The WRONG Way Round.... on a Chopper!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwdoug, May 7, 2009.

1. pacman1

pacman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    THAT'S what you should ride around the world next! :deal
  2. rockjohn

rockjohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great Report, Doug will you make the 2010 smokeout.
  3. Stravoxylo

Stravoxylo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1000 on your route suggestion, from personal experience.

Might see you in Greece next year!
  4. rtwdoug

rtwdoug prominent underachiever Supporter

Oddometer:
    sure, go for it!
    back about 10 years ago, my friend (I'll call him Paul) and his girlfriend (I'll call her Tarra... as thats their real names anyhow, and its just easier to remember) were in agony because she had moved to new mexico, and he was missing his soul mate (Im gonna catch hell if he reads this :lol3)
    Well, she needed her stuff brought out to her, & as I had a big assed van, I was nominated. So we loaded all of her crap. Oops, I mean 'prized female posessions' and went west. As he wanted to spend some time playing cuddly-kissypoo, and I knew I didnt wanna watch, we stuck a trailer on the van & took a couple bikes with the intent of exploring the area. He took his 72 Shovel, & I took my 28 Indian. It was my daily rider for 2-3 years. I dont ride it much nowdays tho, but its always ready to go!
    Well, he wasnt really allowed out of her sight much, so I took off on my own. I probably put 800 miles in that week, mountains, ghost towns, gravel roads, etc. bike never missed a beat. We did get to go to tombstone together tho.
    heres some pics. Keep in mind these were taken with a 5.00 disposable camera, as back then a .5megapixel digital camera cost about 2700 bucks.

Oh, after we got home, he decided he couldnt take it anymore, packed up all his shit & moved to new mex.
    3 weeks later he called me to come help him move back.....

:rofl

[​IMG]

this was cause for pucker, as the bike has a band style rear brake like a gocart, & fades out after about 37 feet. The guys with the snazzy new bikes used to brag about ABS. hell, this bike had ABS 80 years ago. It wont lock up the brakes going down a mud hill.
    [​IMG]

and dhairpins in the rain... big fun!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. olebiker

olebiker Old buzzard bait

Oddometer:
    Lack of brakes is the reason us old farts wear thick boots :)
  6. nev11

nev11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What the hell is it about those old bikes that is so fantastic ?
    Brilliant RR Doug.
    Thanks
    nev
  7. Treadless

Treadless avoiding gravity storms if at all possible Supporter

Oddometer:
    above the soil's surface on the left coast
    Pictures? :lurk
  8. LazyLion

LazyLion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you sure his camera works in the US? Seems all his photos are from far flung locations with multi-sylabic names featuring a plethora of consonents like zs, ks and xes while showing either far reaching plains that terminate with stratosphieric, snow covered mountain ranges. Or crowds of adoring fans (some, of the female variety in scant clothing) wishing to be seen with Doug.

Does Alabama have that?

(Spell check not included in the above statement and, yes, I know I can't spell fer shit.)
  9. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
  10. Panick

Panick shake, rattle & roll

Oddometer:
    Hi Doug,
    I would love to see that. I had a '56 KH myself long time ago.
    Bought it 100% original Dutch MP and chopped it. Sold it to a guy, who sold it to a guy in Valencia, Spain. Lost track... but who knows it's may be the one you bought:1drink
  11. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    Well let me finish up this ride Sorry for the delay, been a bit busy since I got home.

Oh, Ive been invited to be on the side stand up radio show tomorrow night, October 20th.
    www.sidestandup.com

I headed east from the coast into a blast furnace. 110 degrees & windy. Speed didnt seem to help it much, it was just very hot & dry. I now understand how those wildfires are hard to stop. Finally I started climbing into the Sierra Nevada mountains, & it cooled off a bit. I spent the night in Truckee, which is at the top of the Donner Pass, named for the Donner party of travellers who got stuck ere in the winter while travelling west in the late 1800's, & had to resort to cannibalism to survive. They shoulda had a couple of walmart checkout girls along, they could feed a group of 30 for a whole month.
    Next morning I got to Reno, but I didnt hang out. Funny story about Reno....
    Back in the late 80's, when the Dead tour finished in San Fran, me & my friend Ken came to Reno for the weekend. We met a couple girls, Mona & Holly. I ended up with Mona, & ken with Holly. they took us home, & we decided to hang out for a bit, as we had no place better to be. After about a week, me & ken decided that we had made the wrong choice, as he got along better with mona (who was a hippy chick, and I'm just not into the whole tree huggin mentality) and me & holly had become pretty good friends. She was more fun, loud, abrasive (in a good way) with a weird sense of humor.
    Well, wasnt much we could do about that now, you cant just go swappin girlfriends & expect them to go along with it, can ya?
    We came back to the house one day, & I went into the bedroom, where I was informed by Mona that I wasnt in that room anymore. It seems Holly & Mona had the same conversation, and they had traded us. With no regards or thoughts to our feelings, I might add!
    Ken & I had no choice to comply, & harmony ensued over the household. I hung out another month or so, & then got fiddle footed & had to go see what was over the next hill. I wasnt near as stable & grounded then, as I am now.
    I was back in Reno in 98, & ken & mona were still together. I have since lost track of all of them, but I hope they are still doing ok.
    Oh, on my 98 trip to Reno on my 64 sporty, I was in a movie with Dan Haggerty (remember Grizzly Adams?) well we ended up along side the road with a pile of Reno cops all over us.
    But thats a story for another time.........

Truckee, California
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

riding across Nevada on US 50, the Loneliest Road in America. Its a cool ride, but it does get a bit boring after awhile.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sand Mountain, near Fallon
    [​IMG]
    I got to where I was tired of stopping to take pics, so I just started taking them while I rode.
    [​IMG]
    old pony express/stage stop in the middle of nowhere
    [​IMG]
    One of my favorite towns along the route, Austin. Its an old mining town, on the side of a mountain. The International Bar is now owned by a Serbain guy. I freaked him out when I was able to talk to him about his hometown in Serbia. This place was built in the 1800's. the bar is huge, & brought in back when the silver rush was on. it was brought by ship to frisco, & hauled by a wagon train in pieces to Austin.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    Austin is below me, followed by a big dry valley
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Eureka, Nevada. only about 1/2 the buildings are in use now, its slowly dying. I spent a nite here, was absolutely nothing to do.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    as I got to Utah, the wind from the south got a bit brutal, hard & gusty, blowing dust and tumbleweeds across the road. I bet I dodged a hundred of those little bastards.
    It was a long hard day, leaning to the right.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I made it to Green River, & spent the night. Watching the news, they were calling for heavy snow just north of me in the morning, & should reach where I was by noon. Time to get an early start!
  13. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    Lookin forward to it Doug.

I keep expecting to see "Just give shim a chance" in your sig line hahahaha :lol3 :1drink
  14. riceburner30281

riceburner30281 misADVenturer

Oddometer:
    Fuck you and your fucking awesome ride report! (envy) :D
  15. mpanther

mpanther KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer:
    Hey Doug, why don't you take one of your road bikes and make it into an ADV off-road tourer, and take it down the TAT?

You got extra frames and lots of parts, why not a Harley ADV bike?
    (with High mount front fender, at least you would have one)

Best part? no one would want to know: "What bike number?"
  16. Demon666

Demon666 n00b

Oddometer:
    Awesome Doug! Well done! Thank you for the amazing RR and Fantastic Pictures etc, it's been a real pleasure to follow along (wasn't fussed on the whale consumption :(:, yes I'm a vego :D) but WOW what a great adventure! I'd love to do something similar one day and can't wait for your next RR. Thanks!!!
  17. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    I agree with you on US 50 across Nevada. A love / hate affair. But, I keep going back to it. :lol3
    Thanks for sharing Doug. Great report and pictures.
  18. NJEnduroBiker

NJEnduroBiker '13 Super Tenere

Oddometer:
    Definitely one of the best stories I've ever read. It would be a great story if someone just made it up. The fact that you lived it makes it even better:clap
  19. Ooopsie

Ooopsie The weather is here....

Oddometer:
    Doug, I heard your interview on SideStandUp, pretty cool but of course, your RR is exponentially more detail and can't do a 20 min show any justice at all.

I did like your idea of the tours. That would be awesome man. Keep in touch about that, I could do that next year if you wanna do one that timeframe. PM me if you want my contact to put in your lil red / black book.
  20. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Doug,

You were great on SSU last night (www.sidestandup.com). Those who didn't catch it can download or listen to the podcast.

Timmer