The World Has Gone Nuts And So Have I

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by cheeseheadmike, Jul 10, 2020.

1. cheeseheadmike

cheeseheadmike Teenager in an AARP body

Oddometer:
    Pretty much how you start a diesel but the trick is not to yank but to use a steady pull once you hit TDC. I had another minion who couldn’t get a rope start diesel to run to save his life. Guy was maybe 125 soaking wet and just didn’t have the OOMPH to pull the rope. Couldn’t grasp the concept of TDC, either. He’d try to yank and the handle would just get pulled out of his hands. Myself, or one of the other guys would wander over and get the engine running,

I can just use the key on this one. ;)
    YamaGeek and Ozarkroadrunner like this.
  2. cheeseheadmike

Oddometer:
    Things are kinda sorta on the back burner for a couple of weeks. Issues with my DeSoto to be sorted and my fab guy is on vacation for a bit. Did make it start looking like a motorcycle, though.
    [​IMG]

Those tires, though... To quote Gene Shepard, “They’re round and were once made of rubber”.
    YamaGeek and Ozarkroadrunner like this.
  3. cheeseheadmike

Oddometer:
    The antique car is being a pain in the butt, the steel for the bike was delayed three weeks, and I spent two weeks on the road for work. Looks like I will be gone next week, too. John Lennon said, “Life happens when you’ve made other plans”. At least I am on vacation the week after next.
  4. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    Looks like a fun project! In. Where's the waiter, I need a drink.
  5. cheeseheadmike

Oddometer:
    Spent the last three weeks on the road. Looks like that until mid-November. DeSoto got an FU for the rest of the year. On the plus side, got my fab guy over and he is bending some ‘cut to fit’ tubes in between real jobs. Some stuff got done, too. Not much and it would have taken a lot less time doing what I was doing with my head out of my ass.
    [​IMG]

I scored the headlight last week at a swap meet. I have no idea what it came off of but it had a 5 3/4” 6 volt headlamp and a built in speedo that was made in Italy. The speedo had gone to gauge heaven, so I replaced it with a voltmeter. It’s a panel voltmeter, so who knows how long it will last.
    [​IMG]

I also scored a Suzuki speedo and an MX gas tank. Got the tank for a tenner, which was a lot better than the $175 a vendor was asking for a beat up GS550L tank. The tank is also a bit longer than stock so I’m going to lose the king and queen seat (breaks my heart) and go with a cafe seat.

So, when this thing is done, it will look like a chopped off road coffee getter that stinks.
  6. cheeseheadmike

Oddometer:
    Two mysteries solved on this Sunday afternoon. The fuel tank is Kawasaki. Green color should have told me all I needed to know. Headlight is off a Harley Sprint, otherwise known as an Aermacchi. That’s something, I guess.
    YamaGeek likes this.
  7. cheeseheadmike

Oddometer:
    Productive weekend. Though the pic is a mock up, I did get the frame modified enough to get the tank bolted into place.
    [​IMG]

The transition between the tank and the seat isn’t as bad as it looks. The seat was just set on the frame and not latched into place. I’m not sold on the seat but SWMBO, who doesn’t like to ride 2 up, wants to try it. As it’s the stock seat, I don’t have to do any mods. So it will stay. For now.

I do have a decent cafe’ seat and frame hoop waiting in the wings, just in case.
  8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Old Idiot who still rides

Oddometer:
    Looks like fun to me ! .

FWIW, my son was a lawnmower Mechanic in the early 2000's and told me to avoid anything made by briggs due to cheap plastic parts that fail often and unrelated to actual use .
    cheeseheadmike and YamaGeek like this.
  9. YamaGeek

YamaGeek Skeletor sparklemuffin.

Oddometer:
    Those old Ryobi 2 strokes are not bad engines, reed valve like the McCollough and can pull some torque at low RPMs, but the length of the crankshaft, ( the weedeater version 745R..) and the trouble of interfacing them with a gear system makes them more amenable to direct drive friction rollers, ( freestyle bicycle pegs in steel, start with 1"~1.125" diameters...) with a scissors lift to "clutch" the engine to the tire. Run 25:1 gas to oil if you do take the fan cooled shrouding off. Little engines make big heat and need their cooling fans.

I presently have a project involving a Honda GX31 tiller engine and a X7 3:1 pocketbike transmission and a bicycle. Gearing is going to be a challenge.
    caseywheels and cheeseheadmike like this.
  10. cheeseheadmike

Oddometer:
    Being in the railroad industry, the Briggs I/C engines were pretty bullet proof. It was the end users that were the problem.

Finally got a week off the road but time was taken getting the heating system in the garage up to snuff for the winter months. I now know more about radiant floor heating systems than I ever wanted to. But it will now comfortable in the man cave. Other time was spent fielding phone calls from staff and customers. Evenings were spent wiring up the four lane slot car track in the basement.
    I always take the week of Thanksmas off and as there will be no entertaining or VRBO this year, I will be getting stuff done. Most likely wiring.
    vwnate1 and Roadracer_Al like this.
  11. Roadracer_Al

Oddometer:
    You had me at 4 lane slot car track. What scale?
  12. cheeseheadmike

Oddometer:
    HO. 4’ x 8’. Two 90* curves, two 180* curves, and one 270* curve known as the door knob. Down to the electrical and minor troubleshooting.
    [​IMG]
    Ozarkroadrunner and vwnate1 like this.
  13. Roadracer_Al

Oddometer:
    Nice. As a kid I spent countless ours messing around with Aurora & AFX slot cars.
    cheeseheadmike likes this.
  14. vwnate1

Oddometer:
    I like the RC track, it brings back memories of 1964 .

I'm guessing the quality of Briggs engines depends on the size ? .

I don't imagine rail service includes many tiny lawnmower engines .

I managed not to subscribe last time, I think that's fixed now .
  15. cheeseheadmike

Oddometer:
    The Briggs quality used to depend on their food chain. Lawnmower engines were on the bottom, the old I/C flathead industrial engines were near the stratosphere as far as quality was concerned. The ovh Vanguards were pretty good if you didn't scrimp on PM. Then greed happened.
    As far as tiny engines in the rail industry, many rail drills, tie drills, and tampers use little Stihl or Honda engines.
  16. vwnate1

Oddometer:
    See ;

That's what I was talking about ~ in the early 1960's I could find old W1 cast iron flathead Briggs engines and easily get them running and abuse the snot out of them .

My so told me of many plastic parts (?! CAM GEARS ?!) that made the later ones unreliable .

True, the end user if almost always at fault but there are a few engines out there that take a beating and keep on running .
  17. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    the Vanguards were/are(?) made by Dihatsu (now owned by Toyota). they are the oldest engine maker in Japan. I have a 5 year old 23hp V on my hovercraft & it is MIJ
    vwnate1 and Fast Idle like this.
  18. cheeseheadmike

Oddometer:
    Little bit more being done. Working on the wiring schematic and where all the electrical stuff is going to mount. The diesel has its own electrical system; starter, alternator, reg/rec, along with its own idiot lights. All that's being powered from tapping into the 'Run' wire is lights and a horn through a fuse box. I'm going to run all LEDs. Total amp draw on the LEDs is about 1 amp, give or take a few milliamps. Horn is 1.5 amp. The electrical system output on the diesel could be either 12 amp or 30 amp. I'm going to assume it's 12 just because I know my employer would never pay extra for an upgrade. I could tell you some stories... 12 amp should be more than enough as I'm not running an ignition system and an electric injection pump.
    vwnate1 likes this.
  19. cheeseheadmike

Oddometer:
    There are working lights all the way around. Feels like I accomplished something.
    [​IMG]
  20. vwnate1

Oddometer:
    I like that 'A' Model Ford taillight .

Some years back I wanted to ditch the FUGLY taillight on my 1994 Ural Tourist 650 Solo and looked at these then went with a 1933 Ford taillight .

There are many different vintage lamps out there for very little $, this one has LED's, even better and safer .
    YamaGeek likes this.