The XLV750R Thread

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by sharkey, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Two Plugs

Two Plugs Long timer

Oddometer:
    Using OldFaithfull I to comute isnt really a bad thing, lol.

20190617_155326.jpg 20190617_155250.jpg
    Fat Toney and DevilTrekker like this.
  2. Two Plugs

Two Plugs Long timer

Oddometer:
    Working for the 33rd National Open Heritagedays & European Heritagedays this weekend and taking Old Faithfull II this time. Where is everyone?

FB_IMG_1568493286503.jpg
    FB_IMG_1568493255893.jpg
    FB_IMG_1568493261888.jpg
    FB_IMG_1568493249657.jpg FB_IMG_1568493266113.jpg
    FB_IMG_1568493273343.jpg
    Fat Toney likes this.
  3. mazinger

mazinger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello
    I am new to this thread (not to Adventure Rider), because I have just purchased one of my long lasting dreams, a nice '85 Honda XLV 750 R....
    I have already read all 34 pages of this thread and I would like to thank you very much to all of you for your generous knowledge! I hope I will also be able to contribute to this thread!
    This is my bike, and since I am finishing to restore an XL 600 LM, she will have to wait a few weeks before I can start working on her. I know that it is not historically accurate but I love the three colours scheme and I will be changing colors sooner or later...

[​IMG]

One question about the air scoops....can you suggest me any where or any one to supply them? (original or not) Has anyone tried to make them by 3D printing?

Thank you and regards from Spain

Miguel
    (Madrid)
    Two Plugs and DevilTrekker like this.
  4. Two Plugs

Two Plugs Long timer

Oddometer:
    WOOF Miguel, yours looks even more tight than mine! Congrats with the bike. Airscoops are a rare thing, just as gaskets these days. Managed to purchase 2 original rims and mirrors 10 years ago, but these days its mission impossible... Got the carbs from my '84 restored XLV (with the red engine) from an old Honda Shadow. Same unit, much wider available but with a total different parts-number.

And please... keep this original colour schema. A pristine XLV as yours is as rare as a black pearl so don't mess around with it because of 'looks'... You will simply destroy its historical significance... Try to purchase a blue-white-red one in stead (as I did, lol). Every now and then, one pops up in France where XLV's have been quite popular in the early '80.

Very much interested in your XL600LM restoration. Do you got the version with the double round headlights?
    Unfortunately this topic is a tad running on low fuel... time to revive it and for me, the XL600LM is invited to be part of the fun!
  5. mazinger

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your comments, Two plugs!
    Unfortunatelly XLV 750 were never officially imported to Spain, so they are really really rare...
    My XLV 750 is not as pristine as you can guess by the photos, as she rested for a decade in the Balearic Islands so rust traces and oxide dots appear everywhere, so she will have to go thru stripping and painting sooner or later...and since I have quitted searching for the RD01 tricolored and my RF model was better (or at least that's what I have read), easier thing for me is to paint it as I have really liked that bike scheme always...
    In my stable sleeps also an '89 Africa Twin 650, totally restored and used, and a white ´86 Transalp (first series with rear drum brake) and together with the XL600LM they will make a really nice quartet of tricolored bikes!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...Well, XL is now like this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope to finish the XL in a month or so...then it will be the turn for the Transalp and then the 750....too much time needed, so little time available! (I also have to take care of the family...)

Rgds
    Miguel
    SPAIN
    Two Plugs likes this.
  6. Two Plugs

Two Plugs Long timer

Oddometer:

Impressive stable you got there! Love the MK1 Transalp, look like new
  7. Two Plugs

Two Plugs Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. mazinger

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Twoplugs!
    The Transalp is in perfect mechanical condition, but it needs a total aesthetical restoration, it is really in bad shape, although you can not see it in the pictures...
    About prices of XLV750, they are a good investment, in Spain they are really scarce and the last one I saw at the market was priced at 8000€, and it took only a couple of weeks to be sold. It was a really good restoration of a three colored RD01...
  9. Old fart

Old fart Keen AG100 rider

Oddometer:
    IMG_0304~photo.JPG
    IMG_0311~photo.JPG
    Put some new tyres on, these Shinko's are the best tyres I've had on the XLV. Brillant on the dirt/gravel and solid on the tar.