The XL600 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Gregster, Jul 6, 2007.

1. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb:thumb
  2. dixda

dixda Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your ride looks in cherry trim and I look forward to seeing more pics
    bearcat1 likes this.
  3. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had two, disgusted I sold them.
    bearcat1 likes this.
  4. bearcat1

bearcat1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @ MartiniUp, there's more out there! @ dixda here's a few more taken by a local beaver pond. It's real hard to see but just above the speedometer area on the picture is where the beaver lodge is located.
    20211021_135228.jpg

Here's another "upstream" pic. It's a bird sanctuary/conservatory with all sorts of birds here, eagles, hawks, ducks, geese, and other smaller birds.
    20211021_134403.jpg
    Here's the exhaust side pic, just before the beaver pond starts. The stream winds through the tall grass. The exhaust was off of a XR650L, free is free, gave up on finding an original XL can that wasn't rotted out for a reasonable price! I do have side panels, just haven't installed them, afraid of melting the exhaust side panel. Hard to find those panels. Thanks for the kind words, it's been a work in progress.
    20211021_134631.jpg
  5. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That sounds so cool! Post some of the beetle pics with diesel. Is it turbo'd?
  6. davek181

davek181 Long timer

Oddometer:
    PM sent.
    Car pics are a little off subject for a motorcycle site, though happy to share offsite.
  7. dixda

dixda Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bearcat, I have an XL can in very good(2 small dents)condition but shipping might make it an unreasonable price. Your bike shows very well.
  8. bearcat1

Oddometer:
    Thanks dixda, I'll send you a pm
  9. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Need a little carb help. I was playing with an old carb set, because my new needles should arrive soon & wanted to be ready to install them. Best way to take the slide in & out? I got the pri side out by disconnecting the natural colored plastic coupler with spring but reinstalling I'm not being successful. Looks like shaft removal is necessary? If shaft must come out, is spring hard to wind back on and hook?
    Also the black plastic linkage coupler between pri & secondary carbs, what is the little screw for in each end?
  10. bearcat1

Oddometer:
    Bork, stop! there's enough clearance if you pull the lid off the top of the carbs. I just had mine out. Davek181 taught me that. The needle can be be replaced with slide installed. And you can even pull the slide out if you hold your tounge just right!
    dixda likes this.
  11. bearcat1

Oddometer:
    Bork, use a longer #1 Phillips or smaller that can reach down inside the slide barrel and remove those 2 screws, plus remove that Phillips screw that attaches the arm assembly to the shaft and rotate the arm assembly up and back. Then reach down in the slide with some hemostats or small needle nose and pull out the needle. It takes some doing but is totally doable in the bike. You may have to cut some zip ties on the electrical harness to move the bundle slightly away by the frame for better screw driver access. I've done it numerous times.
  12. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    i will note..yes...it can be done but IMO the time and fight...its easier to pull the carbs as an assy, and the 2 screws on the slide DO NOT have to be removed to get the slide out if you loosesn the anchor grub screw from the shaft you can shove it to one side and the S pin will slide out of the assy
  13. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah! I'm glad you guys piped in. Makes sense to undo the small screws. But the other way with the screw in lug? I cant find. Is it the small stub that sticks out of the lift arm? Opposite end of the spring loaded shaft? Mine looks like its peened over like a rivet. That's where the spring & plastic thingy hooks to the inside of slide. Now to track down a 122 main jet.
  14. bearcat1

Oddometer:
    Follow the slider actuating arm up and aft. That's where the set screw is that attaches it to the shaft. Once detached, rotate the actuating arm out of the way and the top of the needle is now exposed (if you have already removed those two screws down inside the slider barrel). Pull the needle out at this point.
  15. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, yes, I've done that. Thanks.
  16. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    so the plastic bit has a spring U that slips over the shaft, take a pick and pull it up slightly and the whole thing will slide off the arm, the U at the end of the spring acts as a lock into a notch on the shaft preventing it from sliding off
  17. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok I have done this but I wasn't able to get springs back on. But then again I forgot about the 90degree pick. i'll try that 1st. If unsuccessful, I'll take out the screws in bottom of slide & reconnect spring & then screw down assembly again. THANK YOU!
  18. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    best guess some kin d of guard

with a pick you should be able to re-assemble too...if re-assembly is tricky...heheh grab an allen wrench that snugly fits in the hole, get the spring on it and slide it just passed the spring, then as you slide it onto the shaft the shaft will push the wrench out and keep the spring
  20. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks I'll try that too if I get frustrated.