The XL600 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Gregster, Jul 6, 2007.

1. dixda

dixda Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    A cool idea before camelbacks.
  2. SPEIRMOOR

SPEIRMOOR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok the strap is nothing I'll ever use so if anyone wants it they can have it.
  3. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    whoa! :eekers we're on page 1000 !
    dixda likes this.
  4. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    YUP YUP YUP

ive been waiting and watching closely i wondered is page 1000 would fall in line with post 20000, but were 17 posts short
    dixda likes this.
  5. gavair

gavair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hi guys, anyone know where one of these might be for sale?

Attached Files:

6. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been looking at parts fiche but cant figure out what cdi went with what harness. My 83 uses the old round plug. What years used the later rectangle style. I see the XR uses a different #CDI ? Different curve? Or non-emissions compliant or should I ask non-compliant emissions? :dunno:hmmmmm:loco
  7. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    my understanding of the XR's was a "slightly" higher limiter and slightly different curve, which would also make it non emissions compliant as you would need to re-tune the carbs for the new curve
  8. asparky92

asparky92 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I swapped my old round plug for the newer rectangular plug because of the scarcity of the old CDIs. I also didn’t want to pay the outrageous prices people were asking for the ‘83 OEM CDI that may or may not work. The newer CDI were readily available and not expensive.
  9. dixda

dixda Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good luck, unobtainium, anyone with a spare is hanging on to it... but you never know.
  10. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    yeah good luck on the "shovel" most were removed and tossed in the trash, the rest got broken, you might find one if you troll every country of ebay long enough, but youll have to be willing to simply pay for it and not look at the price

as for the CDI, if you can find a "bad" CDI you could easily make a harness adapter to go from the old to the new thus not hacking the harness
  11. asparky92

Oddometer:
    No hacking required. I unpinned the old plug and installed in the rectangular plug. It has been a few years but I believe a pin insertion/extractor came with the new plug making it easy. I remember the hardest part was figuring out the correct location for each wire.
  12. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is the info I was hoping for thanks!!
  13. asparky92

Oddometer:
    dixda likes this.
  14. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AWESOME!!!!! Your the besttesttest!

On edit: I noticed the pointing lines in image look color coded? Do you remember if they were correct to your bike's wiring colors? I ordered 2 right away. Did the later CDI perform any different?
  15. asparky92

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately it has been several years since I did the swap and I do not remember if they matched the wire colors.
    In my case, it did not change the bikes performance. The bike was hard to start and would not run properly and I eventually found that was ultimately due to low compression. I tried all the “easy” stuff first.
  16. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just looked at wires on my old harness and they do not match whats on the drawing. :(
    Oh well, I'll make it work one way or another. Thanks again. my order has been shipped.:nod
  17. RebelYell

RebelYell Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes a fuel/water bottle strap..sweet find there Op
  18. Natureboypnw

Natureboypnw n00b

Oddometer:
    Newbie wheel bearing replacer here...I tamped in my new rear wheel bearings, making sure they were straight and using the old bearings, a piece of wood, and a hammer to tap them in carefully. Things were looking good until I noticed the bearing spacer could still move around. I tamped a bit more, and now when I try to spin one bearing, it doesn't spin all that freely. My understanding is that the spacer is there because the bearings get clamped down on each other when everything is mounted and so, without the spacer, the bearings would start to cave in and fail. This makes me think that there should be some friction between the bearings and the spacer? Both bearings and the spacer should move together, but not very freely individually? I'm worried to make any more moves before getting some confirmation from someone who knows what they're doing.
  19. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    more often than not clearances are not "perfect" and you may have a slightly tight or slightly loose spacer, best thing i can tell you to do, is put the wheel on the bike, tighten it down and give it a spin and see how well it freewheels, if its binding back off the tightness a lil and se if it helps

i have 3 rear wheels for mine(and 5 fronts but those interchange with my xr250)...sand, street and pure dirt, all 3 wheels are slightly off in how the bearings sit, but once clamped and propperly torqued they all freewheel the same and all 3 have seen 80+mph

i also wonder how much of it is bearing tollerances by manufacturer....i just did some fronts on quad hubs and the new ones are a a smidge skinnier
  20. Natureboypnw

Natureboypnw n00b

Oddometer:
    Awesome, thanks a lot! I'll do just that. This community is so helpful, and a special shout out to sh0rtlife whose name I've seen over and over as I've read through this thread.