The XL600 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Gregster, Jul 6, 2007.

1. dixda

dixda Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great! Many drill extra intake holes in their airbox for a better flow. I personally leave it as is, then I ride like the old guy I am. I am looking forward to your build posts.
  2. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    the reg/rec unit is the big one, the reg unit is the small one, the reg/rec youll need for running "everything else"..tho honestly id probably run 2 of them, one for everything else and 1 for the headlight..keep the systems isolated and youll be golden, also the size of that "big" unit is still pretty small maybe 3x3x1

your going to have fun tuning that LOL..but it looks slick!

if it were me i would make a filter box setup...now hear me out, you run an oval filter instead of 2 pods, it will help the tune and the equalization of the carbs without hurting the look your after, you start with 2 tubes of ABS plastic or steel then ad a flat plate to it and then build that out with a 1 inch oval lip to match an oval dome filter, say what youd see on a delloroto carb, the 1 inch step out will give you some "air box" effects to help the tune

id run this style filter i think
    [​IMG]

tho one of the full ovals may look just as good in there
  3. Cord

Cord Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ve no problem with fitting an air box, I wanted to try 2 individual filters first, if it doesn’t work I’ve got plenty of room for fabricating something to add some volume post filter. Cheers.
  4. davek181

davek181 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The best cheapest readily available flasher is part # EL12 at Napa. I have used one for years with different combinations of lights and it always blinked perfectly and at the same speed even with only one light functioning, no resistors or anything else needed.
    I got tired of buying batteries years ago so I replaced it with a couple fairly large capacitors bought at Radio shack. I only put in the capacitor pack for turn signal operation. I changed all my other lights except headlight and front signals to LED and if I kill the engine I have about 20 seconds of power left to find my neutral light. Handy in noisy situations like heavy traffic.
    RFVC600R and bork like this.
  5. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I stumbled on a NOS gem. I'm not sure if I should keep it or try to sell it to a collector?
    [​IMG][/URL] [/IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. KS-XL600

KS-XL600 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

Have any of you messed with the Dynojet Stage 2 kit for an XL?
    I can't seem to get it right, the sucker is not wanting to start. Definitely getting to much fuel.
    I have taken it apart and put it back together many times changing things, it seems the first kick always wants to start but after that nothing.

The biggest question I have so far is why do the DJ needles come shorter than the stock needles. I understand why they would have more taper, but length?

Here's a more detailed write up about the situation.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/xl600r-dynojet-stage-2-jet-kit.1459556/

I probably should've posted this here first and not made a new thread on Thumpers, sorry I'm a newbie.

Thanks in advance!
  7. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    considering the tire is a biasply its probably still good...but likely HARD, id sell it if you can

as for the jet kit...talk to dave, but ill tell you first..you need to baseline it out and get it to start...you likely didnt need a kit but just a jet or 2
  8. KS-XL600

KS-XL600 n00b

Oddometer:
    bork wow… “Army Special” that’s a neat tire!

Sh0rtlife how can you tell if a dual sport tire is bias ply? I got a free set of ’85 xl wheels and the rear had an old bridgestone. And I mean to tell ya that thing was HARD, it took me longer to take it off then put the new tire on. It bent my tire iron! I wonder if it was just really old or if it was also a bias.

Yes I agree, and no I honestly didn’t need the DJ kit to start with just a rebuild. The bike was tuned fine before I touched it lol. But some o-rings and or gaskets were leaking as well as a broke kick starter spring and a leaky oil seal. But what do ya know the project snowballed on me and I ended up painting the motor and buying some other upgrades including they DJ kit. Check out that other thread for the details. Or I guess you could click on my account and see all the posts so far?
  9. Cord

Cord Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cheers for that, what size capacitors do you use? Is it as simple as just replacing battery with capacitor, no other wiring changes?
  10. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have never seen this before. Sorry if its old and been passed around many times.
    AlpinaE24 likes this.
  11. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    the typical problem with an xl is someone jetting it wrong..even with a ton of upgrades unless your at silly altitudes or running a gnarly cam and high comp you probably need very little adjustment, save for running pod filters, or no air box then all bets are off

as a baseline put the stock stuff back in and see if it starts easily, if so, then use some tape on the throttle housing and make marks for 1/4, 1/2 and when the secondary carb opens and then 1/2 open on it, and start doing test n tune while riding, where it bogs or pings will tell you what needs tweaked

as for the bias ply, any "old" bike tire pre 80s is typicaly bias(rare exceptions), and even still some new are, its not entirely a bad thing, just bias plys typicaly get VERY hard with age
  12. RFVC600R

RFVC600R No sand here :'(

Oddometer:
    So are these bikes getting rare or what?? I dont see them on CL now that I can afford a second one. shit I just want a non runner
  13. davek181

davek181 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't remember what size they were, and I taped the whole mess into a compact part I could mount where the battery was or I would go look. I Went to Radio crap which is now closed and got the biggest (physically) capacitors they had with the highest capacity they had in that size and used two hooked together. I made no other mods to the charging system. I did replace the taillight and instrument lights with LED so I could have 20 seconds or so of neutral light ability.
  14. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    yes...i mean they are neering 40 years old...ive watched them dry up up here even which is suprising, look for ANY other "big" dualsport of the same generation and youll net the same nil results...the 250's of just about anything are considerably easier to find
  15. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know why the service manual states not to grind/resurface valves?
  16. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    the only thing i could think of is how they have been treated and or sodium filled, but like the nikasil liners i belive that information to be VERY small batch of year specific so i wouldnt worry about it

edit the only other thing i could think of would be a issue with not wanting to drop the valve deeper in the hole?...i see no reason you cant adjust your way back out of it tho
  17. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I took the valves to this machinist/mechanic which has the valve resurfacer machine. He said, the grinder stone needs to skim the valve to see if true.(600grit) They are not at 45degrees. Any how they did not show an even grind, meaning the valves are not true. He did not want to grind them when I told him manual said not to. He thought they might be sodium filled. But I wonder if it is not case hardened. He also said, the border was very slim to almost nothing, leaving a sharp edge. I was little bummed and thought, take a little more time and order new and be done with all the iffy-ness. Also thought it might be a good idea to get new guides, but I see the intake guides are N/A. The later years like 1985 show available but in ( ) it states "oversize". Does anyone have knowledge in this area? Does the bore for guide need enlarged? Will the 1985 fit the 1983? One would think if the guide fits, the number would have been superseded? I'm also tempted to slap it all back together & run it. What is the worse case scenario? Valve seals leak prematurely? Any catastrophic damage possible?
  18. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    ill state this based on what i know of v8's

the useual reason to replace guides is if the valve is "sloppy" in them.. in 4 bangers its typical from droping a timing belt and bending a valve inturn toasting the guide as far as guides themselves....well this is where you start talking about oversize used mostly for real bad repairs or race situations where you need an oversize to fit a larger valve, that said you have head design dictating the "shape" and the valve stem dictating the ID, the actual guide dictates to the machinist what he has to do to the head

that said, get your valves and see how sloppy they are, you may not even need to bother...honestly unless its real sloppy i wouldnt bother, also why not just do a grit and "in head lap" of the valves, you remove the most minimal material while doing the seats at the same time...its no 3 angle valve job but will go a long way for a like new seal

personaly id probably just slap it back together and run it unless your noticing something off enough to warrent going nuts

as far as the later guides go...your best bet is to actualy check and see if the guide seals number and the valve itself changed numbers, if the valve is the same then its probably a "better" guide that will require machining to fit but would technicaly be an upgrade, if the seals show as the same number but the valves dont then its likely a valve "size" or length tweak but the shaft OD remained unchanged in which case youd run OE valves newwer guides and be good

if someone was truely curious the best way to verify any of it would be to order 1 of everything and take a mic/caliper to it al and see where the change is, i wouldnt be suprised to find out its all the same parts just that our "old bike" just isnt in the books or updated with the latest numbers...or that the changes are so miniscule that they dont matter....no more sodium switched to hardened etc
  19. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ShortLife, thank you, very helpful.
  20. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have good or bad to say about ordering parts from Hondaparts-direct.com in Palistine TX.? They seem to have really good prices.

On edit; I see their reviews were pretty bad. So then I was going to use Cheap Cycle Parts & found bad reviews on them also. https://www.resellerratings.com/store/Cheap_Cycle_Parts

Any good recommendations? With hopefully decent prices. (maybe an oxymoron)