The XR400 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Hayduke, Jan 16, 2008.

1. The Patagonia Kid

The Patagonia Kid gnarly adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have to mention that after all the reading I did before working on the carb, the first thing I purchased was the XR's only choke plate and replaced the original ... peace of mind! :-)
    Stretch67 likes this.
  2. Stretch67

Stretch67 Mad Scientist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I replaced mine also, but with a home-made item fabricated from 1/8" aluminum. I hadn't had any problems with the factory part, and most people don't, but it's that one chance in ten-thousand that nags in the back of your head when you're forty miles from the nearest public road. :lol2
    The Patagonia Kid likes this.
  3. cmbthumper

cmbthumper Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^ Me too. My luck sucks donkey nuts and Read about the choke plate upon XR400 bike purchase, put in an XR's only plate, switched to a pumper and then when I bought my XR600 I put it in that carb.

My XR's just flat out work because they NEVER make a thought in the back of my head.
    Stretch67 and The Patagonia Kid like this.
  4. The Patagonia Kid

Oddometer:
    Guys ... I believe this is one of those " better be safe than sorry " cases ... :rofl
    cmbthumper likes this.
  5. Stretch67

Oddometer:
    Indeed. But in today's world of fuel-injected bikes (with computers) and liquid cooling (with electric fans), the reputation of an XR250 or 400 for stone-axe reliability is a comfort unto itself. The little things we do to improve an already exceptionally-designed bike, although antiquated by present standards, is just icing on the cake.

The only thing I would do to really, REALLY improve my XR400 is to make it electric start.

Oh wait, I did that. :imaposer
    Guano11, flybynite, tuscan and 3 others like this.
  6. The Patagonia Kid

Oddometer:
    I needed to decompress a bit / kill time, then got to play with the clutch perch ... little kid could not leave it alone!
    The CRF second hand part is in good shape, although wanted to make sure the clutch lever bolt could be removed ... I realized I am not the only one that probably had a difficult time with it. Hence drill the old bolt / cut and pushed it out; a new one had to replace it. For now will use stock lever but a shorty will be on order! :-)
    Unfortunately the lever that was on the bike will not work ... bummer !!! :permazot
    XR400R 49.jpg XR400R 51.jpg XR400R 52.jpg
    Kit_XL, cmbthumper and Cabrito like this.
  7. tuscan

tuscan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Recent local ride...
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  8. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    The only reoccurring issue I had with my XR was cylinder studs pulling out of the cases. I helicoiled them, and those pulled. I've used hundreds of helicoils and never had I've fail. Aluminum heads on drag cars, we heli'd everything right out of the box. Anyway, when the hekicoils pulled out of the XR cases I was forced to used larger thread repair inserts. Just installing them I could tell they weren't going to last. The metal of the cases was just so soft.

I was at the point where maybe my individual cases happened to be a bad alloy, so I considered hunting down a TRX engine, but I threw in the towel. I kinda miss that bike. I loved the exhaust note, and yeah, it was dang reliable overall. When stripping off the goodies to sell the bike I rode it a couple more times without the hydraulic clutch setup. Man, if anyone rides tight woods, just spend the $250-300. A Magura clutch setup on a XR4 puts the stiff ass factory installed hydraulic clutch on my current bike to shame.

An 11:1 XR4 with a stage 1 cam and a juice clutch is stupid fun and easy to ride for cheap. I see people throw hundreds and hundreds of dollars at little doodads that just weigh a bike down. It triggers me, but I bite my tongue :lol3 XR4 has good bones. A few small tweaks really gets a lot out of em.
    Guano11 and Stretch67 like this.
  9. Stretch67

Oddometer:
    I bought a Magura master / slave cylinder from an Inmate, but later scored a RevLoc auto clutch. Shwing! :clap
    Cabrito, cmbthumper and shinyribs like this.
  10. ewbarger

ewbarger Hondarider69

Oddometer:
    I have a 2003 xr400r and can't part with it. I bought a crf450rl last year and love that bike but I still haven't fallen out of love with my 400 because of the no nonsense, reliability, and fun factor. My 400 is plated for now, but will probably retire it from road use because the crf450rl is so damn fun on the back roads and in town riding.
  11. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    A 450L is high on my list of wanted bikes. Really enjoyed the short time I spent on one, but felt the XR was still punchier down low. Mayb have been a gearing difference, I just know I had to work a little harder to wheelie the CRF. But man, what a smooth machine at highway speeds! Congrats dude, that's a great bike you got there!

I just dropped several thousand on a new tool toy, so no new bikes for me for a while :D
    cmbthumper likes this.
  12. Kit_XL

Kit_XL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Recent trip through Wales following some of the TET route with a friend on his Armstrong MT500. Two very different bikes but it made for a fun adventure. I had a blowout on the XR4 along Strata Florida, no phone signal but Pete took my rear wheel to a tyre place and had a new tube put in and returned 5 hours later. New tube was flat but the puncture was slow enough to keep on top of, and allowed us to get back to civilization. Must've nipped the tube on replacement.

View attachment 3166305 View attachment 3166306 View attachment 3166307 View attachment 3166308
    The Patagonia Kid and flybynite like this.
  13. cmbthumper

cmbthumper Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Kit,
    Photos give an error
  14. Kit_XL

Kit_XL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Whoops, let's see if that works. 20210819_140329.jpg IMG_20210819_132053.jpg 20210819_140309.jpg 20210818_151601.jpg IMG-20210817-WA0012.jpg
  15. tuscan

tuscan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    bread crates
    i thought only KLR riders did that...
    :rofl
    cmbthumper likes this.
  16. BornAgain

BornAgain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Milk Crate
  17. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Hey, I rock a milk crate on my FZ07 from time to time! All them holes make a lot of sense. :D

I prefer the term lightweight, aerodynamic polymer with multiple tiedown points and integrated drainage.
  18. Kit_XL

Kit_XL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm amazed by how well they held up. I dropped my bike several times but the crate is absolutely fine. I was away working immediately after that trip, and I acquired a free 50s bicycle. I travelled 290 miles with that on the back.

For the next trip I'd like to make some wrap-around soft luggage, to keep weight low down and so it's not in the way when I'm standing. Anyone got any photos for inspiration? IMG_20210903_101135.jpg
  19. Stretch67

Oddometer:
    Kit_XL and The Patagonia Kid like this.
  20. viducce

viducce Island Explorer

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    That fairing is looking good, may I ask where you ordered it?
    The Patagonia Kid likes this.