The XT350 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Burtonridr, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Lvcks

Lvcks Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah I got the universal one. I love it! It's pretty easy to set up and its accurate. The only thing would be that the odometer starts fresh so write down your mileage when you install the vapor. It's got 3 screens with different info on each. When I get home I'll look for the exact part number if you decide to get one. I know there were two similar ones and I needed the one that would fit the spark plug diameter for the temp sensor. I can also walk you through wiring if you need.
  2. mrwiltbank

mrwiltbank n00b

Oddometer:
    That would be awesome, does it read the tachometer also? And if you don't mind me asking how much was the set up?
  3. Lvcks

Oddometer:
    I have the Shinko 700 series 4.60 - 18 in the rear and 3.00 - 21 in the front. These are DOT approved. I wouldn't say they are that aggresive. I was looking for a more street oriented tire on mine. Took it for a ride down a long dirt/gravel/coral road and I was a drift master haha. It was a little bit scary at first compared to my usual ride down on my tdub with dirt tires. Can't really make any recommendations on tires. This is my first set on the bike since the restore. For street they are awesome though. I take turns almost sideways haha
  4. Lvcks

Oddometer:
    Yup theres a tach on there and you can set it to warn at certain rpms. Also you can set shift rpms. I bought mine on motosport.com for 150. Optional thing I bought was just a fuse to put in between the ignition and vapor just in case. Also if you want to have dash lights, you can either buy the vapor attatchment for about 50 bucks, or some aftermarket dash lights to throw on a custom dash like I did.
  5. lengolad

lengolad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got a 4.60 rear on mine. I just bought a new 'second hand' 120/80 rear tire that came off a CRF450 (IRC Trails GP-22R; owner swapped it out before his first ride--still has the nibs on it). None of the dealers in my area had much for 18 inch rear tires, so I was thankful for that! 4.60 ~ 120 match up pretty close on the conversion charts I've seen. I can't imagine going much wider than that, but I'm interested to hear what others are running!
    Interestingly, CycleChaos reports that the 'stock' tire was 110/80 (https://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_XT350). A picture at CycleChaos shows a 120/100 - 18 on the rear (https://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/File:1991-yamaha-xt350-2.jpg).
  6. Lvcks

Oddometer:
    Here's some pics of the magnet bolt that goes on the brake pad and the sensor for the speedo

Attached Files:

mrwiltbank likes this.
  7. Shortrounds

Shortrounds n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the help fellas. I found a great deal on a front brake caliper off of an 87 xt350 so I figured I’d give it a shot. Everything matched up and it was a perfect fit. Works perfect.
  8. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have L/R plastic side covers they’re willing to sell? Inexpensively. Thus far eBay has been a bust.
  9. Shortrounds

Shortrounds n00b

Oddometer:
    29A0A2ED-FAEB-426A-BBF1-3FE82E369FE0.jpeg 4D6713B6-1C70-4504-9081-180445CF511A.jpeg First ride in a very long time. She’s running great
    Lvcks likes this.
  10. chardog1971

chardog1971 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went with the Tusk DS. I have probably 2500 miles on them so far. 80% dirt. They're good on the road but, I feel like the front washes out in the sand pretty easily. Next set, I'll go with a bigger front. The rear is 120 -90 18. No problem with fitment and they out performed the original Trail Wings 1000%.
  11. psvfan

psvfan n00b

Oddometer:
    Looking for parts for an XT350. What is the difference between XT350A and XT350AC?
  12. mentolio

mentolio King of the island of unwanted toys...

Oddometer:
    AC=California model (charcoal canister and leaner jetting)? Not 100% on this.
  13. psvfan

psvfan n00b

Oddometer:
    I thought so, but I could not find anything that spelled it out. Thanks for the help.
  14. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Put a Motoz Mountain Hybrid on the rear replacing the Shinko 244. So far due to grandkids and rain, I've only done a test ride around the neighborhood. This weekend I hope to put it to the test. I ride 95% off-pavement. There is a Gummy Version of this but I don't take this heavy beast on singletrack very often and when I do it better be easy stuff.
    IMG_3986.jpg
  15. chardog1971

chardog1971 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I bought mine last year, it had the cannister removed and the port on the side of the carb had beenplugged. It only had 185 miles on it and the PO said it came that way. The bike was originally sold in Montana, as far as I know, so I wonder if the dealer changed the jetting. I do have some lean issues though. Curious.. .
  16. XT350Guru

XT350Guru Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys. I had my first trail riding session yesterday with the KYB front fork conversion and I was happier than expected with the results. The bile handles rough terrain so much better, and I was able to ride much faster.

i would highly recommend this mod to anyone who wants to upgrade suspension.

also I am starting my next mod project. I am tired of these YPS carbs, don’t like the setup. I have two TM24 flat slide carburetors on order, I’m going to try to run dual TM24s. I expect to have to do a lot of jet tuning, going to start with 125 main jets, and 41 slow and go from there. For the cable I plan on robbing a throttle cable off an old snowmobile as I have heard a lot of those are twin carb.

I’ll post my carb mod as the parts come in.

Cheers

Attached Files:

TheAdmiral likes this.
  17. lengolad

lengolad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Donor bike (can't be a stock triple, can it)? Details? Did you have to get a new stem turned, or was it a bolt-on conversion? [I'm puttin a GSX-R750 front end on my '76 Honda CB750, but it required a new stem...]
    So I've been meaning to ask about the carb(s)... I've read some reviews / seen some comments that Yamaha's YDIS (Yamaha Dual Intake System) carb is supposed to be the equivalent of a 4-bbl on a V8 -- scaled down, of course! But some people talk about a 'kick' when the secondary opens up: "Wheelies in first three gears," etc. I'm afraid I'm not seeing that... Should I be with well-tuned carbs, or should I be content with a bike that usually starts in three kicks cold / one warm, and pulls through the gears without a hiccup? I don't want to mess with 'success', but if there's more to be had...! ;-P
  18. XT350Guru

XT350Guru Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I detailed the conversion earlier up in this thread.

As far as the carbs (YDIS not YPS as you say) yes it is similar to a 4 barrel carb. If your happy with it then I would keep it. For me it’s just always seemed like it could do better with flat side carbs. Which tend to run better in rough terrain
  19. Lvcks

Oddometer:
    Finally got the air scoops after like 6 months of looking ahaha and painted up. Recently acquired a ke100 so I'm turning that into the tracker style bike. How's the other XTs out there doing?

Attached Files:

20. lengolad

lengolad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice, Lvcks! I like the scoops, largely non-functional as they are... They suggest bigger things! :-)

Re. other XTs: my 17 year-old son just bought a '97 XT350! Like father, like son... ;-) Except he got a better deal on his, with 10,000 few km on it (just over 20,000 total)! :p It's in relatively decent shape (there's always a bolt to be tightened here or a setting to be adjusted there; one of the vents is missing the upper tab -- it's only held on by the lower bolt, but we'll figure something out). The worst of it was a pretty bad mid-range stumble. It starts first or second kick (!), idles steady, but pour on the throttle and it would sputter and kick, but sometimes pick up again at high rpm. He pulled the carb(s) yesterday and went through them. They were very clean, and he didn't find anything out of sorts inside -- no blocked passages, they synced nicely, etc., etc.; which is good, but also a bit disappointing -- we wanted to find something to account for the stumble... Well, we found it right at the end! The pilot screw was just over 3 turns out; the book says 2 turns, +/- 1/2. He set his at 2 turns, put it all back together, and went for a ride. He was gone for a long time, and I told my wife either his bike died or it's running so well he doesn't want to come home. Thankfully, it was the latter! He took a run up in the hills until he had to switch to reserve! :p He's chuffed that he can roll on the throttle to clear a fallen log, and actually get the front wheel up, rather than bogging out and plowing into it. So there's a success story for the much maligned dual carb setup! One removal tip: pull the airbox side pipes right off (i.e., carb side and airbox side -- pull them right out) to gain clearance to remove the carbs. And one assembly tip: a bit of grease on the engine side carb throats makes getting them in to the "fragile" boots a breeze.