The XL600 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Gregster, Jul 6, 2007.

1. 12120

12120 Unwittingly Domesticated

Oddometer:
    Just go with the manual one. All I have used for years, never liked the way you can’t seem to find TDC with the auto style.
    bork likes this.
  2. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    dude just take the street gear off..or "tuck" it like i did mine and throw dirt tires all around and RIDE, thats what i did, and yet its still plated(colectors 1 time fee) and insured so "if" i want to i can
  3. marmisto

marmisto n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm just about to build a slightly custom XL600 and want to put an electric start on it.
    I've got a running PD03E engine and I've also got a partial PD04E engine and I'm trying to figure out what options I have...
    Can I slap the left hand cover with all the starter gubbins from the PD04 onto the PD03? will I need to swap out the drive ring behind the alternator or will the PD04 fit on the crankshaft?
    Can I drop the PD03 top end onto the PD04?
    I like the idea of having leccy and kick start...

Red bike is of my latest fun build: Link to article: http://www.bikebound.com/2020/09/10/twin-shock-650/

Attached Files:

4. dixda

dixda Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just putting my 87 to bed. It's late October with temp at 40F, 8 kicks (with priming kicks) gets real old on this old bod(64yr wuss). Looking forward to those two days in February when it gets to 50F for an hour out of the shade. Such is life on the left coast of, "The Great White North" 1200' above sea level in the interior.
  5. SPEIRMOOR

SPEIRMOOR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thinking of dipping my toes in the XL600 world.
    Anyone selling an '86 XL600R on the east coast shoot me a pm.
    Gotta be an '86 tho, I like the gold bits.
    All leads appreciated also
  6. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    the gold bits are swapable, and...imo the early red models with the gold bits look WAY better, hell at this point tho count your blessings if you can find one of ANY year, then get, upgrade to taste and get the bits re-golded since youll want the longer swinger, and probably the xr forks maybe disc rear? 18inch rear..and now youve only got the gold front wheel remaining
  7. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    funny thing is..im left coast and itching to dig mine out for winter riding course im not that far above sea level..tho i do ride up higher than that as well as all the way down to just barely above sea level...sounds to me like you need to dial in the tune, mine starts 2 kicks in no matter what, be it below freezing or abouve comfort(80f+)...the ONLY time i have any issues is if i let it die while warming up anything before or after is as easy as it should be
    bork and dixda like this.
  8. SPEIRMOOR

Oddometer:
    Tell me more about the longer swing arm. When was that introduced ?
  9. Thegreenhornkid

Thegreenhornkid n00b

Oddometer:
    Howdy everyone! I have an issue with my 1983 Honda Xl600r. I picked this bike up for $100. Everything is there and ready to be reassembled. I found the reason, I believe, why the PO used it for a parts bike. At some point someone threw a chain which hit the left crankcase cover, busted the top/ back open where the clutch shifter cam is located and for some reason, although the shifter cam and the orifice it sits in don't seem to be damaged, the shifter and the dowel-like shift barrel that would activate the shift rod to engage the clutch are both frozen. I have tried a heat, penetrant combination to get things loose so I can take it apart for an assessment of damage and although I have been able to get the shift cam to budge, the shift barrel will not budge! These cases being magnesium, I don't want to be too forceful even though the case is damaged already. The broken area I feel I might be able to cover with some thick rubber since the damage is to the area where the stator wires come out anyways. Left hand crankcase covers are near impossible to find online or if you do, are pretty expensive. Anyone know how I might able to budge things loose? Any help is appreciated! JPEG_20201023_161840_4552686260556515546.jpg JPEG_20201023_161911_5905476174086147848.jpg JPEG_20201023_161948_8937285990836270118.jpg
  10. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    if im understanding you correctly its the "pin" in the case keeping the whole shaft from coming out that your having issues with right?

if thats he case...your probably in for quite the fight as i half wonder if the chain hit pushed the case just enough to hold it tight

how much heat have you tried?...if it was me i would toss it in the oven to about 300deg, pull it out HOT and try and work the pin by rotating it in place first and then trying to use the clutch pull to force it out....if it wails to come out repeat till it does, and hit it with some ATF while its cooling
    this is my personal method for dealing with stuck brake calipers and its yet to fail me, if needed you can go all the way to around 450 but your welding gloves wont take much of that so figureing out how to work at that kind of heat is the real trick
  11. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    all of the "aluminum arm" XR's have a longer swinger so 85?ish on, as i know my 84 is steel and i think 85 was a 50/50 split but a 250 and a 600 is the same part..its a popular mod, tho it typicaly requires the loss of your crush drive hub and 17inch wheel, i found my own way around that, then of course if you go into the 90s when the xr went disc that whole setup is a bolt on as well, forks can be swapped but you swap the stem and lose your mounts for well everything, pnce you start digging thru this thread and seeing what kind of swapable upgrades are availible it gets pretty crazy
  12. dixda

dixda Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The thing sits for a while as THIS year has been different. For the stall before warmed up thing, I give her 10 kicks with full open throttle while holding decomp in then do the past TDC thing. It works well.
  13. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    that sounds like how mine was BEFORE i got the tune more close to perfection, now i can let her sit for months, give her 1 slow cycle of decomp WOT and then kick with the choke on and she will spring to life, your right about this year being different LOL, but me and my wife dont ride offroad in the summer, between the dust, the more ppl out, and potential for fire, then there is the heat factor...we love our rain, mud, snow cold gloomy weather...and heavy waterproofed gear..once the temps start poking into 75-80+ we call it for the season

id rather eat mud than dust any day, and my wife agrees to that as well as im useualy the lead dog, unless its snow then she cuts a path on her 400ex and i ride her ruts in the deeeep stuff
  14. 12120

12120 Unwittingly Domesticated

Oddometer:
    XR600 ones are the same. Should be easy to find that.
  15. Thegreenhornkid

Thegreenhornkid n00b

Oddometer:
    Well I got everything out. Used heat and penetrant. There was some grit from either the magnesium case or the steel parts and there was some wear to actuator dowel but I think it will be serviceable with some light buffing, thorough cleaning, and liberal amounts of grease during reassembling. Most engines have the clutch actuator on the left crankcase NOT the crankcase cover but oh well, case solved!
  16. SPEIRMOOR

Oddometer:
    I took your advice and bought an '87. Its the white which I love albeit without the gold bits. Ill wait til it gets delivered to see what I'll do about that
    dixda likes this.
  17. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    oil only no grease if its still "tight" then youl will need to clearance it
  18. bork

bork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why not grease?
  19. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    the issue of running grease is the potential for it to gum up is higher than just oiling it, or that was my understanding, honestly if with a lil oil on it it doesnt fall in and out its not "right"
  20. lookfar

lookfar from the land of OZ Supporter

Oddometer:
    This will fit it
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1987-Ho...361103&hash=item595a336a73:g:Vc0AAOSwLwhfh4jQ