The "what's Troy been up to" (over winter) thread...?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by troy safari carpente, Feb 1, 2011.

1. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    The only thing I can afford to lump through the whoops; is this good old girl...

received_10211121658409715.jpeg received_10211121658929728.jpeg received_10211121666449916.jpeg received_10211121666569919.jpeg

... and even she has a price on her head at the moment...
  2. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    If you let some toys go, the new Specilized Turbo Levo comes out tomorrow Troy.:evil
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  3. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    yeah... that'd be nice... if...
  4. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    Is that current spec or the last model? These things seem to be changing so fast it's hard to keep up with which 450 is which.

Al, if that's 55k aud landed with adr 'tis positively cheap.
  5. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    No... thats the 2016/17 "beak" version...

[​IMG]

this is the previous "customer" 450RR (2014/15) :deal

[​IMG]

the "latest" 2018 version 450RR (below) has only - so far - been available to the factory riders at Red Bull KTM (Sam, Mathias, Toby and Princess Laia) and the team Husky clones (Pablo, Short etc.)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... though I understand that the "order form" for the customer spec' version - to be delivered to privateer riders assigned for DAKAR 2019 - went out a few months back... what quantity that Mattighofen will build of the 2018/19 spec 450RR's - I have no idea... it is usually somewhere between 35 and 50 units I believe.
  6. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    Must've upped production (or less demand) to be offering them retail here in oz.

Damn, I want to buy 6 bikes but not the one I'd really like...guess I'll have to wait till Richo gets sick of the one he buys.
  7. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    I Believe that the 450RR that OFBM referred to (available for purchase ADR'd from Aussie distributor) is the white (customer 2016/17 "beak" version) at the top of my previous post. They made a pretty healthy production run of those over two- and half - years.
    ferals5 likes this.
  8. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well.... technically you can OFBM.
    Here, you've actually got to get the head honcho of KTM Oz to sign off.
    With only 50 or so produced annually, theyre not going to let them go to cashed up bogans / rich wannabes. ( not you, just a comment)
    Factory teams, proven privateer teams and rally proven individuals are all prioritized. Many/ most presold before they are even assembled.
    Scott Britnell rang me before his ( failed due to injury) 2016 Dakar tilt about getting one... i put him onto a mate at ktm, and he still had to justify it to Jeff and get a sign off.
    But yeah, if i had the cash. Id be tempted. But realistically ( .......and being smart about it ) it's easier to buy a 2nd hand 16/17 unit.
    ferals5 and troy safari carpente like this.
  9. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    Britnell's bike afaik wasn't adr though? Only adr versions i know of were the 690 ones I think, i am unclear on the 660 but they date back to the Stone Age now...
  10. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mouse, i believe only 6 690rfrs were delivered ge with full ADR compliance.
    Scott's being one ( you might be surprise where it appears lol) .......and one in qld i know of.
    No 450s to date.
    One 660 on bike sales currently, has been swapped into a modified 640 frame. Apparently.
    Don't know if any other adrd 660s.
  11. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    ^^^ The majority of the older 640 and 660 rallye's in Oz were brought in individually, in dribs and drabs as private imports (for the Safari) mostly - as far back as 1997 (Andy Haydon's 640 Rally was the first real rallye). Kinigadner and Saincts bikes (1995 and '96) were on carnets - just for the rally duration... and Hoffman's KTM's were modified LC4 620 GS's, with big acerbis tanks and roadbook set up on the bars.

most of the LC4's of that generation now have a fair bit of "grandfathers axe" on the rego papers I would imagine.

There were six 690R rally replica's imported by KTM Oz prior to the 2007 WA safari (I saw two uncrated at Woody's in Alice Springs prior). These all had the ADR papers - as Richo wrote - as they were some derivative of a 690E (on the paperwork in any case).

How they have done the ADR or rego compliance on the various 450RR's that have made their way to Oz since 2010... I think Richo's take on that is close to the mark. They are still a pretty limited edition/specific use type of machine.
  12. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Have been at FINNBUILD Expo in Helsinki this week - Finlands largest Building and Ventilation industry trade show...

The Finn' racers know what they have to do to give their sponsors general public exposure...

022.jpg

This is the 2018 Finnish MX1 champion - Erik Kahro - KTM 450 SXF on display... in the MERCEDES BENZ Commercial vehicle stand.
    021.jpg

Lot's of nice trick bits (HGS full Ti exhaust system) etc. on the Flying Finn's race rocket...

023.jpg

And the reigning Finnish Rally Champion (with his WRC spec SKODA Fabia) also had the trick 4WD rally rocket on display...

019.jpg
    Mouse and Phil_Fong like this.