The "what's Troy been up to" (over winter) thread...?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by troy safari carpente, Feb 1, 2011.

1. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :thumb

actually... I was just tidying up after this pair of clowns... :wink: :deal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... a fun day at the lake...
    ferals5 and nevgriff64 like this.
  2. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    role call...

Yours truly spent most of saturday helping his swede mate "Mekano-son" give this (near) new 2017 KTM 450 Rallye Replica a first shakedown run... and some help to adjust the suspension etc. :1drink

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We found a couple of relatively straight choppy sections where he could get up into 4th or so and give it a bit of a wallop over some lumpy bits...

... and then after an hour or two... I got a chance to take the toy out for a lap of the 6km x-country grass track myself... talk about addictive. :1drink
  3. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    And so, what's the ride like?
  4. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Awesome... a very low centralized feel to it, thin, balanced and very good ergo's - definitely a competition feel to the cockpit...

It was very stable, straight tracking chassis... and the suspension was super supple, progressive damping (perfect comp/rebound) faultless front and back (though it was if not - just a touch lightly sprung I thought)... But to be fair - it was hard pack ground - not sand - which the bike was most recently set up for.

On the tight turns of the x-country grass track, it turned like you'd expect (a rally bike with a big nav tower up front) ie. it wasn't like the enduro and mx mounts one is used to pedalling around that type of track... (the Michelin desert/desert mousse on the front probably did not help much) but it was still pretty damned good all the same. I had to remind myself not to get toooo attack position off some of the whoops and jumps, as I nearly snotted me beak on the roadbook/nav tower a couple times - it's been a while since last on a full rally fairing bike.

The motor was faaaaaarging brilliant, plenty grunt off bottom, revved like no tomorrow and surprisingly - not at all vibey... It shifted gears sweet as; up or down - just a tap of the toe was all. Good clutch feel. This motor and my twin cam 505SXF... easily my favourite two competition fourstroke engines that I have ridden.

The only thing I could fault on the bike (other than the slightly soft spring rates on the boingers) was the back brake... it was so strong, that I locked the back up coming into tighter turns several times. The combination of the Michelin Desert tire (never the best in side grip) and the heavy rear fuel load bias... I got a feel could lead to a "high side" lock-up or stall would be on the cards... I had to "grab clutch" on a few occassions - and then "played it safe" from then on - not wanting to bin my mates new scooter..

okay, it is fair to say - that is NOT the type of course that the bike is designed for (ISDE grass track x-country test). Yet from the straighter bits, where you could taste a gobb of fourth gear hard... the thing seems as straight and stable as a train... which is probably what the design brief for spearing through the desert at Red Bull pace is. Even so - it got around the corners waaaaay better than a 660 or a 690... and would smoke my SE 950...

So... if KTM made a production line / showroom version of it, or sold the same chassis package with a 701 Husky donk in it... I'd be sold - no question.
    Mouse and 0405canvet like this.
  5. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    "though it was if not - just a touch lightly sprung I thought"

From the look of this pic, suspect you're right ...

[​IMG]
  6. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    You think that's the bikes fault?
    Hoots, Hunsta and Mouse like this.
  7. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    And that was before the G-out.
    Mouse likes this.
  8. crash n bern

crash n bern Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess with the cold winters and the strong seasonal changes it makes you more organised to get the most out of summer. Thanks for sharing, I'm always fascinated with the Nordic countries and watch a lot of Nordic tv shows.
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  9. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    SO, positioning things to buy one Troy?

Must admit, the one negative about living on this island is the fact that there's soooo many rfr's for sale in continental Europe on an ongoing basis.
    Heaps listed on the factory rally/rr/rfr facebook page. New sale listings every other day.
    Whats shipping to Oz worth I wonder?
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  10. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    Feeling the love Troy...?

I'd reckon a lot less than compliance, richo, though I wonder if you could get one registered under the limited imports scheme (or whatever it's called)
  11. crash n bern

crash n bern Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure Troy would be more than happy to dismantle one into a thousand pieces and mail them all to you.

Shipping wouldn't be too bad. Customs charges might give you a bit of a haemorrhage. Best to bring it over in boxes as parts. Or go visit Troy and bring back the parts in your luggage. A lot of Harley boys pack motors into those esky's with wheels and bring them back with them as personal luggage. Just pay the weight excess.
  12. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mouse, recreation rego here in Vic is $81-70 pa. No ADR compliance needed.

Or an older pre 2010 450exc etc is cheap... get full rego, park it in the shed and use the numbers off it.
    Of course, thats highly against the rules, and Id never suggest that.

I have heard that KTM Oz may be in a position to arrange ADR compliance for imported bikes and RR's etc for relatively cheap. Not sure if its been actually done, but I believe JL himself has a 450rr and maybe thats the reasoning for it.
  13. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    I saw what my mate went through (took a month constant) to get his registered here in Sweden, so yeah - the biggest drama with getting an RR of any type fully registered and insured in Oz for general road usage, would be the ADR's.

If KTM Oz has a way of jumping through the hoops to get it done, then that would be a big plus... but trying to accomplish on ones own... :baldy patience and a tolerance of bureacracy will be required.

As the 450RR is a purebred race machine (no cat, no ABS, a very bare minimum as far as indicator/turn signal, horn and other "traffic" concessions go), apparently they are a pain in the arse to register* in many euro countries.

*(I dare say that there are lot of 450RR's etc. that turn up at rallies with 450 EXC licence plates on, than you'd think... but you didn't hear that from me... :hide)

If rec' rego allow's you to ride it on the roads etc. (not just in the bush at designated trail areas) Richo - then that's awesome... I wonder how that complies with entering a competition event (as acceptable registration/licence/Insurance) perspective goes?
  14. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    the wallet would take a hammering
  15. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    I was actually referring to the crowd piling in on top of you but hey, you want to flip for one I might even come visit :photog
  16. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Yeah... I saw that everyone was in on the "light spring rate" comment.

Fact is (that in the the pic's) it is my buddy riding - he is a good bit taller AND heavier than me... but considerably more sedate pace wise. At the speed he trundled along through the wallows at, I could see it was soft (but it didn't bottom) and he was tickled pink at the suspension action... (which is the important thing - he is gonna' ride it) :norton

Later I took it for a wallop at a conservatively 25 to 30% brisker canter... and I felt right away that it was too low in the stroke (front and rear) in the lumpy stuff. The damping was awesome - but the spring rate too light.

But it's a good example that a photo does not always make a good indication... velocity and weight/momentum don't convey real well in static photo's.
  17. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:
    You can walk into your KTM dealer in OZ and order a 19 model ADR stickered Rally replica at the moment ........ $55 K though :hmmmmm . Yes that is confirmed , I did the asking at my local dealer , full Toby replica for $55 K . I actually considered doing it for about 10 minutes until the fantasy ended when I looked at my bank balance .
  18. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:
    I thought you might be considering doing a similar thing to your mate Troy , the clues were in some of your FarceBook posts about a week ago ..... something about sadly letting some toys go ?????
  19. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    :nod

and about 35 K get's you a one rallye old (last years) model (over here) in good nick... :1drink

Group discount if ya' buy two... :lol3
  20. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    yeah... no.