The world needs some gravel bikes

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DesertPilot, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Nomadmax

Nomadmax Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have two gravel bikes. A Super Glide and Road King.

2003-07 AK48 Start of Dalton Hwy.JPG

2003-07 AK62 Dirty Superglide at Artic Circle 2.JPG

2003-07 AK63 Superglide next to Arctic Circle sign.JPG

20151001_143558.jpg
    Dracula, lvscrvs, Traxx and 5 others like this.
  2. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pics of powerslides, jumps and wheelies please.
    Webman, Nomadmax and ChopperCharles like this.
  3. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Double-dog dare.

Charles.
    Nomadmax likes this.
  4. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's all great fun until someone loses an air cleaner cover? :D
  6. ScottFree

ScottFree Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Then it’s even greater fun! If a part falls off, that means you didn’t need it anyway!
    DesertPilot, Webman and Traxx like this.
  7. ScottFree

Oddometer:
    Every bike I’ve ever owned has ended up being a “gravel bike”:

9F34418C-4879-4868-9EF7-4F46FDC0D648.jpeg

‘Cause you can never trust the highway department.

(Last August, between Craig, CO, and the Wyoming line.)
  8. ScottFree

Oddometer:
    My other current gravel bike:

7C4FE30D-58FC-4B59-AF5F-0EB9A24BA5DE.jpeg

2018 Royal Enfield Himalayan. I researched this model by riding out to Montana back in August and renting one for three days of riding around the Gravelly Mountains on, well, gravel, and a bit o’ mud. I had a splendid time and so bought a very lightly-used specimen when I got back. The Himalayan is hopelessly underpowered for highway riding (24 horsepower, top speed of maybe 74 mph with my fat patootie on the seat), but an absolute ball on gravel and dirt roads.
    9Realms, Guvment mule, Traxx and 3 others like this.
  9. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    The quest for the Perfect Gravel Bike -- low center of gravity, decent suspension travel, adequate touring capability, preferably a twin -- continues. Though some of my less-imaginative friends believe it has continued too far :D

IMG_2666.x25r60.jpg
  10. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    Really nice. Tell me about it. I've been wanting one since the commercial for it came out with Ewen. I like it, but I don't like the display.

11. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know what you mean about that display. My first reaction on learning about it, back whenI was reading reviews, was, "A TFT display? A machine ike that should have big round mechanical dials, the way our ancestors built instrument panels! And if they always give the wrong readings, so much the better!" But it's some nice work, and it's growing on me. If all goes as planned, I hope to get in a first long ride today. I'll post some impressions once I have anything useful to say.. to the extent that members of my tribe ever have anything useful to say... :D
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  12. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay. I didn’t want that before I saw the video. Now I do. Thanks SO much. Where am I going to find that kind of money!?

Charles.
    Webman likes this.
  13. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    There's something odd about the proportions of the front end. Makes the front wheel look too small (but it's 19").
  14. ScottFree

Oddometer:
    I think it looks “small” because instead of the canonical “ADV bike” beak over 19” front wheel with its own fender, this bike just has a high-mounted fender, like a dirt bike. So we expect a 21” dirt bike wheel there. Ever seen a KLR or DR converted to supermoto use? Looks much the same; the combination of “dirt bike” fender and “street bike” wheel looks wrong. Somehow the hugger fender on the ADV front wheel fixes this.

Friend of mine used to have a Buell Ulysses. Same odd appearance—it had a high-mounted dirt bike style fender above a 17” wheel (which did have the back half of a hugger fender, but that was tucked out of sight behind the fork tubes). Always looked a bit weird.
  15. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Of course it looks oddly proportioned! It's a Moto Guzzi, imported from the Mandello Del Lario dimension. The laws of physics may be slightly different over there :D

Be this as it may, I'm beginning to understand what the designers were about. The 19" front tire was their compromise between full-on Dakar and, "If 17" is good enough for a Versys, Wee-Strom, or Multistrada, it's good enough for us." One could debate about a choice like this... for hours... If it's over beer and I don't have to buy, count me in :clap As far as that fender goes, I suspect that a considerable amount of though went into coming up with a design tp deal with dust. This would make great sense for Italy, which I recall is rather dry, and it should be a good call for the dry season here in California too. For the rainy season... um... a hugger fender may make its appearance on my bike someday. The high fender might well be a win for serious mud ('fango grave'), but that would be the subject for a new thread: 'The World May Some Mud Bikes, But I Don't' :D

It's passed the, "How is it on really bad roads?"' test with flying colors. The, "Well yes, but what about gravel, Dude?" test will have to wait until I've finished the running-in period... and added engine bars.
    Traxx likes this.
  16. avrz10

avrz10 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    F700gs is a nice choice. Lower, plenty of power for the road and not bad on gravel. I bought it for just this reason. I knew I was never going to be off-roading a 450 plus pound bike. That is for my dr. Nice readable bike that does well on gravel.