The XLV750R Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by sharkey, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Two Plugs

Two Plugs Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great new posting. Great reading material. And great to see this topic coming alive again! :clap
  2. arcaneman

arcaneman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just purchase a early 83 XLV750r (Vin 238) although has not been delivered. I am looking for suggestions to remedy any known problems inheritant with the bike. Better oil, modifications etc. It has been represented as having no problems, and if true I would like to keep it that way. The bike has 14K KM on the clock. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Also looking for suggestions on hard saddlebags that will work with the bike.

Regards
    Michael USA
  3. Bell driver

Bell driver Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb

She is fairly maintenance free.

-The CDI exciter coils will fail at some point in time. You can have the stator rewound or exchange against a battery powered Ignitech unit and just keep running the old stator.
    That unit gives you a whole new engine, snappy and responsive!
    http://ignitech.cz/en/vyrobky/dccdip2/dccdip2.htm

-Some red engines have problems with 3rd/4th gear failure. $$$
    -The suspension is crap. Wilbers in Germany have rear shocks and fork springs readily available.BIG improvement.

-I mostly use 20w50 engine oil, mineral or synth, doesn't matter. On my last summer's ride (8000km in 4 weeks) she used 250 to 300ml/1000km.

-She feels well when you put in 3.3 to 3.5 Liter after an oil change.
    -The oil check procedure Mr. Honda describes is useless. It's a dry sump.
    This procedure works well:
    BEFORE the first start of the day sit on the bike and keep it level.
    Unscrew the lower dipstick, wipe it clean.
    Insert but do not screw back in. Pull out and the oil level should be about 1 to 2 cm ABOVE the max. mark. Then you're good.
    Don't bother checking the upper dipstick.

-Do not rely on the tank reserve. It's a weird construction. On some bikes it works, on others it doesn't.
    In order to find out how much reserve you have you need to run her dry and have a jerry can with you. There's the secret reserve in the right hand tank wing, of course.
    Like in the KLR650 some petrol remains in the right tank wing which can be used in an emergency (miscalculation on an Italian motorway...) by leaning her all the way over to the left side, rocking back and forth a bit (500lbs b!tch #*!"). Made it 8 km to the next station.

-Tyres
    She came with Battlewings when I bought her. Didn't like them in the rain, felt kinda scary. Then I had the idea that a big a$S enduro needs BIG knobbies, so I mounted TKC80.
    Looks bada$S and is great on gravel. Since I ride her 98% street I now use Conti Trail attacks, they stick like glue in the twisties.

-Melvin has steel braided brake lines in various colors.
    http://www.melvin.de/default.aspx?compPI=380&compCG=M&compEID=353&CT=1&TY=2&ST=2

-Front brake pads are TRWs MCB512 or EBCs FA069.
    -Brake rotor is a TRW MST205 or an EBC MD6044D.
    -Rear brake is a TRW MCS821 or an EBC H340.

Maintenance manual and parts catalog are available as pdf.

-Hepco & Becker have a pannier rack for the XLV but that is made of unobtainium, so I modified one from a GS500. Took a little welding and cutting/drilling of bushings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. ray3656

ray3656 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    + for the ignitech unit, fitted one years ago , and just bought another for an Rf I am reviving , fired up first time :clap
  5. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
    Fuel Tank repaired.

Got the head gaskets from Switzerland, once the heads were off looks pretty tired.

Now I need to source some 1st oversize pistons and rings.

Any suggestions?? :dunno

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Old fart

Old fart Keen AG100 rider

Oddometer:
    Anybody seen an XLV with upsidedown forks? The originals do flex a bit, might be interesting with a decent set of USDF and a 19" with twins disks?
  7. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
    Well I now have an oversize piston kit coming from Europe

should be here in 10 days.

PM me if you are looking for a source

Also chatting with Staintune about a run of exhausts for the XLV750 too.

Let me know if you are interested. Reckon there will only be one chance :deal
  8. John_belushi

John_belushi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello,

I drive normally most in the city .. sometimes on a ring road with us where you can not go quickly .. (I drive quite well-behaved)
    Yesterday I had a dozen kilometers on the highway .. no problem I can do that .. but now I noticed that at 100km / h there is almost no more gas left .. So if I give full throttle than I eventually go 120km / h but I it take some time to get there.
    The raising is fine just as it should in my opinion ... but the speed seems to be gone ..

In the past also had a XLV750R and I can them to me Remember that the 140km / h was no problem ..

Does anyone know what could be wrong with it???

regards,
    Jody
  9. Old fart

Oddometer:
    Carby diaphragm?
  10. John_belushi

John_belushi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That are those rubber thingies on the carb??
    Can I check them for leakages or cracks??
  11. Old fart

Oddometer:
    The only way I know is to pull the carbs and have a look at the diaphragms, sometimes the holes take some tracking down look carefully.
  12. david nesbitt

david nesbitt n00b

Oddometer:
    Dont know if I'm crazy or not.
    I just purchased a 87 XLV 750r, although the engine seems to be Running ok ( I ride it most days) the rest of the Bike is going to need a full restoration.
    anyone know how many there are left in New Zealand?
    Cheers David.
  13. arcaneman

arcaneman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. Still waiting on bike. Just courious did the the XLV come with the kickstand safety feature.. Has to be up to start. or before placed in gear… Thanks, Mike
  14. Old fart

Oddometer:
    XLV's in this country (Staylya) didn't have any safety switch on the stand.
  15. arcaneman

arcaneman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bike got here. Put gas in, and fully charged battery …nothing put faint click. I do not know how old battery is? Looks fairly new. Starter won even turnover just click This a not good. Any suggestion would be appreciated
  16. Old fart

Oddometer:
    Yoo need to go back to basics and follow through, check battery and go from there. If the battery has enough power/voltage then follow the power through until it stops somewhere. Sounds like the battery not enough guts.
  17. Old fart

Oddometer:
    Interesting the new twin by Honda is about the same weight as an XLV but chain drive, shows to go how far ahead of it's time the XLV was.
  18. John_belushi

John_belushi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello Guys,
    I need help!!
    Mine bike's battery is not charged when I drive...
    I checked the battery and he is fine (four months old)
    I replaced the SR (rectifer/charger) and still it is not charging.
    Measured the dynamo resistance and this is 1,2 Ohm between all the yellow wires, and 1 Ohm to the frame/gnd.
    Measured the outgoing voltage from the dynamo ( I did it the first time but the multimeter was on the wrong scale) and I measured 12,5VAC @6000rpm....
    How can I fixed this??? And what do I need to fix? Rewinding the coils??? Changing the magnets?? What I am clueless at this point........

Regards,
    Jody
  19. arcaneman

arcaneman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got a couple more questions if you don't mind. I need to rework the carbs, what carb kit do you use? and where do you find. It is apparent that I will not find in USA, but have heard the gaskets and float needle assembly are the same has a lot of the VF 700/1000 models. Also what Weibers shock did you install the 540 series or 640 series. Also looking for air cleaner replacement as well. Thanks, I appreciate any help. Mike Oh would like to touch up swing arm paint …have you found a good match for those parts.
  20. Bell driver

Bell driver Long timer

Oddometer:
    Having the parts catalog is imperative.You can then just enter the part# into the search engine.
    Carb kit is 16010-me9-671 and still available at partzilla.
    Float set 16013-mb0-671,
    Float valve set 16011-422-004
    The air filter is a bit tricky. I think Tim has a solution. There are two versions of air cleaner, which one do you have? The stand alone unit or the one with the outer foam filter?

I have the 640 Wilbers in the XLV as well as the GenII KLR. Love them. Thinking about putting one in the XR as well...
    There might be another rebate event this year which would save you up to 28% on shocks and fork springs when ordering in October.
    Try here: info (at) mot-tei >dot< de or here: http://twshomepage.beepworld.de/wilbers-rabatt.htm (use google translate).