The XR400 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Hayduke, Jan 16, 2008.

1. The Patagonia Kid

The Patagonia Kid gnarly adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the compliment ... I tend to care a lot for my machines.
    I have been changing my tubeless BMW spoke wheels tires for over 20 years ... and not using the guards would be very damaging ...
    Now changing tires on the XR rims was a child's play to break the bead / remove them. :-)
  2. molnar.b

molnar.b Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was right to think that one of the previous owners set the preload too soft, just measured it.
    111 [mm] of 'race' sag, and that could be higher (low on gas, not in full riding gear, just boots helmet and jacket, plus I lost some weight/muscle during this hellish covid lockdown due to my climbing gym being closed and an awful lot of stress)
    60 [mm] of static sag (just the bikes weight on its own)
    From what I could find on the forums, race sag should be between 95-105 [mm], static sag 30-40 [mm] (?, can't remember exactly). Since I ride mostly on asphalt and dirt roads, and with the CRF450 front end I think I'll aim for a hair under 100 [mm] for the race sag.
    So tomorrow I'll tear down the rear, set the shock and hope that I nailed it first time :D
    By the way, roughly how big of a difference does 1 turn of the nut make in sag?
  3. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    One turn is worth a disappointing amount of adjustment. Get comfy. It's gonna take a minute :D
  4. NSFW

NSFW who else would love noobs? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    after i shortened my suspension, now it has 10" of travel, i set my rider sag (full gear and tools) at 70 - 80 mm
    molnar.b likes this.
  5. molnar.b

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I did the stuff i could while some parts were on the way. I set the race sag to ~90 [mm] and the static sag became 25 [mm].
    Excited to see how will the bike handle now
  6. molnar.b

Oddometer:
    I rode just over 130 kms today, everything worked flawlessly. The bike handled really well, still comfortable, but turns much sharper. It is still stable at higher speeds, up to 110 km/h at least. New front brakes behaved well also, JT rotor with Brembo sintered pads. Had some trouble getting out the pad retaining screw and cap, but with some heat and hours of blasting it with various penetrating fluids I won in the end :D
    The oil level did not drop a single milimeter, so extremely satisfied overall. With the leaner jetting, I think the oil on the cylinder walls stays there and doesn't get wwashed down by the mixture. Also, the exhaust gases smell less petrol-like.
    And yes, I'm the kind of guy who puts threadlocker on a nyloc nut :D

Attached Files:

The Patagonia Kid, dlock5 and Cabrito like this.
  7. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    JT makes rotors? I had no clue! Glad to hear the bike is coming around for your.
    molnar.b likes this.
  8. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll bet it turns very quick and the shock feels stiff.
    molnar.b likes this.
  9. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb
    The Patagonia Kid likes this.
  10. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice little trailer but I don't see a place for gas cans. ???
  11. molnar.b

Oddometer:
    They do, apparently. For the CRF450R at least. Seems nice quality, I wonder how will it hold up.
  12. The Patagonia Kid

Oddometer:
    For now I am moving de can in my trunk ... usually I trailer the bike to my friend that owns the big ass toy hauler, believe me there is enough space for just about anything!
    If I were to travel long distances with it then have to get a can on it.
    After we go riding get the bike back home to do the servicing and leave it ready for the next call ... :happay
  13. The Patagonia Kid

Oddometer:
    So last week call of the wild ... took it for a spin at Kennedy Meadows ... I have been there with my XR250R before.
    The 400 did not disappoint, always started on the first or second kick and run flawlessly. The oldest pilot / bike in the group although I managed to make it! All in all a great adventure ... now going through the process to clean, change oil, filter cleaning and some other tuning bits to be ready. :beer
    Following de advice of my off road rider friend, installed a rear IRC Gekkota VE 33S, softer compound that made a big difference in traction climbing rocks ...
    XR 400 Kennedy Meadows ride 4.jpg XR 400 Kennedy Meadows ride 10.jpg XR 400 Kennedy Meadows ride 11.jpg XR 400 Kennedy Meadows ride 12.jpg XR 400 Kennedy Meadows ride 13.jpg XR 400 Kennedy Meadows ride 17.jpg
    nacho squatcho, Bhart89, Bors and 7 others like this.
  14. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Soft compound rears are magic :clap Nice pics, man. Glad you had a good time out there.
  15. The Patagonia Kid

Oddometer:
    again in the ICU being ready for next time out ! :clap
  16. The Patagonia Kid

Oddometer:
    After finishing servicing the bike also cut the front fender about 3 to 4 inches ... now is ready ... :-)
    XR400R 28.jpg
    Yeti2ride and cmbthumper like this.
  17. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sold the carb, sorry for those who missed out.
  18. portero72

portero72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don’t have an XR anymore, but someone should jump on this, especially at this price. The pumper on my old bike solved the only real problem I ever had with it. Well worth the money.
  19. beewill

beewill Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone happen to have an old front axle assembly laying around? Specifically I am looking for the front axle holder sleeve. These have been discontinued and no replacement part that I can find anywhere. I recently picked up a 01' in great shape but going through it I'm not sure many of the bolts have ever been removed as they have all been a bear to get off. The axle is fused to the sleeve and no amount of PB Blaster, heat, impact, etc. can get the axle out. I was going to cut it apart but the holder sleeve isn't available anymore. I'd of course be willing will to send $ for part and shipping if you happen to have one.
    upload_2021-7-7_9-50-31.png
  20. German Trick

German Trick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check your inbox.
    Stretch67 likes this.