The World Has Gone Nuts And So Have I

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by cheeseheadmike, Jul 10, 2020.

1. cheeseheadmike

cheeseheadmike Teenager in an AARP body

Oddometer:
    As I can see the retirement light at the end of the career tunnel, I am starting a project to keep me from being that old guy that sits on his front porch and yells at everybody. I am pondering how to mate this Suzuki GS 550 in kit form,
    [​IMG]

To this Italian Lambordini LD 315 Diesel.
    [​IMG]

Should be an adventure.
    YamaGeek, mamboman, beRto. and 17 others like this.
  2. cheeseheadmike

Oddometer:
    So, I am this far along.
    [​IMG]
    Like doing a marble statue, plan is to remove everything that doesn’t look like a gearbox, then TIG weld plates over all the open places. Will it work? Others have done it and Outhouse Engineering, where our motto is “Measure Once and Hope For the Best”, does have a pretty good track record.
    brstar, Xchemie, Roadracer_Al and 6 others like this.
  3. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    Were does the flux capacitor go for when it hits 80mph
    Foxed101 and cheeseheadmike like this.
  4. cheeseheadmike

Oddometer:
    Being powered by an industrial Diesel engine, 65mph is wishful thinking, let alone 80. This why I don’t have a flux capacitor on my Ural, either.
    brstar, Xchemie and 3legs like this.
  5. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    not sure about welding too much because of distortion... guess it would depend on where. maybe screws & bolts to hold the plates. RTV for a sealer. I did a tour in India, Nepal, and Bhutan on an Enfield and they packed the gearbox with grease instead of using oil. this was the older generation, not the unit construction model. did the whole trip without touching the gearbox
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  6. cheeseheadmike

Oddometer:
    It was early and I hadn’t my coffee yet.
    I’m not TIG welding plates, except for a small one on the end of the oil pan. I am TIG welding several pieces of 1” x 1/2” Aluminum rod that has been bored and threaded M6, where I will be mounting the plates. Jeez, I got up too early.
    vwnate1 and Ozarkroadrunner like this.
  7. Mr. Fixit

Mr. Fixit Reevaluating

Oddometer:
    As already mentioned, heat distortion is a thing. TIG each bit pretty far away from the last one, and let it all cool down in between. It will still warp.

If you are an experienced fabricator, ignore all advice here and do what you already know how to do...
    Z50R and vwnate1 like this.
  8. cheeseheadmike

Oddometer:
    Trained, yes. Experience, some.
    I was one semester from earning my welding certification when I had to drop out due to a forced career change. That was almost 25 years ago. TIG and MIG were my strong suits. Oxy-acetylene, I’m passable. Stick depends on the day of the week and the time of day.
    I don’t regret that career change, though.
  9. Pressingonward

Pressingonward Looking forward to what is ahead

Oddometer:
    Interesting project...I'm in!
    vwnate1 likes this.
  10. cheeseheadmike

Oddometer:
    So, employment is still a thing, as is home maintenance. I have also learned some time ago, that walking away from something for awhile and thinking things through SOMETIMES keeps from having to do things over. And over. And over. Spoiling grandkids is very important, too. Now endeth the lesson.
    Progress did occur. The tranny was successfully separated from the crankcase and set into the frame for measuring.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kind of obvious that frame mods will be needed. I stupidly lifted the engine up on the bench myself to remove what stock parts won’t be used; muffler, fuel tank, air box. I took the blower cover off to remove the fuel tank studs.
    [​IMG]

Of course, there was just enough fuel in the lines that I got to wear Eau du Pewee most of the day. And a wrench slipped, there by dragging a knuckle across a rusty flywheel fin.
    Mr. Fixit, vwnate1, Foxed101 and 5 others like this.
  11. huub

huub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice project! ( and nice solex too :-) )
    I started converting a enfield bullet to diesel power long ago , but never saw the end of it due to registration issues.
    you might have a look at the kipor/punsun diesel V twins, they are hardy bigger than the singles , and with 20 HP they have pretty usable power for a bike.

having said that , as solex owner brute power is probably not high on your priority list...
    YamaGeek and cheeseheadmike like this.
  12. cheeseheadmike

Oddometer:
    Re:Solex. You get it . I did almost 10 miles on the yellow Solex yesterday. As an ex-long distance cyclist, I know full well about a sore behind, but jeez, that was just awful.

There is a probability of a V-twin at a later date if this layout is successful. I doubt I will get a free V-twin like a I got a free Lambordini, butchaneverknow.
    Astronaut Jones and vwnate1 like this.
  13. cheeseheadmike

Oddometer:
    Not much happened. Still gainfully employed and working in Colorado this week. That said, stuff showed up at the house. Now have complete handle bar controls, both clutch and chain covers for the transmission, and a flywheel puller I ended up not needing. Yet.

One Suzuki GS550L question, though. Anyone know the length of the 6mm clutch actuator pin that goes between the main shaft and the chain cover? Mine was missing. A new one is like $11.59 + $10.00 shipping, a used one from flea bay is double that. I have 200mm of 6mm HSS drill stock on hand and several RA grinders. Seems like a no brainer to make my own. It’s not like it’s under warranty.
  14. cheeseheadmike

Oddometer:
    So, stuff happened. Not much, but it did happen.
    Got the engine down off the bench and in front of the frame for inspiration and to have my former fabricator help me figure out how I am going to fit a square peg in a round hole. The engine sure weighs a lot less without the muffler.
    [​IMG]

Kinda, sorta finished up the handlebar controls. At least this looks like progress.
    [​IMG]
    vwnate1 and nuggets like this.
  15. YamaGeek

YamaGeek Skeletor sparklemuffin.

Oddometer:
    You know that Diesel is about the same HP overall as the Predator 212cc 6.5 HP gasoline engine, and someone in ADV has already converted a KZ440 over to a Predator 212 with a Comet CVT. His bike, even with the governor disconnected was not much faster than about 45 to 50 mph. With your 550 transmission you should work out the overall gear spread, as the Comet CVT has a + 300% increase in gearing as it changes from low to high variable 'gearing'. Most motorcycle transmissions are about 250~270% increase in ratios

I would think the CVT would be a better and more easier conversion compared with the sliced up transmission.
    mamboman likes this.
  16. cheeseheadmike

Oddometer:
    Yes, all valid points, but consider this. I get to play with all my metal fabbing tools, my left foot will have something to do, my former minion and I get to drink beer in my garage while I tell him to keep his top chopping mitts off my DeSoto and I just have do things differently.

Seriously, though, I looked into the Comet. Reviews I’ve seen from the crowd at the diesel bikes forums are mixed as the quality can be a crapshoot. Many diesel guys do use them but a tranny seems to be the better choice for a low revving stinker. As far as top end goes, I own a Ural and two Solexes.
  17. YamaGeek

Oddometer:
    Yeah I owned a black mid 1960's VeloSolex 3800. Was a lot of fun but the rarity of the 20X2.25 Michelin friction tires made it a problem to resole. I fixed that by relacing the hubs with 24X1.75 rims so I could use common bicycle tires. The 24" MTB tires at the time from Chen-Sheng were made with a wide enough solid strip of rubber down the center that the friction of the driver wheel worked fine and I could unload the friction roller pressure on the tire and increase the gas mileage and speed a smidge.

I also hand built my own friction drive motor assisted bike with an old Italian built McCullough ProScaper 30 cc weedeater and an old Nishiki MTB It does almost 24mph and is geared low enough to maintain 15 mph on a 5% grade. Friction wheel is a 3" worn holesaw with spots of hardfacing welding rod to take the wear of the tire and bits of gravel it brings up. I get over 185 mpg.

green-citi#2.jpg

Urals? Yeah It's far too much cash for their unremarkable past
    Pezz_gs, gmk999, vwnate1 and 3 others like this.
  18. cheeseheadmike

Oddometer:
    Oh, man. I have a 32cc Ryobi leaf blower motor and some bicycles doing nothing. No no, stay on task.

Treatland.tv has turned out to be a decent place for Solex parts. They sometimes run sales. I got four new tires and tubes for less than two tires from France. Tho, I do like your idea with the 24” tires.

As far as Urals go, never ever buy new.
    vwnate1 and YamaGeek like this.
  19. Ozarkroadrunner

Ozarkroadrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A few years ago a guy in Louisiana was putting big Briggs singles in aftermarket Sportster rigid frames. I think the motors were 11hp and more with additional modifications. Using a CVT he claimed they would run 80 mph. I like unusual motor swaps so I'm anxious to see how it works for your project.
    vwnate1, cheeseheadmike and YamaGeek like this.
  20. YamaGeek

Oddometer:
    I have one of those old 1950's 12 hp Briggs with a ginormous gear reduction. It's all cast iron and probably pushing over 600cc displacement. I'd guess it weighs close to 200# if not more.

It's also a beast to pull rope start, old British single technique pull start is to just rotate past TDC on compression with the choke on and throttle on low and pull like a MF'er with both hands and hope the rope stays in the start sheave slot. There's no way I could see this being practical in motorcycle use. but there's some temptation.