in Marocco; http://tuareg-rallye.com/

Kent and I had worked closely on putting the 2010 Sv4DE together and the project sounded like a lot of fun... so of course I jumped in with both feet! :evil

KEVA MOTOR is the agent for Husaberg and so obviously the choice was to use a pair of FE 450's for the job... Two riders are to compete at the Rally; Kent Turesson and Martin Jernse... with your's truly driving the team's IVECO service bus on the rally as mechanic/support.

A series of phone calls and e-mails made to Husaberg Rally guru; SafariBerg and quickly confirmed what I thought... there were plenty of tested and proven aftermarket tanks and rally accessories available for the Berg's (thank's largely to the Husaberg Australia team's close relationship with companies like FORCE Accessories, Safari Aqualine etc. over the teams Australasian Safari and DAKAR efforts), so no need to "re-invent the wheel" as so many make the time consuming misstake of doing.

In march, Garry dispatched a list of EVERYTHING we needed... and we began the process of deciding what we wanted to use on the TUAREG 450's (the rally dictates only a maximum of 160 km's fuel range). Most of the choices were made based on Garry's teams familiarity with the new generation Berg's from the Safari in 2009 and 2010, and KEVA's own experience with the FE models in competition here in Sweden... then it was just get on the computer and order the neccessary bits! :thumb

By the end of summer we had most of the stuff ordered and the plan began to take shape. :evil

Then... we did nothing. :rofl Didn't need to... :lol3

Knowing that Garry and the team in Oz had done a lot of the R&D work for most of the package over the 18 months prior or so, made the whole process a lot more relaxed. :D With proven components from companies like Force, 70 degrees, Safari Aqualine, MecaSystems, MD and ICO... it took a lot of the guess work out of everything... all of the other bit's are either Husa/KTM original parts... which was also a big part of the plan... the bikes were to be as "stock" as possible and "look" like Husabergs... not some "one off homemade special" as often is the result with a low series rally special.

We decided to spend our time riding and preparing mentally, instead of endless nights in the workshop. :D There was a bit of a "spanner in the works" when Kent spat himself down the track while we were out training on the 4 days grass special test in September... seperating a shoulder and the mandatory couple of months recovery time... but he declared; "No worries, what the hell... what we can't acheive with youth and exuberance... we'll have to make up for with years of cunning and mischief". :lol3

By late November/early December all the bits were in the workshop and the delivery of two new 2011 model Husaberg FE450's had arrived at KEVA MOTOR.

(telephone call from Kent's son and proprietor of KEVA MOTOR)
    Charlie:"Hey Troy... the bikes are here... should we get around to building these things... or what?" :wink:

Troy: "Yeah... that's probably not a bad idea Charlie... I've got some spare time after new year... we can put the DAKAR on the workshop TV and knock them over before the rest day... whatd'ya' reckon...?!" :D

Charlie: "Sounds like a plan..." :thumb

...and that my aussie friends was what led to this; :deal

http://www.kevamotor.se/tuareg/index.htm :1drink
  5. Rumble

Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Troy , how bout a pic of your mug :evil and not the one you drink from :D Being reading your posts and posted to a few of your answers etc but wont meet you on a ride for sometime so like to see the ratbag that comes up with all those songs :freaky Ohhh and I think I would like to screw the ones on post one :wink:

Bugger just seen your mug shot on the Tuareg Rally site, so dont bother :D
  6. Hunsta

Hunsta Have guns will hunt

Oddometer:
    OK Troy. Youve just outed yourself. Your not a real ex aussie are you? No aussie would have a workshop that clean. Come clean mate. Your an anal retentive German arent you?:lol3
  7. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Snow Bunny Hunter: :rofl
    [​IMG]

Husaberg screwer: :evil
    [​IMG]

Winter trail riding boof-head: :D
    [​IMG]
  8. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    You forgot Troy Carpenter, thrad jacker.

[​IMG]

Oh and those guys who did that web site you linked are in desperate need of a proof reader or a spell checker at the very least.

I couldn't understand any of it.

Looks like they just hit a bunch of keys on the key board and went with that.
  9. Rumble

Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cheers Troy, great to to put a face to the name :clap
  10. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    history suggests....

but hey, what would i know :evil

hi all.
  11. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    In reply to HUNSTA's comment: :lol3

OK Troy. Youve just outed yourself. Your not a real ex aussie are you? No aussie would have a workshop that clean. Come clean mate. Your an anal retentive German arent you? :lol3

No mate... I assure you I'm a dinky-di Aussie... born and raised in central New South Wales. :D

You see, with regards the workshop thing... it's like my old man used to say; "Five hours rummaging around in the crap... will save you ten minutes cleaning up... everytime!" :evil

And the snowbunnies refuse to get up on the work bech if everything is grimy and greasy... so... you know? :wink: (They even make me wear gloves when I touch them! :huh)

HUSABERG FE450 "Rallye lite" build :deal

<TABLE style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD>We began to assemble the first bike after new year. Troy was at Keva for three days to assist Charlie and Fredrik (mechanic) with his experience of how a bike should be built up to cope with this kind of race.
    The foundation is the Husaberg FE 450, which with its durability seemed like the natural choice. Here's a list of the parts assembled. Heavier spec springs front and rear, 70 degree Racing rear subframe that doubles as additional fueltank, FORCE radiator protection, and skid plate with intergral 3 liter watertank and tool box.
    Safari Aqualine auxiliary tank on rear fender, neoprene skins the fork seals and rear shock linkage, Husa/GPR steering damper, vibration damped rubber-mounted bar clamps, KTM roadbook mount bracket, MD electric road book roller, ICO trip odometer, Garmin GPS, barkbusters/handguards, KTM EXC radiator fan and new O-ring chain and gearing package. At the moment the bikes are fitted with spike snow tires (for training in the arctic dunes :D), but come rally time, the bikes with be shod with desert rubber and mousse tubes.

Here are some pictures we took during the construction phase.:deal

(click on pic's if you are myopic)

</TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 width=878><TBODY><TR><TD width=219>[​IMG]</TD><TD width=219>[​IMG]</TD><TD width=220>[​IMG]</TD><TD width=220>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=219>Spanking new Husaberg FE 450</B>
    times two.
    </TD><TD vAlign=top width=219>Naked bike...</TD><TD vAlign=top width=220>The 70 degrees subframe that serves as a 4,5 liter fuel tank...</TD><TD vAlign=top width=220>FORCE radiator guards and heavier WP fork springs...</TD></TR><TR><TD width=219></TD><TD width=219></TD><TD width=220></TD><TD width=220></TD></TR><TR><TD width=219>[​IMG]</TD><TD width=219>[​IMG]</TD><TD width=220>[​IMG]</TD><TD width=220>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=219>Rear fender sculpted for fitting of the auxilliary safari tank on the rear</TD><TD vAlign=top width=219>22 liters all up (if we need it) the rear tank can be removed for the "sprint" stages in 10 minutes if need be...</TD><TD vAlign=top width=220>Prototype of the Road book mount and GPS bracket...</TD><TD vAlign=top width=220>Sumpguard with watertank and toolbox...</TD></TR><TR><TD width=219></TD><TD width=219></TD><TD width=220></TD><TD width=220></TD></TR><TR><TD width=219>[​IMG]</TD><TD width=219>[​IMG]</TD><TD width=220>[​IMG]</TD><TD width=220>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=219>After we done one, we start on number two...</TD><TD vAlign=top width=219>Husa/GPR steering damper...</TD><TD vAlign=top width=220>Front cowling... original Husaberg.</TD><TD vAlign=top width=220>Extra cooling fan... for when "hot" is not hot... :wink:</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></B>
  12. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Well with bike number one bolted together and all of the "special bits and bracket" fabricated (there's always something :wink:), we decided for some rest and recreation out in the snow on the 2,5 km Sv4DE grasstest alongside KEVA's workshop...

Charlie (KX 250F), Kent (GasGas 250Fe), Martin (Husa FE380) and Troy (GasGas 250 sixdays 2 smoker) adjourned to play in the snow for a day and take some happy snaps of the team riders...:deal

<TABLE style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 width=878><TBODY><TR><TD width=219>[​IMG]</TD><TD width=219>[​IMG]</TD><TD width=220>[​IMG]</TD><TD width=220>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  13. Knackers

Knackers Polishing Turds

Oddometer:
    my eyes!!!!!!!!!

thank god for the braille keyboard!

what colour is this? Ring me, i just wiped my arse with the cat
  14. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Well with the DAKAR over, it was time to get back to the real world... yeah that's right; get down to
    completing the second bike. :lol3

Kent and Charlie had all the "special bits" of being welded and painted, while Freddan and Charlie put
    berg' beauty number two together in the shop.

Meanwhile Troy suantered up to the swedish capital to attend the "On Two Wheels" Motorcycle EXPO...

I was the guest of Hasse J (Swedish inmate on ADVRider) and another rally desciple mate of mine and newly
    converted Husaberg rally tragic (thanks to SafariBerg :lol3). Keen readers of the snowflake files will remember
    Hasse and his 570FE Rally Berg' from the Dirty Long Weekend thread :deal
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638436

[​IMG]

Anywho... both hasse and I were seconded into hanging out at the fair with
    Scandinavian Offroad Services http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f.../Scandinavian-Offroad-Service/111461888911934
    and Rally Raid Sweden http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...8415732124.35120.1276882350#!/rallyraidsweden
    who had pooled resources in an effort to promote the sport of desert rally to the swedish motorcycle public.

Rally Raid Sweden has 14 riders entered in the upcoming TUAREG Rallye and has contracted Offroad Sevices
    to privide transport and logistical support for their assault on the event. During the trade fair they had the
    team truck and some of the teams bikes on display. All of the team riders were present over the four day show
    as well as the teams four mechanics. I was there in my capacity to preach to the rally faithful and spread the gospel
    about http://www.swedishmotosafaris.se/ and the http://australasiansafari.com.au/website/home.html

Team KEVA MOTOR will also be allied to the viking hoarde down in Marocco... all in all a team of 23 Swde's
    (and one Aussie) will be attending the TUAREG Rallye in march: 18 riders, 6 mechanics, one SCANIA support truck
    and two IVECO service busses... biggest team on the rally! :D

Here's some photo's from the weekend expo of the Scandinavian Offroad Service/Rally Raid Sweden effort; :deal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The EXPO had about 50,000 attendees over the four days and both saturday/sunday there was a constant
    stream of people on the stand asking all sorts of questions.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

At 12:00 to 14:00 on the saturday Rally raid Sweden had a press conference and was interviewed by Inge Berkvist
    from RACE MC Sport magazine about the teams preparations for TUAREG.

Some of the RRS team riders: (from left front) Martin Götlund Husa 450, Calle Hagenblad KTM 450 EXC,
    Hasse Jiredal FE570, Anders Berglund (manager) FE570, Mike Berglund Honda CRF450, Björn Magnusson KTM 690R.
    Rear: Peter Hellekant (support/mech), Mattias Eriksson KLX 450R, Mattias Karlsson (support/mech).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On sunday afternoon, when things died down... Rally Raid Sweden's manager - Anders Berglund - held a team
    meeting for all the riders and presented the service team plan for everyone.
    [​IMG]

Look out Marocco... the vikings are coming... :rofl
  15. Sebastionbear

Sebastionbear Oh! heck...

Oddometer:
    Well the cat is brown...............................................now!! :lol3:lol3:lol3
  16. viz

viz I Ride Ms Piggy

Oddometer:
    Liar :loco

viz

:lol3
  17. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Upon my return home on monday night, I went by the workshop... and what was standing there...?

Two completed Husaberg FE450 Rallye "lite" bikes, ready to go to the TUAREG Rallye! :D :deal

[​IMG]

Engine sump guard (FORCE products) with intergrated 3 liter water tank and 2 liter tool box in
    powder coated alloy... tough as nails, one bolt to remove.
    [​IMG]

The office (from top):
    ICO digital tripmeter
    (below trip) MD electronic roadbook roller
    (to right) Garmin 60cx GPS
    (under roadbook) standard Husaberg trip
    (left handgrip) MecaSystems remote thumb roadbook control
    with combination tripmeter reset switchblock.
    [​IMG]

Auxilliary Safari rear tanks for extra fuel capacity and standard front tank, makes for slim
    ergonomics and fuel range for the desert stages.
    [​IMG]

The models show their left profile on the catwalk...
    [​IMG]

Husaberg FE 450 Rallye "lite" with navigation equipment and standard Husaberg enduro front lamp
    [​IMG]

Race ready, lean and mean rallye machine
    [​IMG]
  18. Phil_Fong

Phil_Fong Over Regulated

Oddometer:
    You've got no idea what joy you bring us, Troy

Here we are lurching from one natural disaster to another, the anguish, the worry and the impemding depression .....

But enough about Shmerels ride reports.

By crikey this project looks the goods !

2011 Tuareg Rallye - bringing it on :clap
  19. outback jack

outback jack Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those bikes look shit hot Troy :clap what about the Bling graphics mate, can we expect the boxing Kangaroo or maybe a XXXX sticker or two. :lol3
  20. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    I'm sure Charlie will work out something trick... he's got his own you beaut computer controlled, digital graphics, colour plasma screen, CAD assisted, die cut vinyl sticker making machine...

So it's either that, or a XXXX sticker! :rofl