The XR400 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Hayduke, Jan 16, 2008.

1. The Patagonia Kid

The Patagonia Kid gnarly adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think is a good plan.
    Also in the near future I might try a mousse to see how that goes; for now will stick with the Michelin 4 mm wall inners. :-)
    Stretch67 likes this.
  2. cmbthumper

cmbthumper Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Definitely a good idea on the spare setup. When I bought my XR4 it came with a one time use complete wheel with a paddle tire on it. PO was from AZ.

I always wanted to try a trials type tire but being in Sumo format now it will have to wait. My dirt setup with the Shinko MX216 Fatty and Kenda Parker Desert running intermediate makes my XR4 on rails for my terrain. Very confident inspiring setup.

Ran nutec tublis on my KTM 500 and loved the low pressure adjustability but hated the maintenance. I had them professionally installed because I knew I would dork the install but lost F/R beads after letting it sit for only 2 weeks. That is on a stand too. My next tire change I'm going to try the mousse for sure.
  3. The Patagonia Kid

Oddometer:
    Here we go.
    Waited for the OEM part ordered from a vendor (ordered XR650L) ... more than two months finally got lucky on eBay and got me a used one from the XR650R in good shape.
    Almost 6" long to clear pretty much everything and have easy access.
    Modified the plate and voila! :hide
    XR400R 78.jpg XR400R 79.jpg XR400R 80.jpg XR400R 81.jpg
    Cabrito and Stretch67 like this.
  4. The Patagonia Kid

Oddometer:
    Now we are talking! :rofl
    XR400R 82.jpg
  5. Stretch67

Stretch67 Mad Scientist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, great mod.
    The Patagonia Kid likes this.
  6. Cabrito

Cabrito On the mend Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the XR650L one too, but didn't even think or know about the handy mounting plate. Mine just hangs or sometimes I feed it over the fuel line near the petcock. It's a must have for the larger tanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Stretch67

Stretch67 Mad Scientist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine is in that position as well. Easy to see from the saddle, easy to reach.
  8. The Patagonia Kid

Oddometer:
    Cool works too! :rofl
    Stretch67 likes this.
  9. tuscan

tuscan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great mod - I have the same tank and that extension would be gold dust..

What's this bracket for - I don't have this on my Xr400??...
    image.jpg
  10. tuscan

tuscan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This my 2003 NZ / Aussie model with full factory road legal kit as standard.

I reverted to the stock headlight as it was better than the aftermarket unit I had previously installed.

Only thing I changed now are the rear indicators that come off a KTM and are robust with a good flexible stem...
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  11. Undercover Poe

Undercover Poe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you running the brake light off your xr4’s stator?
  12. The Patagonia Kid

Oddometer:
    All the lights run off the stator. Connected the dual purpose kit loom to the rear Honda connector that has the 2 wires going to the tail light. Because all the lights are LED's the first thing I did was change the regulator rectifier to have DC power to the lights.
    If you look at the pic ... blue / green wires with black connector (original Honda loom). :-)
    Any more questions just shoot! :-)
    XR400R 70.jpg
  13. The Patagonia Kid

Oddometer:
    That bracket used to hold the canister for the "smog" system that the US bikes come with. :fpalm
    tuscan and Cabrito like this.
  14. bark sampler

bark sampler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What tail light socket and bulb did you use? Thanks for documenting all this, I’ve been thinking of getting my 400 street titled as that would fit how I’d be more likely to use it now, so really appreciate all the notes you’ve shared. Thank you!
  15. The Patagonia Kid

Oddometer:
    Bark sampler ...
    Have a look at page 733 on this thread and you will see a picture of my bulb set up.
    You can use the original and add one more wire to be used for the brake light switch with a 1157 double filament bulb or in my case utilized a 3 wire socket from and old Acerbis set up.
    The Tusk dual purpose kit has a 3 wire connector for the rear tail light ... all you have to do is plug in there and should be running. Off course need to add the brake switch to the master.
    Hope this hepls. :-)
    bark sampler likes this.
  16. The Patagonia Kid

Oddometer:
  17. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    What was the maintenance on the tublis? I suddenly decided to start pinching rear tubes this year after never having a flat tube in my life. I've gotten real good at slapping patches on :D

Been lightly considering going to a mousse or something.
  18. cmbthumper

cmbthumper Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No real "Maintenance" per se. I don't ride much but if i am lucky i get to once a week. The standard checking tire pressure got annoying on the high (Tubliss) and low pressure (Tire). I lost consistently 30psi on the high side a week and 4pis on the low side. On occasion the Motion Pro LiteLoc rim lock was loose but i was still breaking in my wheels on the KTM so may have been the reason. I'm forgetful and excited to ride so sometimes i would get half way to the trail and totally forget to check the high side. Turn around and go slow back home because if you loose the high side you better have some big ass zipties.

Once the bead was gone i was done with the system. Liked the concept but not for me. I run 3mm HD tubes now and can guarantee when i get a flat i will run the mousse soft 6-8psi as 8psi on the Tubliss was perfect for my terrain. The $$ diff between the Tubliss and Mousse is minimal IMO for a install and forget it of the Mousse. You can buy a lot of tubes vs either one but i don't have time for that Sh*t.
    shinyribs likes this.
  19. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    Welp, it never even occurred to me about the high pressure side losing air. For what they cost they oughta had that sorted out long ago. My bike rarely leaves my property anymore, so I really oughta do a mousse out back, but I can patch a tube and be riding in 20 minutes or so.

A buddy was over at my place riding and got a flat. He was annoyed and ready to pack it in. By the time he settled down and started pulling his gear off I'd fixed his tube and had him ready to go again. The look on his face :lol3

For all the complaining we do, tubes just keep on working. Helped a buddy sumo a WR450 and he brought the rims to me to lace. He was dead seat on diy tubeless with the tape and such. He barely rides the bike now because it's always got flat tires. Tried to give him a set of 17" tubes. Won't use em. Read online that they "ruin the feel" of the tires. Ugh.

Them mousses are tempting for us 5psi guys tho
    The Patagonia Kid and cmbthumper like this.
  20. tuscan

tuscan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been using Tubliss and Metzler MC5 on my 2003 XR400R for years now on single trail rides and i swear by them.
    Sure you check pressures before your ride but i always adjusted old style tube pressures depending on conditions anyway.
    For variable conditions they are a godsend - just run on 3-4psi in the outers and you can run through slick mud and still be good for rocky parts on the same trail...
    IMG_1374.JPG IMG_1372.JPG IMG_1373.JPG IMG_1412.JPG
    Highly recommended for single trail.
    Can't speak for road use though... sorry