The XL600 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Gregster, Jul 6, 2007.

1. tarantulahawk

tarantulahawk slipperyhellionon2wheels

Oddometer:
    I do know someone who offered to sell me an XL500S super cheap, wonder if that would be worth the time/effort to get running and stuff in there....the rolling chassis XR350R was free to me, so I’m just sorta eyeballing different motors. There’s a guy up in Warshington who pops up on craigslist from time to time with a pile of bike engines in a garage....need to bookmark that ad next time I run across it. I was scouring his list for XR forks and shocks the last time I spotted it
  2. tarantulahawk

Oddometer:
    KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK SIR
  3. tarantulahawk

Oddometer:
    So yeah....hah, didn’t answer the most important question - Provenance. The bike had been leaning against a good friend’s garage for a long time, was a gift from his dad. Somewhat of an unwanted one. A gift I was only too happy to recieve!

The bike came with a stock tank and a Malcolm Smith desert tank which is in excellent shape, I’m probably going to eBay that to pay for the XR’s Only pipe I just ordered for the XL6. Not sure I need the big tank for dirty work.....heh heh
  4. tarantulahawk

Oddometer:
    Ha, funny you should ask. Everything was great, I found a powerline road that looked like it was headed up toward Apiary and I was all set to do a Friday afternoon run up there with a buddy who rides a KLR. Did a little pre-run up that way and had a couple things happen. First, I noticed that the plastic panel on the exhaust side was, ah, gone.

THEN, I realized I’d been hearing this buzzing sound when the rear shock was being compressed. After a few of those, I would hear this odd clanging sound, like two stiff pieces of sheet metal being snapped back and forth on each other. A ringing sound, kinda.

Decided to cut my ride short and was glad I had the foresight to do this when I got home and proceeded to give the ‘ol girl the hairy eyeball. First thing I noticed was that the knobs on the right-hand side of the tire were looking a little......darker? Then I noticed the exhaust looking a little more polished in the corresponding area. Hm. Oooooohkay.....! Then I walked around the bike and....saw.....

E6B68C06-8286-401E-BF86-CC61B925C7C7.jpeg

...ooops....
    So in short, I was actually totally glad that I lost the side cover, ‘cos it enabled me to see what was actually wrong. I have an XR’s Only exhaust on the way that will probably end up being bolted up next week. Will also get a new pair of side plastics from DCVMX.COM.

Then.....VEHICULAR JACKASSERY....!
    bork likes this.
  5. tarantulahawk

Oddometer:
    LOL. Just realized I wound up posting this twice. Need to back off the high-ABV IPA’s when I’m posting around here mebbe
  6. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    i put a vw rabbit horn on mine as i had nothing
  7. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    jve actualy goy a clean running 500s thats missing most of its "road" gear that ive no idea what ill do with, its been used as a learner bike for friends..friends no longer live in state

and ive probably got a set of xr forks

go find the old plastic ..and if youve got the other one i want it!!!!...the mounting nubs have all but fallen out of mine and i dont want "new" ones but saveable originals to keep the "age"

if you descide you dont want the 350, sell the big tank and gimmy a shout id love to take it
  8. mendonjo

mendonjo n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello Everyone - I have a 1986 XL600R and I have a manual but its at my brother's house 600 miles away - can someone please tell me what the float height is for an 86? (I think 86 and 87 are the same). Thank you! Joe
  9. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    honestly the float height "measurement" isnt as acurate as you think... i found the manual to be flat wrong...since...well gasoline no longer has lead and is more alcohol and water thus the floats no longer float at the same level

do youself a favor and do it the kawasaki way..get clear tubing attach it to the bowl drain with enough tubing to reach most of the way up the carb, open drain ...youll want to raise and lower the hose a few times to equalize the fuel and floats,

the fuel level should be no more than 2 mm above the gasket and no lower than the bolting flange on the bowl, and yes this can be done on the bench with little more than a a way to add fuel to the carbs...before i got a tuning fuel tank i would often use a water bottle with a gear oil nipple on it.....and still use that for priming the mower
    tarantulahawk and bork like this.
  10. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had my XR600r Snap off during a dual sport event. Limped back to my van & alloy based brazed it back up with map gas, and is still holding today! My buddy told me to ditch the muffler in woods, and get a new fmf powerbomb. I cant afford that & glad I fixed it because I rode the 2nd day of the dual sport! Save your original stuff, because you'll never know who might be wanting it.
    tarantulahawk likes this.
  11. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    or who might NEED it

honestly for me....the fmf or any "newer" muffler just doesnt sound right on a vintage bike

on a side note, i found on my pipe n muffler the need to ..re-arange some things via spacers n shims, if you can de-flex the system and do a lil clocking of parts youll end up with something that wont break...problem is everythings manufactured with X tolerances and you just cant toss it on and tighten it down and expect it to fit and not break eventualy
    bork likes this.
  12. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have both side covers that has nub problems also. Been trying to figure out a way to 3D a replacement set & then grind off old nubs completely, but the big issue is trying to get new nub to stick to the poly, nothing seems to work, so far.
  13. tarantulahawk

Oddometer:
    Sadly, it wasn’t an OG Honda pipe that broke. It was some cheapo LEXX pipe that I wasn’t all that excited about anyway - I had one on my KLR and while it worked OK on that bike it definitely wasn’t suited to this one. Not a great loss. The XR’s Only piece is going to be a damn nice upgrade, all things considered.....
  14. Go_find_a_tree

Go_find_a_tree Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have some xl600 and xr600 parts on Portland craigslist currently if anyone is looking for parts. Can pm me also.
    Shocks, forks chain. Parts left over from conversion to xr suspension plus a bunch of misc I picked up along the way.
  15. mark duncan

mark duncan default

Oddometer:
    I just have to remember to turn my blinker off after the corner ;)

I'll try. I think they were surprised how fast an old bike can be.
  16. mendonjo

mendonjo n00b

Oddometer:
    Book says 18mm for 85 and later
  17. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    bork..heres what i did, since you "have" nubs, what you do is make some abs plastic blocks to fit in the "voids" in the nubs, then use automotive bumper repair glue, and clamp it all together, if that doesnt hold you then put a 3mm allen thru it , it will get you some more years for sure...worked great on my "collapsed" nubs but does nothing for the one thats held on by only 1 spine worth of material
  18. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll try that glue but was tempted to bolt on as you said. Just hate the thought of putting a hole in cover.
    OR tempted to remove the grommet & extend the metal for grommet out to reach inside of the side cover with nub ground off flush & use the plastic push rivets. Seems like cars and quads use them alot and seem to hold fairly well & semi flush feel. http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/221781720042-0-1/s-l1000.jpg
  19. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    the bolt actualy goes thru "sideways" to hold the nub and stakes and "filler" as a sandwich, it works really well so long as you have atleast 2 of the 3-4 stake spines still attached....or "collapsed" this straightens them up and keeps em going for a long time IE the bolt would be sideways thru the mid section of the nipples gapped structure.....maybe ill juts pull a panel and get a pic
  20. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh That makes sense, but pics are always welcomed :nod