The XR400 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Hayduke, Jan 16, 2008.

1. molnar.b

molnar.b Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No such thing as overkill plateholders, mine is machined out of a 10mm thick sheet of POM :D

Attached Files:

The Patagonia Kid likes this.
  2. The Patagonia Kid

The Patagonia Kid gnarly adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh I like it ! that's a fine part. :-)
  3. The Patagonia Kid

Oddometer:
    More XR stuff ... :rofl
    Looking at the headlight options I realized I like the project done by JMo (&piglet), hence will try to follow the same procedure and install the Vision X lights inside the XR fairing. At first will go for the stock one, have an extra that I can use for the project. Worse case scenario will have to spend the $$$ and purchase the XR650R version ... hope not.
    Also because the LED's require DC will replace the stock regulator and install the RR167. Tail light will try keeping the low profile stock swapping the bulb with a 1157 LED. Still in brainstorming mode for the "dual purpose wiring" ... because I don't like messing with that much I might purchase the Tusk kit and see how it goes.
    Also purchased the book / sheet holder ... I could not keep my paws off it and already made a little modification. My take is now a days many riders have a "ram" ball attachment and this is convenient, then removed the original clamp. :-)
    XR400R 34.jpg XR400R 35.jpg XR400R 38.jpg
    viducce, Yeti2ride, dlock5 and 3 others like this.
  4. PHX_Joe

PHX_Joe Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool.

The Tusk kit works well enough, but if you're swapping to DC - I'd get rid of their battery and hard wire it. But then you could stitch together any number of lights from ebay/amazon (Tusk is china too) at (I think) far less scratch.

Tusk doesn't even have a USB charger available for their battery for charging from a booster pack on longer trips. Not life threatening at all, but the only alternative is a spare $40 battery. Otherwise it's been fine.

Great mods... well done!
  5. The Patagonia Kid

Oddometer:
    Hi PHX_Joe,
    This morning purchased the Tusk ... (China arrgggggggggggg darn it). Really not sure yet about using the battery and you might be right about hard wiring it. I am not an electrical wizard, although I imagine that if I need to feed (while the bike is running) let's say a GPS or something I can always get the power from the main headlight feed ???
    Any tips always appreciated.
    Godspeed.
  6. The Patagonia Kid

Oddometer:
    More $$$
    This morning after a couple of hours tinkering with the XR stock fairing to try installing the Vision lights; gave up and bit the bullet!
    On order already ... :fpalm no looking back now!
    XR400R 39.jpg
    JMo (& piglet) likes this.
  7. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    Not to stir up trouble, but I've been running LEDs on AC voltage for quite a few years now. Cheap eBay specials, Cyclops H4 conversion bulbs, trailer marker lights ( aka cheapo taillight). Yeah, it pulses at idle, but they work fine.

Not saying it's the way to go. I've been told it's trouble waiting to happen. But I've got some bright headlights on some battery-less bikes that were cheap and I didn't have to chop up any stock wiring harnesses. $0.02
  8. saltyD

saltyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yeh - it is trouble waiting to happen if you don't have a fuse in there.

I have a 200W stator and was using OEM split AC/DC system with LED headlight on the AC.

It worked fine for a while.. but then a combination of the decreased load (LED vs. bulb, so the AC regulator had to soak up more current) and shitty plugs caused an over-voltage condition on the AC circuit.
    Normally, that just ends up with blown bulbs, but the LED driver in the headlight fried short circuit which then melted a bunch of the other plugs and wiring.

I stupidly didn't put a fuse in the headlight circuit. At least make sure you fuse anything that can fail in a mode other than open-circuit.

I ended up stripping out the harness and going full DC with the two 100W stator phases feeding an aftermarket 3-phase reg/rect for a KTM and a little fuse block behind the fairing.

For general putting around duties, I have a little 12V gel cell attached so the lights and blinkers work with the engine off. The system works fine without the battery, and I remove it if doing mainly offroad.
  9. Merlin44

Merlin44 XR400R & Africa Twin Supporter

Oddometer:
    Patagonia Kid, nice work on the XR. I rebuilt a '99 several years ago, frame up, but not near as nice as that.
    Ricky Stator was the one I used, and it's been good. Have not converted anything to LED, yet, but would like to.
    I kept the wiring harness for ignition, but rewired everything else from scratch. Fuse block on the back of the front number plate, cheapy headlight switch, but it works. Regulator under the seat and a Batteries+ battery in the airbox. Found a good used speedometer from a Honda XL175, I think, and it works great - lighted, too. Have most of the parts to add the electric start sitting on the shelf for when I feel like making the change. Been too busy riding the Africa Twin, and only had the XR out once this year, but it still ran good. Have the BSR40 for it, but could not get it to run right. Cleaned completely, and mikuni rebuild parts, but just could not get it jetted right, or something. Seeing yours makes me want to go through mine again. And thinking back to ThrillBilly's build, well, you would need to see that one if you haven't. Mines plated, too, but I really like your plate holder. Mine gets buckled by the tire. It needs to be on top of the fender, but not sure what I would do for a license light. Thanks for showing your build up. Inspiring.
    Billy DSC_0706.JPG
  10. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Anyone interested in a pair of sumo rims and spokes? They are 4.25"-17 and 3.5"-17. Spokes and nipples are stainless steel from Buchanan's. They will lace to your stock hubs. No scars or scratches from tire spoons. They're mint. Can throw in a pair of properly sized tubes as well.

IMG_20210808_164836877.jpg IMG_20210808_165007658.jpg
  11. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Also have a stock muffler with the A1 spark arrestor taking up real estate in the shop. Needs a new home! IMG_20210808_172741763.jpg IMG_20210808_172927144.jpg
    The Patagonia Kid and cmbthumper like this.
  12. Cabrito

Cabrito Looking for work Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stretch67 likes this.
  13. cmbthumper

cmbthumper Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    PM sent
  14. The Patagonia Kid

Oddometer:

Guys,
    I really appreciate the comments / tips. My luck on this XR ... the fact that I know the owner (friend) and the bike from new WITH VERY LITTLE USE; then I think have many years to enjoy it.
    I choose to buy the DC regulator and skip changing the stator for now. Seems that using all LED's the bike produces enough juice; I am learning as I go.
    As another inmate wrote ... "LONG LIVE THE XR" ! :-)
    Stretch67, Merlin44 and cmbthumper like this.
  15. Johnnyboxer

Johnnyboxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMG_1498.jpg

You want the European no plate holder
  16. saltyD

saltyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    these work surprisingly well. Can be found in many places.

I slipped a short piece of snug-fitting clear tube over them to keep the water out.

[​IMG]
    Merlin44 and The Patagonia Kid like this.
  17. The Patagonia Kid

Oddometer:
    Man that's a really cool picture of country side and the right tool to roam around! :-)
    Johnnyboxer likes this.
  18. The Patagonia Kid

Oddometer:
    Is there anyone riding with the 4 gallon IMS tank that can give me a ballpark MPG or miles per tank ?
    I understand that is a tricky question, many variables at play. In all honesty I don't know my bike well enough yet and so far only have ridden trails with the stock tank. Already purchased a 5.8 gal Acerbis, although not ready to test that bad boy yet! :hide
  19. Johnnyboxer

Johnnyboxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    XR400R ~ It’s a great ‘mooching’ bike & being fully road legal here in uk makes a great trip out for a day
    I was out on Sunday last,for the first time in ages IMG_2471.jpg
    IMG_2474.jpg
    IMG_2476.jpg
    IMG_2478.jpg
    IMG_2480.jpg
    gammel, Stretch67, cmbthumper and 5 others like this.
  20. The Patagonia Kid

Oddometer:
    Johnnyboxer likes this.