The WunderLINQ, upgrade your Navigation system

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by regnock, May 29, 2018.

1. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    I won't preview my BMW ON article on the WunderLINQ but I have to say, with over 5500 miles of use, I love this product. I no longer use my NAV6 (carried as a back up only). Waiting anxiously for Scenic v2 and, hopefully, at some point, Guru Maps Pro to have full WunderLINQ support.
    FarmerKeith likes this.
  2. sgroover

sgroover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like Scenic is currently only iOS. Anyone heard if v2 will be in Android too?
  3. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Once they deliver v2 for iOS they are going to do an Android version.
  4. sgroover

sgroover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you... That will work. Would like to try it.

Sammy
  5. GrumpyOne

GrumpyOne Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've finally got a WunderLINQ on order.
    What's the best phone mount currently for a iPhone + sized phone?
    Looks like the Perfect Squeeze is no longer supported? Or at least the instructions on the site are gone.

-jw
  6. Tremblay

Tremblay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    not sure why the perfect squeeze wouldn't be supported. it's amps...
  7. Tremblay

Oddometer:
    @regnock planning on a run of the aluminum enclosures or was there not enough interest to pursue it?
    DocPFFP likes this.
  8. sodapop

sodapop Caffeinated

Oddometer:
    It looks like both parts are female-threaded?
  9. Tremblay

Oddometer:
    IIRC the AMPs holes on the bottom plate of the perfect squeeze go all the way through. You could use grub screws to secure. If you already have a Wunderlinq open up the enclosure and look at the backside of the front plate. You might be able to use traditional screws coming through the back of that plate up into the phone mount as well. I don't have either on hand, but this doesn't seem like an insurmountable problem.
  10. TN_Bear

TN_Bear n00b

Oddometer:
    Just bought a Wunderlinq and I am trying to find out the best fit for a phone mount. I have a Note 8 and the buttons are located in such a way that most holders contact either the power button on one side or the volume and/or the Bixby button on the other side. Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks.
  11. edzt

edzt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_0319.jpg

Polycarbonate case and quad lock stick on adapter, hasn’t budged in 600mls
  12. arr2

arr2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also use a Quad Lock on my Galaxy S10. But I bought the case from Quad Lock. The mount is molded into the case. Not sure if they make one for the Note series.
    I do have the stick on mount on an older S6 that has never failed.
    I do not off road this setup so I can advise about that.
  13. edzt

edzt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No at the moment they don't do a case for Notes
    The case is a Speck clear shockproof....best I've used
    Any case will work with the stick on as long as it's not silicone or rubber
  14. regnock

regnock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stay tuned :)
    Tremblay likes this.
  15. S-curvy

S-curvy In my dreams....

Oddometer:
    The WLQ looks like a great product! I have 2 Nav apps that seem like obvious candidates for compatibility: Rever and ViewRanger (by Augmentra). I suggest these because I have used Garmin products only out of necessity, but positively hate, hate, hate the Garmin interface and am routinely frustrated by their capitalization model for the maps themselves. My GS came with the Nav VI, which is pretty good, but now I’m seriously considering the WLQ.

Rever is a pretty new subscription service designed specifically for motorcycle tripping and claims to excel at route pre-planning, downloadable maps/mapping, and the ubiquitous social media crap.

ViewRanger has been around for years, specializes in offline use, is widely used by EU S&R teams, has a well functioning “buddy tracking” function, and has access to a great selection of maps. I use this for geocaching because it has a rich global selection of topo maps (wild lands).
  16. ontrip

ontrip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    REVER is useless compared with Scenic.
    Their ride planning section is weak with a 3 waypoint limit in the base format.

It is good for tracking one but very few actually post any routes. I have posted a few of my tracked routes. This is really for their benefit.

Seems many of the manufacturers are supporting them including BMW and Klim but so far I have been reluctant to get their subscription as I see no advantage over Scenic and just looks like a social aa like like eat sleep ride .
  17. S-curvy

S-curvy In my dreams....

Oddometer:
    GTK, thx for this. I haven’t used Rever other than the free version check-out tests I use ViewRanger for straight out mapping, particularly when there is no cell signal.

I will say that ViewRanger has a slick feature that allows one to point their camera at a feature like a mountain peak or lake or a bend in a river, and the app will identify the feature(s), thusly enabling one to figure out where they are on a paper map. I’ve only tried this when I had a cell signal, but it is very helpful, and ViewRanger’s maps are excellent and inexpensive or free (OpenCycle and OpenCity amongst others), and quality premium maps are available. I believe they do have social media features too.
  18. Ocho NA

Ocho NA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rever sounds good in concept but the app is terribly slow.
  19. GrumpyOne

GrumpyOne Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bump.

Got my WunderLINQ this week and trying to figure out phone mounting. Local dealer has a Perfect Squeeze, but I don’t see an elegant way to mount it...

-jw
  20. ontrip

ontrip Been here awhile

Oddometer: