The XT350 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Burtonridr, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Lvcks

Lvcks Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks lengolad Hahaha yeah they are purely aesthetic! I actually want to now mount some other plastics to those scoops to make it look a bit more updated. Not sure which scoops I'll use. Looking at some yz250 ones.

That's awesome your son got one. Glad you were able to figure out the carb. I hear all the horror stories. Somehow I haven't had too much problems with my carb. I haven't synced it or anything. I did up the jets twice after putting the DG exhaust though. It's managed to squeeze out 91mph!!! I've never went there again though as I'm afraid it'll blow up haha. Can't wait till my daughter can ride a big bike. Just got her a little Pw50 to replace her little electric one. Glad she enjoys riding as much as I do! Post some pics on the bikes I love seeing XTs!!!
  2. lengolad

lengolad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    '99 (black seat), '97 (blue seat) 20210606_191935.jpg
    Lvcks likes this.
  3. Lvcks

Oddometer:
    Damn those things are cleannnnnn! Refreshing to see them stock. Look at those tanks!
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  4. lengolad

lengolad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh, they've got their nicks and dings (you can see a dent under the red 'T' on the '97), but yeah, they're pretty sweet! Previous owners were kind. ;-)
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  5. Lvcks

Oddometer:
    That's awesome though. This was mine when I got it haha

Attached Files:

6. XT350Guru

XT350Guru Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys,

I got a question that I am hoping someone can confirm for me. I’m in the process of upgrading my rear shock on my XT and before I look at aftermarket shocks I was wondering if anyone knew if the TT350 rear shock will fit on the XT350? The body of the shock LOOKS the same but has an external reservoir and can only assume that it’s better than the non-reservoir XT shock. I realize the reservoir itself might need to have a special mount made, and I’m fine with that.

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Chris
  7. lengolad

lengolad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @XT350Guru: Your question got a "Probably not" earlier in this thread (https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-xt350-thread.270341/page-19#post-9359340). But @Lenz1 seems to indicate the Aussie version of the TT350 does fit (https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-xt350-thread.270341/page-163#post-20539348; more discussion before and after this post). @gearheadE30 offers some options here (https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-xt350-thread.270341/page-168#post-21287499) which @backroadbob.com "updates" (https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-xt350-thread.270341/page-168#post-21371998). More discussion here (https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-xt350-thread.270341/page-169#post-21467994), an interesting link here (https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-xt350-thread.270341/page-163#post-20501423), Banshee, etc., shocks dismissed here (https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-xt350-thread.270341/page-170#post-21578188), and some collected "shock" wisdom here (https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-xt350-thread.270341/page-321#post-39565687). Read backward and forward at each link for context / other replies.

Hope that helps!

PS You can limit your search to "this thread only" with the search tool in the upper right corner. It's pretty handy that way. ;-)
    Lvcks, Eatmore Mudd and XT350Guru like this.
  8. XT350Guru

XT350Guru Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks @lengolad. I really appreciate your help, and that search feature is amazing! I am fairly new to the Forum World.

As far as the shock discussion. I was curious to see what the owners manuals said, as I know in the XT manual it specs the rear shock length.
    To be thorough for the group, I clipped the information from each manual and listed the year.

Based on what I see I think I can manage the extra 0.8" of length. Im going to bite the bullet and pick up a TT350 rear shock and I will report back on how well it slaps in. XT350vsTT350Shock.png
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  9. XT350Guru

XT350Guru Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys,

I have finally received the carburetors that I plan on using to replaced the stock carbs. Personally I don't really have a problem with the stock carbs, I did re-jet them at least 3 times but eventually got them to run great. My main reason for replacing is mostly because parts are hard to find, and expensive.

Here they are. Two PWK28 Carburetors. Center to center distance is good, although I might have to trim 1/8" of the inside bowl vents. These are the PWK 28mm Power Jet carbs with Quad Vents. So there are four vents on each carb to make sure you never have fuel blocking the vent. As well as a power jet, that basically helps the main jet at WOT and adds even more fuel. (That's the jet on the top side of the air inlet side with the hose going down to the bowl.

I will keep the group updated on how well this goes. I got a bunch of spare jets so I will confirm what I end up using and how these compare to the stock carb setup. Be it worse or better (Maybe Yamaha was on to something)
    carbs.jpg
    Eatmore Mudd, Lvcks and TheAdmiral like this.
  10. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for doing this. Nice to have options should our original carb system on the XT's take a terminal non-repairable turn south. :thumb
    XT350Guru likes this.
  11. Lvcks

Oddometer:
    Yes thanks for doing this!! I've wanted to do something like this, but have too many bikes to build haha
    XT350Guru likes this.
  12. XT350Guru

XT350Guru Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally got my front forks rebuilt and back on the bike after the initial conversion. Now that I have new seals and the correct fork oil they are outperforming the stock XT350 forks like never before. Really transformed the bike for me, off-road the performance when riding "Whops" and rough terrain is amazing. Here is a pic for the ride this weekend, I was only riding local roads so I had covers off (Naked). My stock carb setup is performing very well, after a lot of experimentation and re-jetting I have found a pod filter combination that works well and has not dead spots on pod filters that feels like it outperforms the stock air box. The amount of jets/filters I tested with was ridiculous but it was worth it. YamahaXT350(2021).jpg
    Eatmore Mudd, RC. and Lvcks like this.
  13. Lvcks

Oddometer:
    Took a nice ride the other day. I love this bike :nod

Attached Files:

XT350Guru likes this.
  14. lengolad

lengolad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just to help future forum readers: XT350Guru detailed his fork conversion here (https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-xt350-thread.270341/page-330#post-41469128). Nice work, man!
    Eatmore Mudd, XT350Guru and Lvcks like this.
  15. lengolad

lengolad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And well you should -- it's looking sweet! There's lots to like about these bikes. And contentment is a good thing. ;-) [Of course, if something's broken, go ahead and fix it; but beyond that it becomes chasing a dream, and maybe a different bike would be a better fit. Having said that, XT350Guru's fork conversion is pretty cool! :p]
    XT350Guru and Lvcks like this.
  16. chardog1971

chardog1971 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The fork conversion would make the XT awesome. I recently bought a DRZ 400 and the suspension is night and day.
    I did have to increase the clickers and spring tension on the rear and i set the front a little stiffer on the rebound and compression.
    After riding all day my arms felt good.
    Now that I have two good bikes Im thinking about going for a fork upgrade.
    Lvcks and XT350Guru like this.
  17. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Independence Day riding on FS roads up to an old lookout and a little easy singletrack. XT350 is a bit big & heavy for harder single but this was fine.
    IMG_4131.jpg

07.png
    chardog1971 and Lvcks like this.
  18. XT350Guru

XT350Guru Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Let me know if you have any questions related to the fork conversion.

One thing I discovered that I had to temporarily work around is that I had to use the stock YZ250 front tire with the conversion. It has a better disk brake but down side is that it has a rim lock on it. Which for anyone who has tried to ride a rim lock front rim on the road will know it take a shit ton (I mean 100g) of counterweights on my spokes to balance. I have already ordered two of the ultralight rim locks, I will install a second rim lock, 180 degrees apart so almost no weights are required to balance. This way i can still run low psi, which is why i dont want to just remove it. Small hickup in my mind. This season its counterweights as i am lazy AF to take the tire off.
    Cheers,

Chris
    Lvcks and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  19. mrwiltbank

mrwiltbank n00b

Oddometer:
    I need a rear fender cover, the piece that is between the fender and the brake light. The ones I'm finding on ebay are $80 at the least, are there any aftermarket options or could I 3D print something?
    Lvcks likes this.
  20. XT350Guru

XT350Guru Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have what you need. Pm me, we can figure it out and I’ll ship it to you.
    Lvcks likes this.