The World Has Gone Nuts And So Have I

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by cheeseheadmike, Jul 10, 2020.

1. cheeseheadmike

cheeseheadmike Teenager in an AARP body

Oddometer:
    I had an honest to goodness 1930 Model A tail light sitting on a garage shelf for the longest time. It would have been perfect for this project but I gave it to a co-worker who was building a hot rod.

Merry Christmas all.
  2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Old Idiot who still rides

Oddometer:
    Good deal ;

I have quite a bit of that sort of thing just sitting, I began collecting junk in the early 1960's and haven't quit yet .

I need to get rid of most of it else my son will take it all to the dump when I croak ~ he cares not a whit for old things .
  3. cheeseheadmike

Oddometer:
    It's always sumpthin'. Cleaned up and loomed all the wiring so it looks purty and the left turn signal quit working. Most likely a bad connection.

It also looks like I will have some grandson help on this project come spring. They both were pretty impressed that grandpa knows how to do things.
    vwnate1 likes this.
  4. cheeseheadmike

Oddometer:
    Been a couple of months. My employer is trying to wring everything out of me they can before I call it a career at the end of October. Last year, I covered 30K miles with the company car and 29K via American Airlines. That was an easy year. This year, I am already at 16K on AA and maybe 4K behind the wheel.

I ended up buying my own tubing bender after waiting nine months for the ones that were two weeks out. Kinda tough bending one inch tube when you’re a skinny old fart. Everything is just mocked up for the time being, waiting for Plan B to materialize. Plan A, using the Suzuki 6 speed transmission crashed and burned a fiery death. Seems I used the dimensional chart for the Lambordini engine without electric start. That lil’ old Bosch starter on the stinker takes up a lot of room.

Plan B is for a CVT, temporarily, unless I like it. Plan B 2.0, going hydrostatic, died on both the drawing board and calculator. With just 6.5 hp to play with, my mower would probably be faster. Dollars per MPH would be sucky, too.

So, that’s where it’s at.
    Honda-50 and vwnate1 like this.
  5. Tanshanomi

Tanshanomi Your Favorite Uncle Supporter

Oddometer:
    cheeseheadmike and scot_douglas like this.
  6. vwnate1

Oddometer:
    We used to have Hydrostatic Drive street sweepers, what a PIA they were ~ always very jerky off a dead stop .

I await seeing how you go with this .
  7. mamboman

mamboman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I seriously considered buying a factory-built Enfield diesel when I was in India, but the only one I found was in need of a lot a work and the seller had lost the ownership booklet. Video about it here (begins at the 44 minute mark)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7RwdQiPfOc&t=2640s

diesel1.jpg
    vwnate1 likes this.
  8. vwnate1

Oddometer:
    I'da bought that for the right price .

I worked with a Machinist from India who had a very profitable side line buying up machine shops at auction and shipping them to India, he offered to import me a brandy new Enfield Diesel Moto for about $3K delivered , I wonder if I should have done that .
    YamaGeek and mamboman like this.
  9. mamboman

mamboman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    He wanted 20,000 Indian rupees (worth about US$430 in 2010), a fair price I guess. But he didnt have the ownership booklet and even if he did, it takes between 6 weeks and 6 months to get export permission. Then hundreds more to restore it, and thousands more get it shipped home. I guess the money would have been ok, I just didnt have the time, and 6 and a half horsepower didnt get me that excited. I would end up replacing the Greaves Cotton diesel with something else. So, I figured, better to buy an old non-running petrol Enfield and fit my own diesel. But doing that would also have required a ton of work and expense as well. If I had a year to spare, I would have done all that in India, and it would have been a great project!
    vwnate1 likes this.
  10. cheeseheadmike

Oddometer:
    The CVT showed up Friday.
    [​IMG]

In keeping with the 'If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any' theme. There are three different bolt patterns on the crankcase to mount all sorts of adapters, including CVTs. Except for this CVT. Nothing that can't be overcome, just another facepalm moment.
    vwnate1, YamaGeek and mamboman like this.
  11. YamaGeek

YamaGeek Skeletor sparklemuffin.

Oddometer:
    Just remember to deep gear the final chain drive. the CVT overdrives at high ratio.
    vwnate1 likes this.
  12. cheeseheadmike

Oddometer:
    Ha ha, made you fit, you bast**d.
    [​IMG]

The above was not without drama. What's the saying, "Every 20 minute project is just one broken bolt from a three day ordeal". In this case, it was a broken pilot drill bit. Drilled two holes no problem. Running the bit down in the drill press, using lube, have good indication of feed and speed, then no chips and SNAP. Followed by @#%*&@!!!!. Got another pilot bit and finished the last hole. It took a bit of time with a Dremel and carbide bit to hog out the broken bit and whatever snapped it. In keeping with Murphy, this was the only hole that didn't line up. That's what rat tail files are for, though.

So, here is where I'm at with the CVT. This may not work out as hoped for.
    [​IMG]

The small sprocket should be inboard of the driven pulley. If I put it inboard and I want to align the CVT, the driver will be on the floor because there isn't enough crankshaft. Plan B v3.146 may be losing the plate and running the jack shaft through two pillow blocks and a different belt.

In other news, started slicing and dicing some more on the frame to fit the new cradle tubes. Found out I was out of argon, so done there for awhile.
    [​IMG]

I would also like to report that there is now a rebuilt and fully functioning front brake.
  13. cheeseheadmike

Oddometer:
    CVT drives shouldn't cause so much brain damage. That said, I think I got it.
    [​IMG]

I have this set up with a 10 tooth #50 front sprocket while using the Suzukis' 47 cog in the back for a 4.70:1 final drive. Don't know how that's going work out speedwise but I should be able to climb a tree.

Anybody need any Suzuki GS550 tranny bits?
  14. vwnate1

Oddometer:
    No but I'd like to see more of your DeSoto.....
  15. cheeseheadmike

Oddometer:
    How's this, Nate?
    [​IMG]
  16. vwnate1

Oddometer:
    *Perfect* except it's in your driveway instead of mine...

I was hoping it'd be a coupe, I never see Keller era coupes anymore .
    cheeseheadmike likes this.
  17. cheeseheadmike

Oddometer:
    The DeSoto and I didn’t have a good time last year. The charging system packed it in, the automatic choke was acting up, there was a cracked elbow on the oil filter plumbing, and the semi automatic transmission kept popping out of low range. The radio did work, though.
    Replaced the generator with a 6v positive ground alternator. The choke actuator had a broken spring but I had a spare actuator, so swapped it out and will replace the spring in the old one. The cracked elbow was an all day affair that required removable of the starter that, apparently, wasn’t meant to be pulled while the engine was in the car. Two minutes to change out the elbow. The transmission problem turned out to be a very worn out gearshift bell crank. I have a Mopar part number book and was able to find an NOS bell crank on EBay. Shifts great now AND no longer jumps out of low range.
    But, now, the radio no longer works. Either a tube or a cap.
    scot_douglas and vwnate1 like this.
  18. vwnate1

Oddometer:
    Ouch ~

Oldies are always fun, something to do ~ I have vintage Mercedes W123 Diesels and like all German cars even when they're fine they still need touching, as these are my daily drivers I always have something to do .

Of late I've been ruminating how great the internet is for finding parts and advice for those jobs I'm not really sharp on .
    cheeseheadmike likes this.
  19. vwnate1

Oddometer:
    I forgot to ask :

Are you running a vibrator or transistorized replacement ? .

The vibrators can be opened up and the contact points therin cleaned to work for many more years....

I don't envy you re capping the whole radio as I'm not handy with the soldering gun .
  20. cheeseheadmike

Oddometer:
    The radio is original to the car, so a vibrator. Recapping won't be too big of a deal for me, but as I have an IPod loaded with old radio shows, heavy on scifi, and a Bluetooth speaker, the radio will be a retirement project next winter.
    mamboman and vwnate1 like this.