The wife wants to move to New Zealand, will I go mad?

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by enduro-ince, Mar 22, 2019.

1. wass

wass Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would say NZ is more like a piece of Europe out in the Pacific.
    Oz seems to have a lot of 'motorised recreation' being allowed in the State Forests, NZ not so much.
    And if your thing is to get away from civilisation for a few days, Oz is the place.
    I like them both, but they are very different.
    Mc107 and Sfcootz like this.
  2. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer:
    Shoalhaven above Tasmania and West of New Zealand
    Or Wilson Peters ..... nuff said :brow
    Night Falcon likes this.
  3. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    or Winston Peters ...end of story :D
    slowbike smallpenis and KiwiPewe like this.
  4. Ducatijim

Ducatijim Hopeless Poseuer!

Oddometer:
    57AB1ADF-0CB5-4A21-80A4-6BA365BF480B.jpeg We don’t have public lands for moto recreation like you do in the states, I have ridden both countries extensively and NZ will be waaay too small moto wise after what you have been spoiled with.
    young1, Mc107 and Night Falcon like this.
  5. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer:
    Shoalhaven above Tasmania and West of New Zealand
    Yeh or him either. :loaded
    Night Falcon likes this.
  6. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    depends what you're after. "trail riding" as you put it, definitely the south island is my pick.

big wide open spaces and go anywhere (like australia and maybe colorado)? nope. agree with ducatijims post there.

lots of public land/bush i can just unload my enduro and let her rip? nope.

most of nz is either private farm land, forestry (nope) or crown owned bush/national park (mostly nope)

there's plenty to look at here but 98% of it will be from a public road of some sort. remotemoto sells the dream well, but i'm not clear on how much of his content requires permission from private land holders. it appears he's fairly well connected, but fair play to him he's done the homework. i sold my dirtbike because i dont like organised mass group rides around forestry/farm tracks. all a bit same same for me.

about the only anti off road voice i'm aware of is the govt depts that dont have the budget to fix damage done by the 4wd and dirtbike dickheads. "stick to the formed tracks" is a common sign.

away from the main centres, the country folk are pretty good. i'm just back from a trip in the south island in my 4wd ute. early one morning we found ourselves needing to traverse private farmland (contrary to the 2 maps i had). knocked on the homestead door and after introducing myself and a small donation for track maintenance we had permission. it was great.

if you're more into travelling a to b off the main roads there's enough here to keep you busy for a couple of years.
    Night Falcon likes this.
  7. ETZ

ETZ Gary

Oddometer:
    The shooting you refer to was done by an Australian. Such mass shootings are so rare here that it only the second one in my lifetime. I’m 68.
    The Goverment has now banned most semi automatic guns and even stricter gun laws are coming soon.
    Mc107 and Muzz67 like this.
  8. Muzz67

Muzz67 Unadventurous

Oddometer:
    3rd, 2 in Dunedin.. but still safer here than merika by a thousand percent where mass murder is often a daily occurance.
    ETZ and Mc107 like this.
  9. Adventure Moto

Adventure Moto Formerly Known as MOTOXNUT

Oddometer:
    Three different types of riding talked about in all the above posts, most comments I agree with but to clarify.......

Adventure riding - The south island definitely has the best riding to offer here with access allowed to many places that DOC would not even consider granting access to up in the north island.
    Although the north island does have plenty of gravel roads if that is all you are looking for.

Trail riding - Once again the south island wins with access to free riding area`s that are not readily available in the north.

Organized Trail Rides or Trail Bike Parks ( this is where you pay to ride for a day $30-$60 ) The north island definitely wins out on this one as there are many more bike parks and many more organized trail rides in the north island probably due to the higher population base and better winter weather.
    These range from farm based trail rides over the summer to forestry and bush trail rides in the Autumn and winter, with some of the all weather trailbike parks ( Auckland and Bay of Plenty ) open all year round.
    For these type of paid events check out this website to see what is on offer http://www.silver-bullet.co.nz/events.php/
  10. ETZ

ETZ Gary

Oddometer:
    The homicide rate in the USA is more than five times higher than in New Zealand.
    Mc107 likes this.
  11. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    there are a hand full of areas you can trail ride...
    but most private land is gated off...
    why the organized trail rides are so popular in a lot
    of cases it is the only chance you get to trail ride..
    I am talking trail riding not adventure type riding..

sorry to say but NZ is not the trail riding mecca the internet would
    have you believe..
    Adventure riding here is great...real trail riding really sucks..
    A road legal trail/duel sport bike dose give you a few more options..

Ducatijim and oldbeer like this.
  12. painkilla

painkilla MeTaL HeD

Oddometer:
    This! if you like to ride like I do , this country will be too small for you, coupled with the fact that vast amounts of land is privately owned and inaccessible and that conservation land use is restricted.
    I often watch youtube videos of adventure riders in America and get severely depressed at the amount of awesome riding and variety you have would glade swap passports with you!
    Ducatijim and wass like this.
  13. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    hi, troll :-)
    Don't let the door slap you on the arse...and don't come back whingeing.
    Knowing both sides pretty well plus Europe and living in Oz, I don't have to watch YouTube to
    make a call on NZ. You should go out more often....
    KiwiPewe likes this.
  14. painkilla

painkilla MeTaL HeD

Oddometer:
    lived in Africa for 20 years, lived in Oz for 10, lived in NZ for 12, ridden everyone of those continents top to bottom,NZ is stunning, and if good condition gravel roads are your definition of an adventure , then NZ is great, but in terms of actual trail riding in national parks, it is limited. That's a fact. Not here to throw insults.
    Watercat, ETZ, Sfcootz and 4 others like this.
  15. Sfcootz

Sfcootz McRibbed for her pleasure Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The vistas in NZ are sublime. When I rode past lake pukaki I almost snapped my neck marvelling at its glorious colour.
    Mc107, EVLED, glitch_oz and 1 other person like this.
  16. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    I couldn't agree with you more mate and after all that was what the OP was asking about so it's fair comment as far as I am concerned. For me New Zealand IS all about great gravel (and sealed) roads, a few more challenging tracks and great vistas, all accessible with good accommodation options, nice food, clean water etc etc. Its not the Arizona desert nor is it the BAM road and sure its not everyone's idea of an adventure. That's fine by me, I don't care how you want to label it, I like it just the way it is.
    young1, Ducatijim, glitch_oz and 2 others like this.
  17. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would move to NZ just for those little jetboats the zoom down rivers

18. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...and thanks God it is!
    One of the most endearing NZ traits!
    I can actually enjoy my bush walking there, too.
  19. ETZ

ETZ Gary

Oddometer:
  20. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow @ETZ, how are you on other ethnicities. Inclusive much? Or just jaded in the tourism industry?