The XL600 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Gregster, Jul 6, 2007.

1. XRLated

XRLated Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Will do on all points.
  2. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    find a shop to do a gold zinc coating on the bolts, as thats what they were
    take a million pic's as you dissasemble then you have referances to put it back together if you get lost
    the ONLY issues youll run into is pulling the engine..its...a lil tricky and requires finesse, ive read laying the frame and engine on its side make it really easy..have not tested, but highly recomend you figure out how works best for you or youll shred paint on install
    if the carb boots are overly stiff(mine are not) wintergreen does wonders on softening them back up
    the airbox is pretty much the LAST thing out and first thing in
  3. XRLated

Oddometer:
    Thanks sh0rtlife!

I was wondering if there was anything specific about disassembling the XLR, like the airbox--great info!

I'd heard about the bike on its side trick-wonder what the factory rig looks like that gets the new engine into the new frame at Honda. Probably very trick bit of gear.
  4. XRLated

Oddometer:
    Liking this:

https://www.homemadetools.net/forum/motorcycle-engine-hoist-leveler-removal-intallation-31670

In addition to the XL600R, I also have two of it's RFVC-cousin GB500s on the restore to-do list as well as a fairly new XR650L that will at some time need engine work, so maybe--if for no reason other than the sheer volume of the same basic type of engine in wy world--maybe I'll try fabricating some similar contraption.

I don't have an automotive engine puller, but I do have an electric winch in order to lift stuff to and from my garage into my attic, so maybe I can make a rig that bolts to the engine mounts (or something like that), connect the rig to the winch, then winch up the engine, then roll the chassis away to the side out of the way of the suspended engine, the roll my workbench under the engine, and finally lower the engine onto the bench. And reverse the process to install the engine again when ready.

Seems workable?
  5. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    i seriously doubt youll get any type of rig into the frame...and even if you do i dont know of anything you would be able to mount it to

the thing is the engine is a VERY tight fit and you need to "clock" it and pull it out of the frame

id recomend simply dissasembling the bike while leaving the motor till next to last, leaving airbox, carbs and boots, and then you can pull the engine and then re-fit a few times till you understand and see what works best FOR YOU...the engine is NOT heavy by any means its the akward clocking that you need to do to get it out of the frame....not messing up new paint is probably going to be a challange unless you plan to powder coat or hard bake
    XRLated likes this.
  6. XRLated

Oddometer:
    Got it, thanks!
  7. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IIRC, Steve aka "mcma" stated to have a box/stand/ etc.. to the right side of bike & to have the same height as bottom of frame. I tried it on my xr600r and seemed to work pretty good. I did not have any thing that was ideal, and was in a hurry, so I used a bucket(5gal?) While leaning over frame, one arm over left of back bone & one arm over right of back bone, grab engine where ever and lift engine up a tad and transfer through the right frame opening onto the box/stand/bucket. When I do put back in, I'll reverse proceedure, but will use some black flexible poly pipe (lawn sprinkler stuff) and cut pieces to fit over frame & in between brackets. Knife split tube length wise & install on frame & tape up to prevent/keep from spinning, to the split opening and then engine might scratch.
    In the South this poly pipe is abundant but in North not so sure. If need be, go to a hardware and buy some 3/4" clear vinyl tubing/hose. Heck an old garden hose should work. Hope this helps.
  8. XRLated

Oddometer:
    That does help, thanks!
  9. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    lowes stocks the poly

and if the keep portland weird is where your at..then your local..real local

ive done the platform shimmy and it "helped" but wasnt ideal...i suspect the XR fitment is different....i know the xr250 the engine is in out EASY compared to the xl6, the "on its side" and lay the frame over the engine seems like the simplest as you are working with more grab points

you have to lift slightly then lift and clock the back up at a slight angle and then tilt..its a very weird motion due to the way it fits in the frame even without its mounts youve got something like 3/4 inch up travel availible and you have to raise the bottom by 1/2 inch to clear the mounts, thus the weird clock n tilt, ive had mine out a dozen times or so the first 2 was when i got the bike and took it to the bone for a full inspection, the second was to weld up the kickstand after it finished breaking off, the 3rrd was a re-seal 4th was a rebuild, after that ive just had it out for cleaning and some frame work
    XRLated likes this.
  10. XRLated

Oddometer:
    Just noticef "20 minutes west of Portland." Now I'm jealous. Where does that put you except a short ride to Browns Camp?

I'm in Milwaukie, recently relocated from Oregon City.

Howdy Neighbor. Love where I live but nevertheless wish I was closer to heaven like you are.
  11. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    screw browns...over populated, i roll out a lil further for diamond mill where your lucky to come across anyone all day long after a 1/2 mile out of camp

im not as close as youd think im in tigard.
  12. XRLated

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I'm drifting off topic, but--

@sh0rtlife, are you aware of any dirt riding closer to Portland (ideally, near Milwaukie!)? I had a (non-motorcycle-related) injury recently that has left me feeling a bit shaky on the bike. I'm hoping to find someplace a short ride from home to go practice my dirt skills.

Sorry for the thread drift!
  13. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    we wander off topic all the time...leedee or jones creek would be closer..ish

but i cant recomend diamond mill enough especialy if you need to re-train yourself and get comfortable....out there you can wander down old logging roads for days and get comfy in the saddle again
    XRLated likes this.
  14. XRLated

Oddometer:
    Diamond Mill sounds great. I definitely need logging roads for my current skill set and physical condition.

I'll check out those other two spots, too.

I'd also love to find a bike-friendly dirt patch near my house--Milwaukie is very paved, though, and doesn't seem particularly dual sport welcoming on vacant lots.
  15. masione

masione masione Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am about 40 minutes North of both of you on I-5 in SW Washington. I have a complete, non running 1987 XL 600R that I have been hanging onto for awhile...time to let go. I have slowly accumulated everything it needs on ebay and only lack a muffler. Anyone interested? Red, white and blue model with a choice, dentless spare original tank...
  16. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    due to your local...goooooood luck LOL, over here id tell you to just hit up the costco after hours or the mall, ive been known to shread both with anything from nitro rc's to random projects//even had a 3wheel "dune cycle" that i was thrashing on every sunday night in their lot and never once got yelled at, same spot is often used by employees to teach their kids to drive..heck i laid tape to mark out dmv's mx driving course before i went after my endorsment just to prove i i knew it
    XRLated and bork like this.
  17. benspilk09

benspilk09 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at carburetor kits for these bikes, they all seem to show an improper float bowl gasket.

The carb with the choke circuit should have a full circle o-ring around the choke port, correct?

All of the aftermarket ones look like this:
    [​IMG]

Instead of this:
    [​IMG]

Is this a problem?
  18. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    oh...youve got that type, check ebay, do NOT plan on using the jets or needles as they often times are cheep junk you wouldnt trust to put in a kids bike..just buy the kit for the gaskets and float needle, put the rest in a box of "just encase"

the thing is theres the 2 styles and your looking for the other style, which last i knew was still availible thru honda...my "early" style is not
  19. benspilk09

benspilk09 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interesting. Yeah I'm mainly buying a kit for the float bowl gaskets. I didn't realize there were multiple styles, of course the kits say they fit 83-87...

The carbs I'm rebuilding came from Germany, I'm not sure what year they are. My original '84 carbs have the mounting bosses broken off where they bolt together.
  20. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    if you need that style you need the late ones, its funny cause i have a set of the late ones with broken tabs that i grabbed for spare parts