The XL600 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Gregster, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Cord

Cord Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if a gear shift lever from anything newer fits on an ‘84 XL600R? I’m struggling to find anything in the UK, and shipping from US seems excessive. Am hoping it’s similar to a CRF or a more modern XR?
  2. 12120

12120 Unwittingly Domesticated

Oddometer:
    They are not that specific. As long as the shaft size is correct and the bend is close you should be able to make something work
  3. Cord

Cord Adventurer

Oddometer:

That’s the problem, I don’t know what other bikes have the same shaft and a similar bend!
  4. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    i would assume ALL of the honda xr/xl series on up thru the xr650L would be the same....like...completely the same, outside of that vast selection its possible that most of the 1990-2010 quads proabably use the same trans shaft and thus similar enough shifter

i can at the very least....confirm that the 80s xl's and xr's share them...beyond that is all speculation.....doesnt xr's only sell them?
  5. Cord

Cord Adventurer

Oddometer:
    XR’s only do sell them, just hoping to get something in the UK. I’ve ordered 1 for a late model xr650, hope it fits! Cheers.
  6. JimRidesThis

JimRidesThis Local celebrity

Oddometer:
    I’m late to the party Cord, but if you haven’t sourced a slider yet wemoto sell ‘em. (Oops, just seen you’ve got one.)

https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/xl_600_re/84/picture/chain_slider_-_swinging_arm

I bought one not long ago. Pattern part (CMSNL branded) decent quality.
  7. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
    Wemoto (again) or Brooks Barn Parts (Google ‘em).

https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/xl_600_re/84/picture/gear_lever
  8. Cord

Cord Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep I found the CMSNL version. For a pattern part I was super impressed with its quality. Fits spot on. Thanks for the heads up on the shifter, I’ll see how I get on with the XR650 item. Cheers for that.
  9. Chobro

Chobro spinning the wheel

Oddometer:
    So I hacked my original muffler to make the supertrapp work, it has been this way for a while and now I think it’s too loud.

Can anyone recommend a quieter pipe? Just go back to stock?

Thanks. Here are some pics.

81EC6472-FC61-40C5-86F7-974E7396D42B.jpeg 972E9546-C7B4-4AFB-B219-22A1BD6D3722.jpeg
  10. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    ugh one of those traps....yeah its gunna be LOUD, and i dont think you can add "plates" like the old tuneable ones

imo if you want louder, while staying true to the bike the only option is the vintage style super traps or the OE unit..........in the last 20 years i cant say i have heard a single can on a dirt bike that isnt obnoxiously loud.....its like everything after the ole supertrap design just was about flow F the noise control
    Chobro likes this.
  11. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    https://www.bestmotorcyclebits.com/best-32-exhaust-baffles/
    I dont know what size your outlet is, but I had real good success at slipping an louvered insert in the muffler. I cant seem to find the company that used to make or stock a bunch of different sizes and lengths. The directional louvers , like a cheese grater type, worked well. It took away the loudness but still had great flow/performance. I would usually order a real long insert and cut it down to the length I needed or have 2 this way.(cut in half) The louvers need to point back or in other words, trying to stick something in the outlet/louver end would cut and the other end would be smoothish(inlet). The very 1st one I made I had backwards and thought the exhaust pressure needed to get split up into the grates. Oops live & learn. If it is still too loud for you, I'd try restricting by using a bushing outlet down to 3/4" hole. Just make shift something to try before welding in permanently. Heck even a big flat washer could be used for a test. Then if it works right, you'll have the dimensions to have a machine shop make up something that would insert nicely, & look good. https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=bushing+1.5+x+1%22&iax=images&ia=images
    Chobro likes this.
  12. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    can atest to the flat fender washer, working very well on my wifes fmf on her 400ex, the end was bent just enough i found one that fit and just opening up the center hole till it was good but not obnoxious
    Chobro likes this.
  13. Chobro

Chobro spinning the wheel

Oddometer:
    Thank you both for the feedback, I’ll give it a try. Makes sense and definitely fits the budget!
  14. Cord

Cord Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So the tracker is coming along a treat, actually got her running today, next up is a small airbox, still haven’t tackled the wiring. To be honest I’m just avoiding it!

Anyway, I need a rear sprocket. I think stock gearing is 15 / 42 on a 17”?? rear wheel. Mine is now 19”, and I’ve got a brand new 15t front I’d like to use. The bike will mainly be used on the road, so should I be replicating stock gearing?
    Its 10 years since I rode a standard XL, so I can’t really remember what it was like. I figure my rear wheel is now approx 10% bigger on diameter than stock, so I probably need to go up 4 teeth to keep things similar?
    View attachment 2571795 A8D58755-0622-4BEB-8C78-27DF3202712D.jpeg

Attached Files:

15. jdlcruiser

jdlcruiser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have a question for the crew. I tore my 86 apart several years ago after a cam adjusting nut came off, lodged under the cam and cracked the head. At the time, the only head I could find was for a 500.

Since, I have found a complete 1983. My question is what is the best combination? Had the 83 valves lapped and blasted for paint. What makes the most sense on my 86 for compression release? I’ve searched a bit and the answers seem to be all over the board.

thank you in advance.
  16. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    the 83's properly tuned and when the decomp is also properly setup it works like a dream, so well that a totaly fresh engine can be started by HAND and arm

the 86 250 i had i could never get its decomp setup right no matter how much i tryed
    jdlcruiser likes this.
  17. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Adventurepig and JimRidesThis like this.
  18. JimRidesThis

Oddometer:
  19. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    unless someone painstakingly went thru and weathered everything "just right" or restored it in oh the mid 90s id actualy say its un touched, look at the wear on the bars n such..it looks untouched to me
    Adventurepig likes this.
  20. 12120

12120 Unwittingly Domesticated

Oddometer:
    For sale for what it’s worth to me! 2500
    Just not getting ridin, always on the dirt bike
    Comes with a bunch of upgrades and dual carb Honda parts spares etc Pm me I give you my number we can talk

Chris 366A8640-37EE-4F0D-8C10-07690E95E7EF.jpeg
    bork likes this.