The WRONG Way Round.... on a Chopper!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwdoug, May 7, 2009.

1. wft

wft Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Minus 13 degrees F (Minus 25 degrees C) In Vladivostock right now. pretty cold :eek:)
  2. wft

wft Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the great ride pics & adventure mate I have got lots of fellow bikers dribblin & reading this
  3. rtwdoug

rtwdoug prominent underachiever Supporter

Oddometer:
    sorry for the delayed reply, been out of town. For shipping over the atlantic, I used Motorcycleservices.com
    Talk to Gail, she is very helpful, and will hook you up with Natalie, a travel agent that will book you & the bike on the same flight.
    I've used them twice, & never a problem.
    If your an AMA member, you'll save 50.00, which more than pays for the membership.

Hope that helps

Doug
  4. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    My friend Sinus, who lives in Vladi did a siberian snowmobile trip last winter, I'd like to try that sometime. But yeah, its pretty damn cold over there right now!

Doug
  5. rad_dad

rad_dad Cool Father

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Any advice wrt insurance both for my Harley and health for me?

I want to cross the arctic circle in three countries. I want to make the North Cape. Its a degree of Latitude further north than Prudhoe Bay/Dead Horse, AK.:evil
  6. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    for health insurance try World Nomads. I've never had a claim, but have heard good things about them.
    Bike insurance in europe (green card) went up 500% this year :eek1
    but you can get it thru Stefan at knopftours.com

I'm gonna get up to nordkapp one of these days

Doug
  7. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    I figured I needed to freshen up the panhead, after 26k miles RTW it was a bit tired, & was leakin pretty good. plus the distributor is completely worn out, & I have to pull the front head to replace that.

hard to believe that this stuff was all chrome before the trip. theres grease & gunk in every nook n cranny

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the bores look really good, I was expecting alot more wear on them

[​IMG]

well, I found out why the rear exhaust clamp would never tighten up enough to get rid of that pesky exhaust leak.....

[​IMG]
  8. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    Excellent report! :clap

Very unique.
  9. timk519

timk519 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to more RTW zen MC maintenance :wink:
  10. Ooopsie

Ooopsie The weather is here....

Oddometer:
    Doug, looks like the psuedo-ADV touring industry is getting underway.
    This is a "droople" site, done quite well. Droople is a good internet development toolset. It's all the rave at the colleges. Students can do amazing sites cheap since Droople is open domain (sorta Free).
    http://www.motodiscovery.com/

Looking forward to one of YOUR tour offerings. :bow
  11. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    pssst, thats DRUPAL :D

[I've used it for a couple webprojects myself, and I'm not even a student]
  12. olebiker

olebiker Old buzzard bait

Oddometer:
    Is that exhaust flange an insert?
  13. KimR

KimR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure I get your point. Skip and his company have been around for years. Used to be Pancho Villa Tours. If you only have a couple of weeks to play, they're not a bad option. If your point is that they're not Doug, you're right. But they're not holding themselves out that way.
  14. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    they have a very wide range of trips, & i'd say the prices are fair, as most include a bike.
    Most people have real lives & responsibilities & cant just take off for months. I think these kind of places are great, if you only get 2-3 weeks vacation a year, you dont have to spend all of it dickin around with logistics, someone else has taken care of all of that.
    Logistics, paperwork, & border bullshit are the biggest pain when travelling.
    I hate borders. I REALLY hate border guards.
    Especially in Mongolia. :lol3

I'm hopin to start doing balkan tours soon, maybe even this summer? Just gotta get a few extra bikes for rentals, & figure out all the logistics, paperwork & border bullshit! But, I think if I can do em sorta cheap, & have some older transalps or klr's or similar, & not do the classy restaurants & 5 star hotels, maybe it'll work out. If not, well, I'll just have a few extra bikes.

Doug
  15. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    that would make it too easy!
    I ordered a replacement, & dropped the head off today to have the old one whacked off & new one welded on. And havin the jugs bored +010 just to clean em up a bit.

Doug
  16. pakbaz

pakbaz n00b

Oddometer:
    I hope that you will! I'd be really happy to meet you (and maybe even ride a little bit together through Serbia, Bosnia, Croatia...).
    If you find some time to spend with us, you would find people from "Chopper Serbia" very friendly!

What bike number did you say!? :lol3
  17. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    Hi Pakbaz,
    I meant leading tours with other people. I spend alot of time in the Balkans riding around, & I love it there. I have many good friends in Serbia & Croatia, & altho I have only been thru a small part of Bosnia, I do plan to visit more of it soon. Im sure the people there will be just as cool as the rest of the area.

Doug
  18. obee1

obee1 riding is better

Oddometer:
    i'm hopin to start doing balkan tours soon, maybe even this summer? Just gotta get a few extra bikes for rentals, & figure out all the logistics, paperwork & border bullshit! But, I think if I can do em sorta cheap, & have some older transalps or klr's or similar, & not do the classy restaurants & 5 star hotels, maybe it'll work out. If not, well, I'll just have a few extra bikes.

Doug[/quote]

doug it'd be a real pleasure to have you guide a bike tour. i'm sure your voice would be hoarse from all the stories you'd be asked to tell once the days riding was done.
    you're a real compliment to this site, and your genuine appreciation of motorcycles in general is such a nice alternative to the typically parochial attitude lots of riders have towards a style or brand of bike.
    thanks again for a great RR
  19. RudyS2MT

RudyS2MT Rudy in MT

Oddometer:
    Helena, MT; mountains and dirt roads all around...
    Hi Doug!

After spending quite a lot of time following this ride report it was very cool to see your interviews in the HUBB videos, Achievable dreams!

They may not convince me to head off into the wilds of Russia and the Balkins but they do make even North American treks look like they are doable....

Thanks for sharing your travels Doug!!

Rudy in Montana (stop on by anytime!!)
  20. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    Roland from Hungary, who I met on my trip (he was on the cool old ironhead)
    works for a magazine in Hungary called Wild, & asked if he could put my story in the mag. He volunteered to do the translating, which is good, as my Hungarian is a bit rusty :lol3

Anyhow, I thought y'all might like to see them, this is the 1st 2, I guess they will do 6-8 in total.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]