The XL600 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Gregster, Jul 6, 2007.

1. mazinger

mazinger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, my XL 600 LM is now finished...this weekend I will try to start it!

[​IMG]

Here with her mother...

[​IMG]

I'm in love with mother and doughter, is that a sin? :D

MAZ
    SPAIN
    mrmushman, AZ TOM, lookfar and 4 others like this.
  2. asparky92

asparky92 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    RFVC600R likes this.
  3. XRLated

XRLated Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Apologies in advance for cross posting here and the 650 group:

My orthopedic surgeon says I need to stop being stupid and get rid of my kickstart only xl600r before I blow out my $$$$ knee replacement. Over the past 15 years I've owned the bike, I gotten really good at kicking it over, but it only takes one mistake to do serious damage.

But I love that bike! So my best ideas so far:

1) throw money at Steve and beg him to add an e-start to the engine; however I understand that to be expensive and problematic, and, also, it seems a shame to add weight to a light engine in a light bike (relative to an XRL). Does it really make sense to turn an XL600R engine into an XR650L engine?

2) So then maybe I should sell the XL600R engine, carbs, and exhaust (and wiring harness and other electrics?) and throw cash at Steve and beg him to build me a dream XRL engine that I'll drop into the XL frame along with a pumper carb and freer flowing exhaust. Or maybe sell the XL600R engine, carbs, exhaust, wiring harness and other electrics and try my hand at converting the bike to electric?!

My 1986 XL600R has about 7-8k miles on it, looks like a 30-year-old dirt bike (lovingly beat up) but always started easy and ran great up until the last time I rode it, which I guess was a year ago.

My question to you all is what kind of price would I be able to get on ebay for:

1) Engine?
    2) Dual carbs?
    3) OEM exhaust?
    4) assorted electrics including wire harness?

And also, if it was your bike, what direction would you go with it, and why?
  4. Orthodoc

Orthodoc Cowboy Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. Orthodoc

Orthodoc Cowboy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe your doctor just wants your bike!
    XRLated likes this.
  6. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    ive chewed on this idea myself a bit, while you can sell the bits dont expect them to move fast, even if you take vid of it running before selling it, its still a mystery on the insides and a gamble to the buyer, me, well id love to have a spare COMPLETE bullet carbs harness and all

after some digging it seems to me the "easy move would be to slip in a 400ex quad engine or mod to get the 650 engine in

as far as modding the 600 to push button, the only problematic issue is tracking down the parts list, modding the battery box to take something a lil bigger is NOT hard, and the mod to the wiring harness is actual simply adding a wire or 2
    XRLated likes this.
  7. lookfar

lookfar from the land of OZ Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 650 engine will bolt right in to the 600 frame using the original bolts. It starts to become problematic immediately after that.
    The XRL engine runs on DC power, whereas the XL engine runs on AC power. All the electrics are different. Much easier to swap the wiring harness for an XRL harness and associated electrics. i.e. ALL electrical components will need to be XRL, regulator, CDI, anything that plugs into the harness.

The other major issue is of the twin carb setup. If you were to ream out the bolt holes in the XL twin carb head to take the XRL's 9mm head bolts and 10mm locating dowels, the XL head will bolt onto the XRL cylinder jug. No fancy carbs, you will be stuck with the twin carbs due to the position of the XL's rear shock.
    You will also need to change the cam timing chain sprocket, due to the XRL timing chain being a lot narrower than the XL version. Actually there are 3 different timing chains. XL600, XR600 and NX650/XR650L.

I have been through all this, I re-powered my '97 XR600 with a NX650 engine, it was a big job, but oh wow, what a result.
    My RMG has a twin carb head, and a late model Nikasil XR600 cylinder, I had to do the bolt hole reaming thing, now you wouldn't pick it.

It's a pretty big contract, but for me, the results are worth it. You will just have to work out the pros and cons for yourself vs buying an XRL.

The XRL is not generally available here, there are some available second hand, but pretty scarce.

HTH
  8. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    The intelligent thing is to sell it to me. Where is it located?
  9. XRLated

Oddometer:
    Carlsbad CA, San Diego County.
  10. XRLated

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the great advice.

Parting the whole bike out on ebay is sounding much more attractive, particularly after lookfar's testimony above. What also might be fun/interesting/educational (and profitable maybe) would be to disassemble the engine all the way down and part that out on ebay, instead of selling it assembled, since as Sh0rtlife says, no one's necessarily going to believe it still runs, particularly after sitting a year.

And maybe I can feel good about getting some good condition OEM parts out there for my XL compadres who still are trying to keep their aging XLs humming along.

Yeah, kinda liking the idea of taking that engine apart along with the rest of the bike and setting up my very own ebay parts shop.

In this case, I'd enjoy the work, learn stuff, do good in the XL world, and also probably make more off the parts than just selling the complete bike or complete engine.
  11. XRLated

Oddometer:
    After lookfar's excellent detailed post, if I sell the engine but keep the chassis, I don't see trying to make an XR650L engine work. Whew. That sounds like Masters Class type work! But, I have been thinking about playing around with converting a bike to electric...
  12. lookfar

Oddometer:
    LOL, this is what I wound up with. Hopefully give you some motorvation (spelling intentional)

1997 XR600 with NX650 engine, XRL electrics, XRL airbox, XRL sidecovers, XRL battery box. I made up some battery box mounts, and a mate tig welded them to the XR frame for me. The idea was to keep it all Honda, so that I could get parts for it anywhere. My local Honda dealer has told me that it looks factory.

IMG_12951.jpg IMG_12961.jpg

This is my XL600RMG, the European special.

It is all Honda, but the cylinder jug is late version XR600, with 9mm head bolts and a Nikasil bore.
    The head is early twin carb XL/XR. The RMG engine is basically an XR600 engine fitted with e-start as well as kick.
    In this pic, I haven't swapped over the E-start gears for the correct version.

It's still a works in progress, bits are just sitting on the bike to see how it looks.
    IMG_1806.jpg
    IMG_1812.jpg

Oh, and just to keep the thread on topic, here is a pic of my '85 XL600

IMG_1312.jpg
  13. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    XRLated,

How about I build you a XR650l engine but use a XR/XL dual carb head. I modded a head for a fellow across the pond a couple years ago.

Dual carb head, big fins, XR650l WEB cam and rockers, late style rocker cover (different rocker arms/spacing), modded the head to accept the decom plunger/spring. It can be done. I have all of the electrical you'd need. Harness, R/R, CDI, battery box etc.

Hey, It's only money...

Modded for cam decom plunger:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Something like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BSW, bork, Adventurepig and 2 others like this.
  14. XRLated

Oddometer:
    Daaaaaamn! You just spinned me 180 degrees from my last post.

That is tempting and I am thinking...
  15. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Christmas is coming. Treat yourself...
  16. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    is there that much more power to be had from the swap?, mostly curious here
  17. XRLated

Oddometer:
    That is brilliant Steve!

But.... and this is me thinking out loud and nothing to do with that idea itself, which is GENIUS, but...

..and everyone tell me if I have this wrong...

...the two best things about the XL is

1) the higher HP engine, since in 1986 CARB or EPA or whoever hadn't put quite the same stranglehood on the XLR as they put on the XRL in 1993. So, would I end up with a higher HP engine with Steve's badass hotrod hybrid, than if I instead had Steve hotrod my 2016 XRL?

2) the lighter weight. I always thought the XLR is lighter than the XRL due to not having e-start. So does e-start in the XLR make it weigh similar to the XRL?

Aside from higher HP, lower weight, and my considerable nostalgia for my XLR, doesn't--as someone here or in the XRL group posted--the XRL have better suspension, brakes, electrics (?), clearance, etc.? So, if modding the XLR engine doesn't yield higher HP than a similarly modded XRL engine and if it adds weight am I just left with XLR nostalgia vs. XRL performance?

I guess the other XLR benefit is grandfathered looser emissions regs, but modding either bike violates those.

Hmmm... I'm interested in anyone ele's thoughts, but maybe I open my XLR parts shop and instead throw money Steve's way for my other ongoing project:

Screenshot_2019-07-21-10-46-26.png
    Tritwin likes this.
  18. lookfar

Oddometer:
    1. I don't believe so, you're just going to have a 650 engine in your XL. It may be marginally different, due to the twin carbs, but I'm not too sure.

2. The XRL will have better suspender, brakes, clearance etc than the XL, so yes, it will be nostalgia vs performance. It will be a bit heavier due to the e-start bits and battery.

However, you will end up with a bike that very few , if any, people have got, and your orthopaedic surgeon will be happy that you are not kickstarting your bike.

You will also be happy for your new lease on your old friend.
    XRLated and bork like this.
  19. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    its funny this is brought up cause honestly i worry more about parts availibilty down the road than the actual E start, i would assume the extra 50ccs of engine should boost the HP number considerably, but i could be wrong

to me...the xrl's look goofy, the bodys wrong , and nothing will beat the look of the old xl/xrs of the 80s, so...atleast to me id rather update the old girl than swap her out, and honestly at this point ive got the suspension dial for me and my riding style, but would love to squeeze more out of the engine, more electricity and more legs in the power band and maybe a lil more reliability in the long run?

i do love the mountain goat will go anywhere aspect and will mule up the hills in the wrong gear and pull strong, but theres plenty of times i feel like she needs a lil more when im flat out

so id really love to know what kind of power gains would be had...ie warmed over xl6 vs the xrl650 tweaked to fit and warmed over with twin carbs
    XRLated likes this.
  20. lookfar

Oddometer:
    You got me interested sh0rtlife, so I had a look at what the listed hp and torque for both bikes.

Strangely the old XL600R has the higher hp, but only by a poofteenth (Australian technical term)
    The XL has 45 horses vs the XRL 43.6

Torque is the other way, also by a poofteenth.
    The XRL at 51.9 Nm vs the XL at 48.8 Nm.

It would appear that the extra 50cc's doesn't account for much.

Here are the web pages that I grabbed the info from.

https://motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Honda/honda_xl600r 84.htm

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Honda/honda_xr650lL 93.htm
    XRLated likes this.