The XL600 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Gregster, Jul 6, 2007.

1. gkam

gkam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
  2. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you make it back? We need a documentary with pics or video. :dirtdog:*sip*
  3. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I need to replace the bearings in my other rear wheel. I remember having issues with my 1994 xr600. (Almost ruined the hub) Any tips on undoing the stakes around retainer. Also should I make a tool or buy one, to unscrew retainer? The xr has holes where the XL has cross slots.
  4. davek181

davek181 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take a drill bit slightly larger than the footprint of the staking and erase the stake. Restake in a different place on assembly.
  5. BrendanM

BrendanM n00b

Oddometer:
    Didn't update quickly, but did some running around. Rode the magruder corridor, Us-12, did some camping, and did some wrenching. Had to cut the trip short and not do the lolo motorway as I had crap getting into the carbs plugging them up. 20210903_195902.jpg IMG_20210902_162024471_HDR.jpg IMG_20210903_105432169_HDR.jpg
    gkam, JimRidesThis, dixda and 2 others like this.
  6. bearcat1

bearcat1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just returned from Hamilton Mt. A friend and I rode in the Sapphire Mountains and past Skalkaho Falls. The bike ran well even at altitude, so I must have got the jetting in the ball park! Of course there was that moment when the secondary carb's main jet backed out and fell into the bowl :lol3. The bike gets amazing fuel economy running only on the primary.:D Skalk3.jpg
    gkam, JimRidesThis, dixda and 2 others like this.
  7. dixda

dixda Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice bike! Hope you get the little things sorted out. Take care... (from a Telegraph Creek trip) It was top heavy from the tank to the gear. My comfortable speed was 65mph.

Telegraph trip 024.JPG
  8. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Drilled out the 4 dimples/stakes and it unscrewed pretty easy, didn't even heat. Nothing like the 1994 XR6 which was galled really bad.
  9. BeemerNut

BeemerNut Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had to ask, who made your wind screen? I'm thinking of one as I plan on a fair amount of highway riding before getting onto secondary mountain roads in the Calif. Gold Country and the northern parts of Calif. Feather River Canyon, Quincy, lake Almanor area, damn fire area now. Up to Shasta lake then west heading towards Highway One into the Calif. Redwoods then south and home. Also a fun ride down to Monterey and Pacific Grove again Highway One heading south. From the ocean to the Central Valley, Sierra Foothills, mountain passes over into the eastern high Sierra desert.
    Quite a variation in scenery within 200 and 280 miles almost out the back door. Away from the S.F Bay Area concrete jungle ......~~=o&o>.......
  10. BeemerNut

BeemerNut Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dang that's a lot of deadwood not put to use being added fuel for a possible lightening strike that can jump out of control rather quickly.

I noticed XL carbs all have short main jets with the XR carbs with longer main jet bodies. This to prevent the mains from sucking air being deeper into the bowls? Would a short 120 main act differently than a longer 120 main in making a difference fuel air ratio wise being longer as well positioned deeper? Just thinking of replacing short mains with longer ones I have as spares unless it would complicate matters worse rejetting?....~~=o&o>.....
  11. dixda

Oddometer:
    Beemernut, TCI made the windshield and racks.They are now out of business.
  12. davek181

davek181 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A 120 jet is a 120 jet in Kehin. It is 1.2mm
  13. BeemerNut

BeemerNut Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's me with something I like or a good tasting food item I want to buy again ends up NLA.
  14. BeemerNut

BeemerNut Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to know with Keihin after being told other carb manufactures use different numbering systems not related to jet ID.
    Then there's them "El Cheapo" carb gasket with jet kits from Chyna with their jet numbers being useless. Not trusted is a better word vs OEM Keihin jets now starting a variety collection.....~~=o&o>......
  15. dixda

Oddometer:
    Isn't that always the way, I loved toasting cheese english muffins, and putting strawberry jam on them, then they went the way of the Dodo.
  16. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This anyone here? Cool different camera angles. I liked watching the shock. I don't understand the title?
    XRLated and gkam like this.
  17. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hers a clean one, I wonder how much they are asking? Someone should call him and ask them how they adjusted the cam chain? as Kap stated in video. Usually he rides around with no helmet and wearing a wife beater tank top. Now a gun? Something happened?
    dixda likes this.
  18. dixda

Oddometer:
    My 87 would pull wheelies like that with a twist of the right hand when I got it, I took the 13t off the front and put the stock 15t on and it behaved more to my liking. I put a 39 on the back and highway speeds increased, although a little slower out of the gate. I finally settled for a 41 for around town and the small hops to the next berg.
  19. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    i think the 15/41 is what im running as well might even be a 42?, it will pull the front on the street with zero effort on the street tires, but requires "intentional" prodding for it to do it in the woods
    dixda likes this.
  20. dixda

Oddometer:
    I went through an intersection one time that had just greened, guy in a cage, (turning left) tried to beat me but stopped. I had pulled my clutch in expecting to brake, when I saw he had reconsidered, I let out the clutch not realizing my throttle had still been increasing. My bike did him a great front wheels up through the intersection. Unintended by me.
    I love my old 87 XL and will keep it until I'm too old to kick it!
    GSBruce and bearcat1 like this.