The XL600 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Gregster, Jul 6, 2007.

1. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    this one, heck you could still keep the hella, i just think with all the rest of the bike going on your headlight looks TINY, and for the look you have going on its the only missing piece IMO
    [​IMG]
    bork, dixda and XRLated like this.
  2. lookfar

lookfar from the land of OZ Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I've done all I'm going to do on this one for now, been a big job just finding parts for it.

1986 Honda XL600RMG.
    They were imported into Australia in limited numbers in '86-'87. Most went to the EU.
    Dunno how many are still getting around, but probably not many.

It's twin carb, e-start as well as kick and tubeless type rims.

IMG_1845.jpg IMG_1846.jpg
  3. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    bizzar..its got the wheels i love, and e start twin carb, i never knew these existed, that brake disc is freakin me out tho

as much as i hate the square frame bikes, i cant get over the body work, the way the tank n saddle come together is soo much better than stock. id kill for a set of those tank extension panels, those would be a sweet addition to any xl6
    XRLated likes this.
  4. XRLated

XRLated Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What do the tank extension panels do?
  5. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    if they are anything like what ive seen on the yamaha version of the xl's the XT's it helped "catch" air and direct it at the head, ive been sitting on a buddies xt350 for a year or more awaiting his funds for me to go thru it....and the air catchers are pretty cool looking and i eyeball my clarke tank and its small mounting points under the tank...ive tryed to figure out a way to make something similar...but making it out of "soft" yet stout plastic is not something i have the tools to do...i had no idea that a euro xl ever even came with something like them

heres a random xt for referance
    [​IMG]
  6. XRLated

Oddometer:
    So similar to the xr650l "wings"
  7. lookfar

Oddometer:
    Yup. The '86 version.

The engine is a strange mix match, has the XR600 bore and stroke, with the XL600 cam and rockers. Decompression is auto only when kick starting, but non-existent on the button. Instead there is a torque limiter on the starting gears.

The tank panels are peculiar to the RMG, it was the only bike that got them. The steel tank has mounting brackets that bolt to it, and the air ducts bolt to that. I don't believe that the RMG and the 600R tanks are interchangeable.

I was extremely lucky to find the original tank panels, but I had to buy another tank to get them. Both the tank panels and sidecovers are very rare, even in the EU.

The XL600r designator is PD03, and both the RMG and LM are PD04.
    XRLated likes this.
  8. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    so i have to assume that the starter drive doesnt go thru the kick drive if it doesnt run the decomp....how odd, but its pretty cool to see an odd variant, both e start and air ducts

id bet the tank would mount to the side posts but not to the center spine due to the longer seat, which if you had tank and seat would probably be an easy swap with a simple "tab" added to the frame

so does it take a bigger battery? just curious of the configureation under the seat/sides to fit everything
  9. lookfar

Oddometer:
    The starter drive is nearly identical to the 650L, but with the inclusion of a torque limiter, as there is no decomp on the camshaft.

The tank mounts to the side posts, and there is a bolt on the centre spine to hold it in position. Similar to the 600R, but the posts are slightly higher on the frame.

It does use a bigger battery, the battery is in the same spot as the 600R, but the Yuasa YB14-A2 battery is a lot bigger, so the recess is bigger.
  10. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So with that engine combo, can you feel any hp/torque advantage? compared to an xr600 or the xl600r?
  11. lookfar

Oddometer:
    From what I can remember, no. They are within 1 HP of each other, although the RMG is a bit heavier with the bigger battery and electric leg.
    Flip side is that it was designed for 70% on road, so its' road manners are very good. The RMG I had back in the day had a really good top end, didn't like top gear under 100Km/h.
  12. XRLated

Oddometer:
    Anyone looking for something moto-educational to read:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/loctite.265016/

Here's one sample:

13. Minidragon

Minidragon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would you kill for a complete bike : D , a friend of mine is thinking of selling his. Same bike as Lookfar's bike. I recall shock is shot.
  14. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    i doubt its even on the west coast LOL..and im broke for the holidays...but of course id be intrested
  15. Minidragon

Minidragon Long timer

Oddometer:
    : D, you couldn't be more correct,located across the pond..think he's looking at $3300-3000
  16. dedgerly207

dedgerly207 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have a question about the webcam camshaft refurbishment....

Anybody every have their cam refurbished? How was the service? Did you have your rockers hardwelded as well?

If you have your cam refurbished do you have to have your rockers refurbished as well? Or will new OEM rockers suffice?

The cam refurbishment is almost 300. With 4 rocker refurbishments it puts the bill closer to 600.
  17. asparky92

asparky92 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know/remember the length of the rear shock for the XL? I know we have covered suspension upgrades thoroughly but I am struggling to find that information.
  18. SwampThingx

SwampThingx n00b

Oddometer:
    In 2020 in the US where it's easy to find an XL you're lucky to see one in an estate sale or a classified every 3-6 years........ I watch CL and ebay all the time; been trying to buy a 500 or 600 from the early eighties for a while now.. That's any XL 500 or 600 too not just an '82 500 or '83 600 which I'd really like..

Prices actually aren't too bad when you actually find one usually around 2k or 3k which is what a late 650 dual goes for.. Like someone said early in the thread: usually owned by old-money who probably has it leaning against a six-figure car in some bushes or a shed rotting
  19. Onederer

Onederer Crunch Nugget

Oddometer:
    At the bottom of your glass, staring back
    Actually, the hardest part is finding one ready to ride. I see plenty of non running, parts bikes on Craigslist that are laughably overpriced. Many are even labeled as XR600s because the owner doesn't have a clue about what they're selling and the bike probably hasn't been registered by the past 10 owners.

It's less expensive to buy a currently registered, ready-to-ride XL than it is to buy one in a box or a clapped out parts bike.
  20. SwampThingx

SwampThingx n00b

Oddometer:
    Yeah when one is actually on the market. Right now there is one(note one; for the entire planet Earth) on Ebay for $3,500 that looks like someone tried to make it in to a cafe racer; like they do with seventies "super bikes" where it typically looks like total garbage meant to look like vintage BSA or Triumph by some idiot in some sub-division.. You'll see an XL 80 show up for 2k once in a blue moon on CL..

I'll admit like some others in this thread I basically gave away an XL 500 and a RM 500 in the nineties that had nothing wrong with them... Both of those bikes go for 8x what I gave for them then.. I'd easily trade a 2020 XR 650L for an 82 XL 500R, and I actually have the 2020 XR 650L with clear title to do it...
    brucifer likes this.