The World Has Gone Nuts And So Have I

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by cheeseheadmike, Jul 10, 2020.

1. vwnate1

vwnate1 Old Idiot who still rides

Oddometer:
    Cool ~ long long ago there were two AM news stations in Los Angeles and the CBS one (KNX 1070) played vintage CBS 30 minute radio shows every night for an hour .

I began listening in....?1973? and it lasted until they stopped playing them, I was working the swing shift at the time and always had my radio on to listen .

Good times .

There's a guy in Florida who sells transistorized 'vibrators' that never quit and have better voltage control to boot, you'll only iss hearing the slight hum as the tubes warm up .
  2. YamaGeek

YamaGeek Skeletor sparklemuffin.

Oddometer:
    My '67 Ducati has it's original tail-light and it's more of a pinkish Mauve color and with an 6500 Kelvin LED taillight inside it's housing it's darn near reddish periwinkle in color. I kinda like the sparkly facet look that LED brake/tail-lights give a vintage red Fresnel lens.
    vwnate1 and mamboman like this.
  3. vwnate1

Oddometer:

91 years since that taillight was designed, that's gotta be some kind of engineering record .
  4. Tanshanomi

Tanshanomi Your Favorite Uncle Supporter

Oddometer:
    Be aware that combining retrofit LEDs and Fresnel lenses originally designed for an incandescent bulb is very problematic. I work for a major vehicle lighting manufacturer, and the testing we've done shows that there is almost always a number of "dead zones" at certain angles where the effective light dispersion is very, very poor. A Fresnel lens is engineered to distribute light from a single, very specific origin—the filament at the center of an incandescent bulb. Retrofit bulbs usually have a number of LEDs spread out over a wider area. Not only that, but the individual diodes have very directional output. Retrofit LED bulbs rarely result in a DOT compliant light pattern generally, but Fresnel facets just make it worse.
    Ozarkroadrunner, JagLite and vwnate1 like this.
  5. vwnate1

Oddometer:
    Thank you for this ! .

I had noticed the poor output of light and wondered .

My brother found an LED supplier that ads a single lens to the ti of each #1157 taillight bulb, that seems to rectify it .
    JagLite likes this.
  6. Tanshanomi

Tanshanomi Your Favorite Uncle Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's a test I did a while back with a single high-output LED behind an existing incandescent lens that's been around since the '50s. (It's interchangeable with the CEV tail light on old Moto Guzzis and Aermacchis.) We positioned a high-output surface-mount red diode at the same spot within the housing as the original incandescent filament. The resulting light output directly behind the lens was phenomenal. More than 10-15° off-axis, however, and the output was out of compliance, and just kept getting dimmer the further to the side you went.

Untitled-1.jpg Untitled-2.jpg
  7. YamaGeek

YamaGeek Skeletor sparklemuffin.

Oddometer:
    I'm using the 1157 corncob style and they are working sufficiently well enough.

Generally the reflector should be retained in the light housing. My bulbs are 5050 series SMD about 30 per bulb and they are dispersed radially and as a small starburst pattern on the end and have similar to incandescent lamp radiance patterns but much brighter.

If anything the old incandescent bulbs are so dim at idle that it is hard to see in daylight. I used to get warnings from LEO's when I rode this bike in 1973, about it's dim lighting at stoplights.
    JagLite, vwnate1 and Tanshanomi like this.
  8. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    if you feel truly adventurous you can always try to replicate the original part
    JagLite likes this.
  9. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    for your radio....

https://antiqueradios.com/forums/index.php

theres a lot of good guys there & can help source parts, etc. I've rebuilt a couple vintage radios. I also build tube powered guitar amps as a hobby
    JagLite, vwnate1 and cheeseheadmike like this.
  10. vwnate1

Oddometer:
    Yes ~ the overall amount of LED's on the taillight bulb makes a huge difference in how well the reflector works too .

An old tip : when faced with a rusty reflector, clean it up as best you can then spry paint it with glossy white paint ~ many goof and use silver paint that won't reflect the lumens nearly as well .
  11. cheeseheadmike

cheeseheadmike Teenager in an AARP body

Oddometer:
    It's been quite awhile since I posted anything about the Diesel Project. It's not dead, just in hibernation until fall. That's when the temps drop enough to be tolerable in the garage and I supposedly retire. 77 days to go, BTW, though my employer is trying hard to keep me on.

In the meantime, this fell into my lap. I present to you, the Bronda.
    [​IMG]
    Complete with spider webs, mouse turds, 20 year old gas in the tank, rust, and a gummy carb. If I wasn't being run hard, I could probably have it running and moving in a weekend. If I was retired, I could have it running and moving correctly in a week. That is, rebuilt brakes, forks, juice clutch, tires, chain, and electrical.

As I tell my wife, garage time or bar time, your choice.
  12. vwnate1

Oddometer:
    @mike ;

You have a wise wife ~ my ex actually complained she wished I was a drunk like all her girlfriends husbands because she thought I loved my Motocycles more than her .

I don't miss her one bit .

My Sweet OTOH, understands completely, I courted her in a clapped out 1959 Metropolitan Nash convertible, I took her to Canada and back in it .
    cheeseheadmike likes this.
  13. cheeseheadmike

Oddometer:
    Maybe I can get back to either one of these marvies soon. I've been traveling for work for the last 6 weeks and finally going to be able to hang local next week. It's also been too hot to spend much time in shop on the weekends. That said, I've been giving my Wrangler some needed attention. Replaced the rear main seal, oil pan and cats. Only problem I had was that the original oil pan developed a leak AFTER I did the RMS and cats. :(

Apparently, the rust was worse than I thought it was.
    [​IMG]
    vwnate1 likes this.
  14. vwnate1

Oddometer:
    OUCH ! .

I am sure there's a nice rust free original tank waiting for you some where in California or Arizona....
  15. cheeseheadmike

Oddometer:
    Amazon had a new pan and gasket for a tad over a hundred.
  16. vwnate1

Oddometer:
    As .long as it's not Chinesium.....
  17. cheeseheadmike

Oddometer:
    Taiwanisium, but I don’t think there’s much of a choice anymore.

My options in corn country are Autozone and NAPA. Autozone was cheaper but 10 days to 2 weeks for delivery. NAPA was 7 to 10 days but almost double the price.
  18. vwnate1

Oddometer:
    So ;

You'd not want an undamaged original American made one ? .
  19. cheeseheadmike

Oddometer:
    Too late, job’s done.

I thought about talking to the Jeep guy around the corner regarding a pan but he was out of town. Last time we met, he told me he had a complete take off cat system for an 05 LJ that I could have. After I dropped $1K on the new cats.
    vwnate1 likes this.
  20. vwnate1

Oddometer:
    Isn't that they way it always goes ? .

Here in Califnornia they're not allowed to sell used catalytic converters but you can cut them off parked cars and SELL them to junkyards..... crazy .

When I ran a junkyard I had plenty of good low mileage cats no one wanted .
    cheeseheadmike likes this.