The XT550 Thread: Info, Stories and Mods Inside!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by XTwarrior, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Lars Chr.

Lars Chr. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gentlemen, please help me out.

I have dissassembled the clutch and measured the friction plates. They are (8 of them) all close to 2.8 mm. When I look in the service manual, it seems as if there are two wear limits. If the friction plate is 3mm stock the limit is 2.8 mm. If the plate is 2.8mm stock, the limit is 2.6.

How do I know which limit to use?

Clutch.jpg
  2. MrrHouse

MrrHouse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think it was the second and last plate that are thinner.
  3. MrrHouse

MrrHouse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    15695275626002460644637121570615.jpg

I checked the book and yup 2nd and last plate
  4. Lars Chr.

Lars Chr. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ha ha - it's all about consulting the right book, thanks. You are absolutely right. When I look in the paper edition (1982) i find the following:

IMG_2012.jpg

5. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi gang....
    Im chasing some rough running/idling and hard starting on my xt550. It kinda skips a beat every 2-3 secs at idle, and can be a bitch to restart when warm.
    Valves are within spec, plenty of compression, and decom-cable adjusted to 1mm slack

Its kinda been this way since I purchased it, but I just found some fresh energy to get it sorted.
    I've ohmed out all the connectors from the stator, and they all check out fine according to specs in the manual
    I've also submerged the stator in petroleum and meassure again to try and rule out shortings.

The stator has a few weird things going on, the epoxy looks kinda sketchy in a few places, but dont know if its always been like that.
    Theres a few places with small holes, but the wires could still be well sealed underneath.
    Theres a pole/winding thats a bit darker and is slightly black, but I've seen that before on other working stators. It doesnt look burned out.

I've also tested meassured ohm right after a trip, on a warm bike, they were still within specs.

Any inputs?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. jjxtrider

jjxtrider questionable

Oddometer:
    Several of my xt's had that "miss" at idle,, didn't seem to matter rich or lean. My built one quit it when I put on the HPI cdi but it's a 600 and a better stator /pckup. I think the oem parts tend to lose signals or send weak ones that cause a no spark every so many triggers at low rpm when the cdi has to hold the spark delay so long as opposed to higher rpms and much less delay. Spark may be sent just too early or too late. Was always going to put a spark light on one to watch for uneven sparks but wasn't a high priority.

The hard starting hot is normal when a little rich but even jetted good some tend to suck one last squirt of fuel after the ignition is shut off and the heat vaporizes it replacing O2 till it's kicked enough to air it out or a cooler motor liquefies the fuel out of the air. I put an aluminium plate between the carbs and motor to keep them cooler as well with success, at least helped quit a bit. Locking the throttle open after shutdown will also help vapors evaporate but don't kick it in that condition, an ER trip may result.
  7. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tested with a different stator, which was also in spec. With that, the bike starts much better, and can idle well below 1000rpm with no misfires. Seemed to start up perfectly fine when warmed up aswell.
    So I think I'll get my stator rewound, or replace it with a known good one.
    Will keep you guys updated.
  8. Lars Chr.

Lars Chr. Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bought a secondhand stator, bike fired right up. Have been chasing this fault for a year, weird that my stator checks out, but is bad.
    It idles nice, and i can make the bike take of in 1st gear just by letting the clutch out slowly. So stoked!

I made a whole new wiring harness for the bike, replacing one wire at a time. The PO's have really hacked up the wiring, the same wire would be soldered/spliced up to 5 times. I simplified the wiring a bit, and now i know every part of it.
    Westcoasthumpin likes this.
  10. Westcoasthumpin

Westcoasthumpin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Noticed some fuel under the bike. Looks like some idiot left the fuel petcock open ...
    Bike seemed flooded. When I get it started saw some oily gas dripping from the air filters. Oh well it needed an oil change.

Anyway, here are a few pictures from a couple of weeks ago.
    20191021_101854.jpg 20191021_112642.jpg EFFECTS.jpg
    Hope everyone has been able to enjoy some fall riding.
    jjxtrider, pete63 and MrrHouse like this.
  11. Westcoasthumpin

Oddometer:
    While the bike is down, I plan to replace the oil check ball valve. Do you recommend replacing just the seat or all three components? (Seat, ball, and spring)

Also where is a good place to purchase these parts?
  12. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    www.kedo.com (In Germany) 10 euro or something like that for the 3 parts as a set.

Bike shouldnt leak even with fuel on, needle valve should close off fuelflow regardless.
  13. jjxtrider

jjxtrider questionable

Oddometer:
    I used to get stuff from Partzilla , IF they actually have the parts in stock , which became only about 20% of the time , you have to call(not order online) and have them physically verify otherwise they'll just let you order and then a week later an email about it being another 3 weeks , and then nothing for months sometimes. You can order them for the newer 600's , maybe more likely to have in stock . RMATV and others may be just as good but some parts are a crapshoot .

14. Westcoasthumpin

Oddometer:
    You are correct. I will need to look into the carb as well. By habit I shut the fuel off, even when I park for short periods of time. This time I left it on for over a week.
  15. ravenous

ravenous n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello, fellow XT550 riders!
    A couple of years ago I did a 550 project. Found a really nice '82 550 and ripped it apart, and turned it into a retro-supermoto beast.
    Used an IT swingarm, KX500 forks, disc brakes front and rear, Raceguns exhaust, new safety style seat, new signal and tail lights and instruments, and a 635cc motor. For wheels, I used 17 inch SM wheels from Warp9. The old thing is one of my favourites in our stable. It absolutely rips and is a total headturner.
    Anyway, I'm not writing this to brag about my old bike,haha, but I'm doing some shop cleaning, and I have all the original parts, wheels, forks, swingarm,seat,etc,etc. Is anyone interested in this stuff? Its all in really nice shape. I live up in Canada, but ship stuff to and from the states frequently. Not looking to get rich from these parts, but I would like to see them go to a good home. I also would like to get rid of it all in one lot. If someone can pay the shipping, plus a few bucks for my time, I would be happy.
    Thanks.
    robraeinymir@gmail.com
  16. Westcoasthumpin

Oddometer:
    Let's see a picture of your bike.:ricky
  17. ravenous

ravenous n00b

Oddometer:
  18. ravenous

ravenous n00b

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmmm.....not sure why it shows two pictures?
  19. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine taking form
    Xt550 ved pwc.jpg
    Squily, pete63 and Westcoasthumpin like this.
  20. Westcoasthumpin

Oddometer:
    I bought a Wix filter off of amazon.
    Stuffed it in and my cover wouldn't fit back on. Upon closer inspection, the end is too long. It is also roughly machined and sharp not rolled like edge on the other filter. (I dont recall the brand of the other filter)

I even noticed some metal shavings!

Is anyone running Wix filters? If so is this the correct part number? (Amazon assured me it fits my 1983 Yamaha XT550 lol)

I have a feeling I recieved a factory second or a knockoff.
    20191209_151600.jpg