The XT350 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Burtonridr, Sep 26, 2007.

1. neppi

neppi Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. Lvcks

Lvcks Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No problem. Hope it works out for you.
  3. Lvcks

Oddometer:
    Went for a ride today with the boys. Our first ride together on our restored bikes!! Haven't finished it completely, but I can't not ride. Xt350 xt225 tw200. All bikes were sitting for years and beat up and now are going strong and looking gorgeous! Hope everyone's having a good week!

Attached Files:

4. Caperodder

Caperodder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great! Wish I was there!

Hope to be up and running in about a week.
    Lvcks likes this.
  5. Lvcks

Oddometer:
    Hope all goes well!!
  6. chardog1971

chardog1971 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Getting geared up for another desert trip. We'll see if this cheap Harbor freight light helps out with the Horrible stock lights for trail riding after dark. I havent wired it up yet. Not sure where the best place to tie in is. I was thinking about the hot side of the ignition. Since I dont need the battery to operate, it wouldn't be a big deal if I spaced and leave the key on and killed it. 20210412_174501.jpg
    I may have to add a spacer 20210412_174702.jpg to aim it properly. It seems stable enough with the rubber washers I added along with the fender and lock washers. I'll find out when I light it up.
  7. mcrotty1

mcrotty1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey there are two O rings on the oil filter cover. There is a big one that goes around the filter, and a little one that goes around the bottom bolt. After a short 20 mile ride it lost 1/3 of it's oil before I noticed, found the little ring on the living room carpet. Still burns a little oil since "the incident", think I should rebuild?
    Lvcks likes this.
  8. Lvcks

Oddometer:
    Damn all this time I had that little o ring and I couldn't remember what it was for hahaha you just saved my slow leak. Thank you very much!!!
    mcrotty1 likes this.
  9. Lvcks

Oddometer:
    I like the knife mounted on there. Sweet deal! I think I see a multi tool too!
  10. chardog1971

chardog1971 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tend to carry too much. Im not too concerned about the extra weight as I dont really do overnight trips on the bike.
    I also ride solo, many miles from help so, I have self rescue gear, extra gas, water, 20210415_071004.jpg 20210415_070950.jpg bear spray, tools and spare parts. Its a drag to have to go back after your bike.
    That being said, I carry a lightweight pair of hiking shoes just in case I do have to walk out.
    Lvcks likes this.
  11. lengolad

lengolad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a '99. 34,000 km, and quite clean, so I figure it's got a few years left in it. Happy so far! ;-) Well, mostly... I do have a few questions:
    1. Has anyone swapped out the switch gear for something with self-cancelling signal lights (where you press the signal button and it returns the switch to the middle)?
    2. Is there a generally accepted setting for the pilot screw? I waded through the first couple dozen pages and picked up some info, but I'm not sure I'm up for over 300!
    3. I've got a bit of a short "wheelbase" myself, and I saw a few teasers early on in the thread about "moving the retaining clip down" on the rear shock to lower the suspension. Can anyone refer me to instructions--or even better, pictures--for how to do that?
    Appreciate any help!
  12. Caperodder

Caperodder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As far as #2 is concerned, I backed mine out until the idle popping stopped, then continued till it ran a little rough, then went the other way, (inward), till is sounded nice and smooth.
  13. Caperodder

Caperodder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally, I have all the parts to put the top end back together. Valves are all lapped, and she's pulling plenty of vacuum. New top end gasket kit, and Kibblewhite valve seals. Was compressing the valves and a pair of valve retaining cotters went flying into the lawn, never to be seen again. Those are now all installed. Glass blasted the cylinder and head, followed by some new black paint. Also sand blasted and painted the header pipe and exhaust. New gaskets too. Cam etc. is all within spec.

Hopefully by the weekend, I'm riding again. Temps are just getting nice!

IMG_6465.jpg IMG_6466.jpg IMG_6467.jpg
  14. lengolad

lengolad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK. That's a bit 'looser' than I had hoped... But probably a good method to nail things down once I'm in the ballpark. I found a number of settings collected together in this thread: https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-xt350-thread.270341/page-320#post-39565640 -- anywhere from 2 to 2 1/2 to 3 turns out to begin with. People should post their altitude with any carb settings they recommend. :p Anyway, thanks for the reply Caperodder!
  15. Caperodder

Caperodder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well....I can tell you that I have two identical sets of carbs. I'm at sea level. I'm out to about 5 turns on both sets.
  16. lengolad

lengolad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! 5 turns. Wow... I'm at 1150 ft, but most of my riding will be in the hills up to 5000 ft. A nice range to deal with! :p
  17. neppi

neppi Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you have to go more than the manual’s 2,5 or so turns, you should get bigger jets.
    mcrotty1 likes this.
  18. Mountboy

Mountboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also consider what you have done, but am not sure how to go into reg./rec. with AC wires.
    Can you please post a picture or wiring diagram of how you connected the AC output to the regulator / rectifier?
  19. lengolad

lengolad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Would someone be kind enough to post a picture showing tach cable routing? I think I'm good up the front frame stay (got a nice plastic clamp there), but which side of the steering stem does it go to? And then how through the wire nest behind the headlight? Thanks!
  20. Lvcks

Oddometer:
    I haven't touched the shock because I don't have the spring compressor, however to lower the seat height a bit I shaved the the foam down about an inch-inch and a half. The seat cover was bad so I was putting on on a new one at the time. Just used a sawzaw and slowly shaped to my markings with a pen. Seat is still comfortable for me granted I only weigh about 155lbs. Bike is still tall for me, but I'm able to get one foot touching the ground at least haha

Attached Files: