The XT350 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Burtonridr, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Mountboy

Mountboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes. That is an alternative. I considered that last summer, but got too unsure for frying something (I guess the rectif. also take som watt/current)
  2. XT350Guru

XT350Guru Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rolling chassis on my xt350 fork swap.

Attached Files:

3. auto

auto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What are they off? Anything special to mount them up
  4. XT350Guru

XT350Guru Adventurer

Oddometer:
    check my post a few weeks ago (above). I talk about it there.
  5. Caperodder

Caperodder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, been reading and enjoying this forum for years. Never had anything to say, because most of my motorcycles are full off road, or extremely early vintage road bikes. That just changed.

I just took position of a FREE, 1995 XT350.

Here is the back story:

I was showing an old Indian moto of mine in a local show (2016), and met a young man who told me he had a motorcycle but it wasn't running. He took it in to our local shop, where he was promptly made fun of, and told "we ain't working on that thing, it would cost more than it's worth". He looked totally dejected. My wife gave me a look like "help the kid out". I told him I'd be happy to stop by with my pickup, grab the thing, and attempt to get it going for him. The primary failure was due to leaking carb manifold boots, but it also needed a battery, a chain, some bulbs, a spark plug, an oil change, tires etc. He purchased the parts, and I spent a Saturday getting it all together and it fired up and ran nicely. He was happy as a clam. I said to him, make sure you keep the chain lubed, some some fuel stabilizer in the tank over the winter months! He did exactly that, and from time to time, I'd see him out on the road with his prized possession.

Years go by, and he texts me he's off to college, and won't get to use the bike much, as he has no storage, no tools etc.

This year I get another text. "I'm afraid my machine will be ruined. It's been sitting under a tarp at my mom's house for the last two years, untouched. Please go pick it up....it's yours. Good karma says I.

I went and grabbed it, and it now sits in my garage, dead battery, chain frozen, not running, looking a little beat up.......and so my new adventure begins.

Battery and chain should arrive today.

Attached Files:

6. mentolio

mentolio King of the island of unwanted toys...

Oddometer:
    Good karma indeed!
  7. Caperodder

Caperodder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure I'll need a little help along the way. I've read this entire thread, and I'm reminded of the hokey electrical system, and carb setup. I'm soaking all of the bolts with Kroil etc. The current worry are the 4 exhaust bolts, as I'd like to clean up the header pipes and get some paint on them.
  8. Caperodder

Caperodder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New battery came in yesterday. Tail light, brakes lights, neutral light and horn works. Headlight TBD. Turn signals, nothing, so I'll start with the switch and check for corrosion. Gas tank is surprisingly clean. Petcock screens , (looking in the filler with a flashlight), look like they've picked up a little rust.

Chain will be here today, so I'll be giving it it's first kick in a couple of years. Really hoping the carb is still in good order. Even if it does run, I may tear it down for a cleaning.
  9. norton73

norton73 drinkin' in the garage Supporter

Oddometer:
    The headlight is run straight from the magneto, it only comes on when the bike is running.
  10. XT350Guru

XT350Guru Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The battery isn’t really required. The stator provides the power to the coil so it should start without a battery. I had no battery in one of mine for the first few months, lights are dim at low rpm but it will run.
  11. Caperodder

Caperodder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well......

The new 430 chain came in. I put it along side the old chain to measure and cut to length. That's when I realized that the old chain was a 530. Much fatter. So I figured, that at some point, someone did a sprocket/530 upgrade. Ok. Need to return the old chain. But wait. While I was wrapping up the new chain to put back in the box, I was noticing how wimpy the rear sprocket looked. Is is possible to run a 530 on a 430 sprocket? Pitch is the same.....

Low and behold, the 430 fits on the sprocket. I guess I can see a 530 fitting in a 430 sprocket, I can't believe that a 430 would fit on a 530 sprocket.

The rear sprocket looks very factory...the locking tabs aren't all mangled up. The count is 55 rear, 18 front. Sound right?

Also, I notice that the front sprocket is wobbly and slides on the shaft. Is that normal? Like a self centering kinda deal?

Thanks.
  12. XT350Guru

XT350Guru Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am not sure if Yamaha used different chains throughout the model history but my 1994 has 428 chain. Which is 1/2” pitch. A 530 chain has 5/8” pitch so those chains are not compatible. Maybe they started the swap but never finished. I agree they should have used a bigger chain, as even the later XT250s used 530 chain.

If the rear sprocket is stock and 428 chain I would just swap the drive sprocket back to 428. I have never heard of 430 chain.
  13. Caperodder

Caperodder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oops! Meant to say 428, not 430. I have the 428 chain on now. Fits like a glove. I'm guessing that the old chain is a 428, as the pitch is identical, much more heavy duty. Could just be my tired old eyes.
  14. Caperodder

Caperodder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok. Chain and battery out of the way; No spark. If anyone wants to point me in the right direction, before I start tearing into it, I'm all ears. Ordered a manual, but it hasn't arrived yet.

Thanks!!
  15. XT350Guru

XT350Guru Adventurer

Oddometer:
    start backwards from the coil. Here is a quick guide to check your coil.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.autoblog.com/amp/2016/08/01/how-to-test-a-spark-plug-ignition-coil/

If your coil is good, disconnect the kill switch and try again. Maybe it’s grounding out. Also check that you are in neutral or it will also ground out your coil (safety feature so you don’t start in gear).

after that you will have to check the stator, or coil trigger coil on the stator. The stator might be bad if it had a lot of water get inside the cover. Same for the trigger coil. Pull the cover off and see if it looks all rusted.

Let us know what you find. We will get you running

cheers,
    chris
  16. Caperodder

Caperodder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Will do! Thank you sir.
  17. norton73

norton73 drinkin' in the garage Supporter

Oddometer:
    also check side stand switch.
  18. ADV1602

ADV1602 n00b

Oddometer:
    From the factory, my '89 XT350 had a 19T front sprocket and a 55T rear. The front sprocket does slide and wobble just a bit.

If you haven't already, I would open the air box and inspect the air filter. When I brought my bike out of storage, the filter had started to disintegrate and mice had filled the air box with bird seed and acorns. Really glad I didn't try to start it up.
  19. Caperodder

Caperodder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All good stuff. I'll be working on it tonight.
  20. Caperodder

Caperodder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Someone quite brilliant said "check that air box first". I did, and it had a couple of extra passengers that needed to be evicted. Storing a bike outside, under a tarp = not good. Luckily a metal grill kept the critters from getting further along and into the carb. I take it that these parts are available?

Now on to the coil.

Attached Files:

TheAdmiral likes this.