The XT350 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Burtonridr, Sep 26, 2007.

1. chardog1971

chardog1971 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, I recently replaced my fork seals and put longer pvc spacers in. I only cruised few miles on and a little off road before we went to Moab. It performed well. A little stiffer. Then we put the bike on the carrier rack and within a couple of hundred miles, I noticed fork oil leaking out of both sides.
    I thought the capacity in the manual was alot so I used slightly less. 2 pounds air.
    It still rides better but I have noticed a clunking when it decompresses completely. Feels the opposite of bottoming out if that makes sense. I can't remember if it was there beforehand.
    I didn't have any extra parts except for the original metal spacers. I tightened everything when I put it all back together and nothing feels wobbly so I suppose it is still okay. I rode a few hundred miles of pretty technical terrain without having any problems or further leaks.
    Should probably go with OEM seals if I can get them.
  2. neppi

neppi Long timer

Oddometer:
    It’s easy to squirt the oil outta forks with ratcheting the tie-downs too tight. I use a lenght of 2x4 between the fender and the front tyre to avoid compressing the forks too much. Not while riding, thou... ;)
  3. chardog1971

Oddometer:
    Funny you mentioned that. I stuck a piece of 2x6 I use to level my van with in there. Hasn't leaked during transport since. I figured I only lost a little of the fork oil so I'm sure that helps for sure.

I just went out and did a few wheelies and there was a definitive clunk as the wheel comes up. No bottoming out though. Same with the front brake. Stopped fast but no bottoming there either.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  4. mentolio

mentolio King of the island of unwanted toys...

Oddometer:
    When you did the seals did you take the forks completely apart? If so, make sure your forks have the “Rebound Spring” (part #10 & 33) installed in between the top of the damper tube and the bottom of the fork tube (upper). That spring is there to keep your forks from banging when the extend. If it’s in the wrong place of missing entirely, that is likely your “bang” when the forks extend. 95B422A0-2917-41B2-8D87-5174768C378A.png
  5. chardog1971

Oddometer:
    I feel like I didn't break it down that far but, I dont recall removing said parts.
    It's supposed to rain this weekend so I guess I will have to take it apart and see if the rebound springs are installed correctly. Like I said, no extra parts in the end. Mabey they both went flying upon disassembly. I dont have a good work area and I loose things in the dirt occasionally.
  6. chardog1971

Oddometer:
    I was thinking about the fork seals after my last post. After all the effort to take all that apart and change the spacer and seal, I realize that you probably don't need to disassemble the fork to change the seals. Seems removing the legs from the triple tree and popping the circlip out, you should be able to pull the seal with a small angled pick. Slide it up the tube and done.
    Just a thought at 6 am. I should make some coffee
  7. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Adding spaccers only affects the ride height, you dont change the springrate this way.
    Adding too long spaccers will have the fork bind up before it reaches full travel.
  8. chardog1971

Oddometer:
    That would make sense. Either way, the steering seems somewhat more responsive. I do have bar risers on it which also helps. Some people have claimed they negatively affect the steering geometry. Works great for me.
    I hadn't thought about ride height so, I didn't measure or anything like that. I can't say I noticed a difference riding but it would have to be pretty minimal.
  9. mentolio

mentolio King of the island of unwanted toys...

Oddometer:
    You can certainly remove fork seals without disassembling them, I’ve used a small, flat blade screwdriver as I was shown to do by “the devil” when I worked at a bike shop. But...damper-rod forks...it’s just so easy to disassemble them! And once apart, you can clean and inspect everything (slider bushings for one!). I have a few damper rods in the parts bin that need new nylon “glide” bushings. Would never know that if I didn’t take them all the way down.
  10. Shortrounds

Shortrounds n00b

Oddometer:
    So I’ve been restoring a 1997 xt350 and I’m in search of a few parts. It hasn’t been on the road in about 12 or 13 years. It was my dads and he parked it in the shed and there it sat. It has 4200 miles. After much work and lots of new parts it’s almost road worthy. The float is bent badly so I’ve got a new one coming. The only other thing I’ve found that I have left to fix is the front brake disc is bent badly and also the piston in the front caliper is stuck and the seals are toast. Hoping to find a used disc but haven’t had any luck with that yet.

I rode this bike when I was a teenager and I’m excited to get her back on the road after all these years.
    Rallyvet likes this.
  11. chardog1971

Oddometer:
    There was a guy a while back on this thread who offered me one. Not sure if anyone else took him up on the offer. I think it was about 6 month ago. I see them occasionally on eBay.
  12. lengolad

lengolad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very cool! That's the best kind of stuff to find in the shed. ;-) I have my dad's '76 CB750K, which also sat for many years and needed some TLC. While applying said TLC I got the notion to update it. :p It's now got a GSX-R750 front end--so called "upside down" forks, dual discs, etc. I'm still applying some finishing touches, but it's close! Of course, buying my XT350 hasn't helped move that project forward... Anyway, I wish you well with your project!
  13. Shortrounds

Shortrounds n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys! I’ve been reading through this thread and I’ve gained a ton of info. It has helped a lot.

Anybody know if a brake caliper off of an 86 XT350 will fit a 97? Haven’t had any luck figuring that out
  14. Higher Logic

Higher Logic Delightfully Altered

Oddometer:
    I miss my old XT 350. It was a great bike for what it was.

P1010303.jpeg
  15. Shortrounds

Shortrounds n00b

Oddometer:
    Cool pic Ever. For my uses I think the XT350 will be just about perfect.
  16. chardog1971

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure the brakes remained the same throughout production
  17. lengolad

lengolad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just did a little search on partzilla.com. I began with a 1985 XT350. The good news is, front caliper seal kit is part no. 34X-W0047-00-00 ($22.34; https://www.partzilla.com/product/y...?ref=e109f52c2c8e883dfaa0f03c1954bdde55a78490). If you scroll down the "Related fitment" section (lower right), you can see all the bikes and years it fits--XT225, TT225, XT600, etc. It's the same part no. for the XT350 through all model years. Just to cross-check, I searched for the front caliper seal kit for a 1999 XT350, and it pulled up the same part number.
    If you can get away with just a seal kit, that would be awesome. But if you need a new caliper, while the diagram /looks/ the same between the 1985 and 2000 (hard to trust a diagram, I know...), there are three different numbers spread through the years: 1985, 1986-1995, and 1996-2000. Unfortunately, '86 and '97 are different part numbers. But if you're looking for a used part (partzilla doesn't have any available), that might give you something to go on. For what it's worth...
  18. Lvcks

Lvcks Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I finally got my hands on those air scoops. I swear it's been many moons since. Well just won it on eBay at least haha. Once I paint them and set um up I'll update with some pics! Also I stripped the oil filter cap bottom bolt so I need to re-tap and finish that. Been busy with other projects. Was building my brother in laws klr650. Pretty much done, just waiting on a few parts. Anyways congrats on the new xt350 owners. I love this bike, it won't disappoint!!
  19. mrwiltbank

mrwiltbank n00b

Oddometer:
    Did you get the universal Trail Tech that has the magnet deal for the speedometer? Also do you like the vapor?
    Two-wheeled likes this.
  20. Two-wheeled

Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What tire sizes are you running on your XT350s, especially the rear? I'm interested in getting the widest rear on it that won't cause problems.

Also, while you're at it, any recommendations for pretty aggressive DOT approved tires?

Thanks!