The XL600 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Gregster, Jul 6, 2007.

1. XRLated

XRLated Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My understanding:

Tougher emission restrictions throttle the XRL. Open up the airbox and exhaust, and rejet to actually use the extra 50ccs.

As someone with both bike's set up OEM, I definitely feel more power with no stumbling from the XLR. Easier wheelies.

Logic says hotrodding an XRL with a pumper carb will beat the XLR.
  2. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    i do know that restrictions choke the snot out of the XRL, thats why i was REALLY wondering about the XL headed 650 with twin carbs, since in theory youd end up with a bigger porting across the board along with more air flow and a non restrictive box and better flowing pipes

id kill for some real world numbers...it would probably make me pull the trigger sooner rather than later
    XRLated likes this.
  3. XRLated

Oddometer:

Do it!

I've never looked into the XLR, but I imagine the XLR suspension and brakes are just as upgradeable as an XRL, right, so you could have maybe a lighter e-start bike that beals an XRL on all counts. Solve the two big XRL complaints: weight and stumble accelerating.
  4. XRLated

Oddometer:
    Due to cost vs. wallet thickness, I have to finish my GB500TT restore before any XLR work.

However, everyone's comments have ended up making me pause on my earlier part-it/sell-it XLR plan that I was strongly considering.

It'd be super cool if the XRL-bottom/XLR-top less-restricted dual-carb engine would fit in the GB500TT's frame, but from what I've read, no space to fit both carbs, and also probably many more registration hassles putting an earlier year engine in a later year bike.
  5. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    ive done alot of parts swap comparison on suspension and brakes, and while the RL's front end "might" be slightly bigger, imo it isnt better, the LRs front end is still serviceable and tweakable and can be built to suit as well as the 80s XR front end, but again aside from some oil weights and a spring tweak its a good front end

front brakes seem to be moot point and neerly identical, the master cyl is the only true change id make mostly for "rider feedback"

the rear, well, both suck, swap the rear to a late 80s early 90s aluminum xr arm and shock with res, issue solved better tracking longer wheelbase more travel and adjstability with a MUCH lighter arm and mod it for drive

the real kick in the rear is the brakes and drive, personaly ill NEVER get rid of the drive, which ..for now...means sticking with the drum, which once honed out and re-prepped with new brakes works amazing, and imo the "mechanical" aspect of it means it will ALWAYS work, nothing to leak or fail, however it lacks that long use anti fade that a disc gives, the ONLY way i see of truely upgrading this issue would be to use a new africa twins rear wheel/hub disc on drive PERFECTION...once spares come down in price ill be on the hunt

the engine aspect is the only part i dont know enough about mod wise, but with the info posted, if i managed to get my hands on the parts to build one WITHOUT removing my engine from my bike id try it out

i should see about scaling my XL and see how much weight ive lost/gained since my mods have likely removed more weight than ive added
    XRLated likes this.
  6. XRLated

Oddometer:
    That was all interesting info, and you have clearly thought about this more than me. Hoping you proceed with a build! Maybe that'll get me inspired enough to sell the 2016 XRL and put the cash into the XLR and GB!

The only thing I didn't understand was the comment above about never getting rid of the drive. What's the benefits of the XLR drive?

Thanks!
  7. scalpel

scalpel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good afternoon. My first post here. I am looking at possibly aquiring this XL600. Can anyone tell me exactly which model this is?

Attached Files:

• XL.jpg
      XL.jpg
      File size:
      80.9 KB
      Views:
  8. davek181

davek181 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A modded XL will run as good as the XRR. My brother in law has both a stock XL and an XRR with the usual mods. They are quite different from each other. I flew out to visit him a time or two and we rode both bikes in the mountains of colorado, swapping on occasion so as to sample both. I greatly desired an XRR but couldn't pull the trigger on buying one, so I upgraded my XL with modern USD fork and rear shock revalved and replaced, XR crank with 102 piston yielding 654cc with 10.5:1 compression. I thought it ran ok, but still lusted for an XRR until I went to visit and rode the XRR again. I remember my very first impression as I rode it again and concluded before I even got through second gear that I preferred my XL. I liked the power and throttle response better, and the suspension was way better, especially the forks.

Later he flew out here to visit and I took him out in the Idaho mountains on my bikes. He rode the XL, and at our first stop on the trail he had many questions as to what I had done. He agreed that it had everything the XRR had and maybe more. So a Honda 650 in various forms is a Honda 650. You can teach an old dog new tricks apparently.

You still don't get the e-start though.
    XRLated likes this.
  9. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    having swapped in xr wheels a few times to test with vs without the drive, the drive actualy soaks up the "harsh" hits n grabs, on the street it protects the chain and sprockets only, but off road however if you do side by side tests youll feel like the bike is more linear in uneven grip situations its not something most guys would probably notice, where i really noticed it was in heavy washboard as well as exiting mud and snow you dont get as hard of a traction "kick" its kinda sprung and let go slowly, think of the drive as more of a shock system for traction changes, it smoooooths everything out nicely and prolongs chain and sprocket life as a bonus or think of it like a recoil stock on a gun for that matter, it simply takes a bit of the impact out and re-distributes it

ive got an 84 xr250, which lets face it is a night n day comparision, i love the light and nimble of the 250, and for BIG crazy air i loved the way it soaked it up, but thats basicly where the love of the 250 ends, i tweaked my front end till it ended up feeling BETTER than the 250, the saddle is more comfortableon the xl as well, and the lack of the drive is actualy twice as noticeable on the 250
  10. XRLated

Oddometer:

Oh, right! the XL has cush drive standard!

I agree 100%.

I added a Warp-9 cush drive to my XRL shortly after purchase:
    https://www.warp9racing.com/
    I think it is one of the must-do XRL upgrades and helped the XRL in all respects you mention above. Money well spent.

I think it helped the XRL's throttle stumble somehow that I haven't quite figured out how.

The XRL/XLR hybrid engine is really a great idea, as well as upgrading the XL suspension, etc. I'm thinking that bike really might be an XRL killer thanks to lighter weight, dual carbs, and less restricted flow.

I do love my XRL, though, too! I'd probably need to make some hard decisions and sell it to have sufficient funds to do the XLR.

Hmmm, lots of options... throw 1/3 of the XRL into my GB500 chassis that is still needing a power plant and electrics (engine, carb, wiring harness, CDI, etc., etc.), throw another 1/3 of the XRL into the XLR (Rox risers, front forks, triples(?),HDB gaurds, high-bend handlebars, etc., etc.), sell the last 1/3 of the XRL on ebay (frame, seat, tank, wheels, etc., etc.), to get enough cash to buy a hybrid XRL/XLR e-start engine from Steve to finish up the XLR!

OK, I'm scaring myself.

I love my XRL... but...

Do the XRL triples fit the XLR neck? And, if so, I wonder what would need to be done to the rear shock to maintain rake? Race-Tech can make custom G3-S shocks to balance things out for the rear suspension. Would the XRL swingarm fit the XLR frame? Or just upgrade the OEM XLR suspension with gold valves and G3-S shock to maintain the OEM XLR stance?

But I love my XRL, though. Not sure I could put her under the knife, sell her kidneys, so to speak. Ack!
  11. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    i belive swapping the whole front end is just a need of changing a bearing? but a few guys here have done it, so someone can speak up, as for the swinger, i was under the impression that its a direct bolt on so youd be able to keep your warp9's n all or youd have to shim it?

as for the rake change the factory xl swinger is the shortest of all the xr/xl's so swapping it should fix the rake, hell you can lowwer the forks in the tripple a little if needed, in fact with the swinger and fork swap id be suprised if you could flat foot the beast any more LOL i had to dial out most of my rear preload to even the bike out, im 6'4 38 inseam on 501's 210lbs, the xl6 sits perfectly for me, just barely flatfoot with my full weight on it

if you were local id offer to make you a harness for the GB, making harnesses from scratch is easy, my 6 was gutted down to little more than a kill switch and coil, so i hand wired the whole thing, probably the 10th or so harnsess ive built for cars/bikes
  12. XRLated

Oddometer:
    Actuallly, hope to move to Portland in May.

Sorry, another Caifornian crowding in, I know. But we love PNW and have been vacationing there and trying to make the move for years, and now we are actually bringing our jobs north with us.

Except for not being able to split lanes like down here in California, you all are a paradise for bikes IMHO, particularly dual sports.
  13. richeyroo

richeyroo XR650L, CRF450X,

Oddometer:
    20191019_160844.jpg My solution is an XR/Warp9/XL/600/500 hybrid.
    Basically an XR650L with a Warp9 hub, SMPro wheels, XL600LM 28 litre tank, XL500 panels to mimic early Dakar looks, an oil cooler under the head light, Renthal high rise bars, 14/45 gearing,
    It will get used. No point keeping it pristine. Hopefully off to Morocco next year
    RFVC600R, manx16, mazinger and 4 others like this.
  14. davek181

davek181 Long timer

Oddometer:
    XL cush too in XR arm, among other things IMG_6137_zpsekt2dujj.jpg
    dixda, RFVC600R, XRLated and 2 others like this.
  15. Homerb

Homerb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    XL600LMF
  16. scalpel

scalpel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you.
  17. RFVC600R

RFVC600R No sand here :'( Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yo! IDK if you guys noticed, but there is a new ADV on 4wheels section here on ADV. I know some of you guys got some sweet rides!!!
  18. RFVC600R

RFVC600R No sand here :'( Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was thinking about you and Steve and the other guys around here the other day when I seen an XL600R cruising down the road, glad to see you're still around!!
    bork likes this.
  19. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:

you need to find the same accerbis headlight unit im using to finish that off..and lose the hella, im running the vintage africa twin
  20. richeyroo

richeyroo XR650L, CRF450X,

Oddometer:
    I quite like the Hella. A lot of the 82/83/84 Dakar Hondas had a similar auxiliary light. Mine is independently switched so only gets used in very remote places.

Which Acerbic headlight do you mean ?