The Wife, the Ex and the kid do Namibia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by metaljockey, Oct 19, 2009.

1. tenderfoot

tenderfoot PRJ

Oddometer:
    I assume as a % more SA riders have been to Namibia purely due to proximity considerations. It is not a common tour though, being far and challenging in sections.

This is a fascinating and entrancing report.

Thanks MJ.
    jorrie likes this.
  2. Rebelspawn

Rebelspawn Wanna Touch It?

Oddometer:
    Thanks to you and your family for sharing !! :clap

Reb
  3. Lambo

Lambo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the wonderful RR:clap
  4. metaljockey

metaljockey Dodgy SOB

Oddometer:
    Day 9 – Brandberg to Palmwag

[​IMG]

Sunrise the next morning and Brandberg shows where its name comes from. Check out the 4x4 with rooftop tent. This is the most common rental vehicle in Namibia. People hire them fully kitted and spend a week or weeks travelling the land camping where there are no other facilities.

[​IMG]

This is our camp.

[​IMG]

Our peace gets disturbed by the German woman at the next camp screeching in what sounds like a demon possessed falsetto bass voice. Apparently those are the sounds they make when their children are gored by wild animals, more specifically, this wild animal.

[​IMG]

Like I said, springbuck are combative little bastards. Ten minutes after the sounds from hell next door subsided and the kid stopped crying this okie also took me on.

Let me give you some springbok fighting tips. They go in low and normally get you on the shins, the immediate reaction is to grab hold of the horns to get the pain away from your shins, but that is a mistake. That’s what they want, now you are fighting them the way they know how.

What you should do is lean right over and give him a mighty smack on the flank. Takes him completely by surprise and gives him sudden respect for his opponent.

Otherwise they are the cutest pets.

[​IMG]

When I was here in 2004 there were elephant all over the camp. The camp is not fenced. I had hoped that we would get elephant here but all the tracks and dung I see are too old. Yesterday in the riverbed we came across fresh tracks a couple of times but we saw nought.

Not 5 km from camp, as we cross the Ugab on our way to our next destination, we run into very fresh tracks, fresh enough that they were probably made as the sound of the bikes drew nearer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We proceed very slowly, I have no intention of crowding an elephant. Less than 200m on we catch sight of them.

[​IMG]

We get out of the sand and onto a lekker track, but not long and I spot an ellie right next to the track.

[​IMG]

We are not going to get past this one, unless he moves off.

[​IMG]

So we get off the bikes (hurriedly) and onto a rocky outcrop where we get a nice view.

[​IMG]

Excuse me while I powder my nose.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

About half an hour later he wanders off and we can get down and continue.

[​IMG]

Brandberg in the background.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very scenic and very entertaining riding.

[​IMG]

Check out the rock growth.

[​IMG]

Once on the gravel we almost get caught out by washaways. Tharina in fact stopped in the rocks, coming from the far side of this one.

[​IMG]

We stop in at Aba Huab for a quick beer and pull in for fuel at Palmwag. Not what one would call a metropolis and cash only.

[​IMG]

Our overnight stop is at Palmwag lodge where we get a nice secluded camp (there is only one, the others are all on top of one another).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We eat in the restaurant before we turn in for the night.
     
    Rich Rider and klaviator like this.
  5. metaljockey

metaljockey Dodgy SOB

Oddometer:
    Day 10 Palmwag to Ongongo

[​IMG]

Today’s ride is a short one, less than a 100km. Our destination is Ongongo. It is a fresh water spring that comes out of the mountains and cascades into a pool. In this dry area it is quite a thing.

[​IMG]

The kid wastes no time, she loves water.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She also likes dancing.

[​IMG]

We spend the day swimming, lazing around, taking some pictures and we are the only people there. Also the ideal opportunity to get some laundry done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As we sit under a tree by the hammock, we hear something behind us and see a very pretty snake of about 1 – 1.2 m coming past on its way to the pool. I fetch the camera but he is not keen on me following him around so this is the only picture I get. Not long after another similar but smaller one goes by the same way.

[​IMG]

When I ask the staff about it, they say it is a Zebra and he spits venom. I do not know this kind of snake, but it turns out that it is a cobra variant that is very short tempered and spit for very little reason. They account for the most human/snake incidents in Namibia. Like all spitting cobras they are very accurate and if you do not treat your eyes quickly, it leads to permanent blindness. Some weeks later when at another lodge their assistant chef got hit in the eyes by one of these while we were there.

[​IMG]

When you climb to the top of the pools there are many smaller hot tub type pools.

[​IMG]

This is our camp.

[​IMG]

And the kid’s camp, she wants her own space.

[​IMG]

Fashion police alert.

[​IMG]

This day of relaxation and swimming does us a world of good. After we go to bed, an overlander group arrives. If they intend departing in the morning again, I fear they have missed the whole point of coming here.
    klaviator likes this.
  6. Monsieur

Monsieur Varadero Journeyman

Oddometer:
    Another superb ride report - thanks for sharing :clap
  7. Game over

Game over Haha

Oddometer:
    Thanks for another great ride report. I just got caught up on this one and will follow it to the end. good luck and have fun with the family.
  8. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    As usual for you, your Africa trips astound me. But even more than that, the family photos make me smile. Great job.
  9. Vinbowie

Vinbowie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Almost paradise. To be there is one thing but to share it as a family........
    :norton Just.........Wow

Oh and waiting for elephants to move!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]
  10. Dessert Storm

Dessert Storm Dances With Drunks

Oddometer:
    Showed my little boy this report, standing to one side and watching as he kneeled on the chair and scrolled down the first page.

'Dad! There's a little kid on a bike like yours!'

'I know. She's a little girl, her name is Peanut, and that is her Dad riding the bike. It's a bit different, but yes, it is quite like mine'

More thoughtful scrolling.

'Dad, do you think we can we go on a trip like that?'

'We sure can. Might not be any elephants where we go, though'

So thank you, MJ. That's another eager recruit to the league of AdvKids! :thumb
  11. StinkyCheese

StinkyCheese Red or Green? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic! This RR just keeps getting better. :D
  12. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road Supporter

Oddometer:
    Amazing!
  13. Rashnak

Rashnak Lorem Ipsum

Oddometer:
    Wow!

Thanks for sharing.

:clap
  14. Saeed

Saeed Life-long learner

Oddometer:
    :clap Thanks for bringingus on your adventure
  15. Dudelookslikealady

Dudelookslikealady Somewhere Else

Oddometer:
    Fantastic! It looks to be the most perfect ride ever.
  16. Nik00117

Nik00117 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    YOu just made me decide where I want to ride at, one day I'll go and do the trail and ride that you have done.

Thank you :)
  17. PesVis

PesVis n00b

Oddometer:
    That snake you saw is quite common. You would have probably heard of it by another name: Rinkhals. Quite interesting is they look different depending on which area the live in
  18. Rollin

Rollin Go.

Oddometer:
    I can't explain how envious I am of you. Namibia is stunning. Thanks for bringing us along.

By the way, this is the best bit of writing (and perspective) that I have read here in a while:

"I ride at her 4 o’clock and I get too clear a view of the DRZ repeatedly getting out of shape at 100km/h. When it starts going ape shit she jumps up on the pegs and gasses it. That’s right and that’s how I taught her but it’s not a good thing to watch in real time. I pull her over and we turn the damper up. It looks like it is a little better but this road is not nice, and Tharina is not fresh and perky. When she hits those sand ridges combined with heavy corrugation especially, the bike just gets violently out of shape.

Watching her ride turns into an ordeal for me. I know that if she goes down at this speed on this road, she’s gonna get hurt properly, braking bones and shit. Twice I feel the adrenaline shooting into my scalp when I think she's going down, but she rides the throttle hard and long, and she pulls it through.

But the reality of it is, that this is what I expect of her every time I go away on a trip. She sits at home not knowing if I’m going to come back happy, broken or not at all. And this is her choice, she wanted to do this trip, she is a grown woman who knows the risk and accepts it. I should respect that. So for my own sanity I fall back a kilometer or two. Not having to see it makes it easier."
  19. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Excellent stuff! Very beautiful part of the world - and your photos are amazing. :thumb
  20. LadyCruiser

LadyCruiser Everything Starts With a Dream

Oddometer:
    I'm speechless...
    Congrats :clap for all trio ;)